ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Best fuel in France (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/702155-best-fuel-in-france.html)

[-(o)-] 24 July 2008 12:45 PM

Best fuel in France

About to head over the channel for a couple of weeks and been looking at the Shell website. They're spread pretty thinly - anyone know the best French alternatives to V-Power to be on the lookout for?

I've got a few bottles of octane booster just incase :Suspiciou

alcazar 24 July 2008 01:07 PM

Don't worry, every garage you come across, and all supermarkets, even tiny ones in villages, (IF they have fuel), will sell 98 octane fuel.

AND it's only a couple of cents dearer than the 95 stuff.:)

My Scoob runs on it with no problems, the KL never lights up, and my car is remapped for Optimax.

DO be aware that:

The stuff you want is marked "Sans Plomb 98"

Motorway fuel is MUCH dearer than at supermarkets, it's often worth a small detour if you have the time.

Your British credit card may cause problems AT THE PUMPS, ie: after hours, but will be OK inside the kiosk.

On motorways, fuel prices are displayed on approach of the service area, and fuel TYPE is given as is the distance to the next three or four garages and THEIR fuel type.

As stated, mine runs well on cheapy tiny supermarket 98 stuff.

Enjoy.

Oh, and if you think folk look at Scoobs HERE, wait 'till you get over there!;)

Alcazar

markGT 24 July 2008 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 8026288)
Don't worry, every garage you come across, and all supermarkets, even tiny ones in villages, (IF they have fuel), will sell 98 octane fuel.

AND it's only a couple of cents dearer than the 95 stuff.:)

My Scoob runs on it with no problems, the KL never lights up, and my car is remapped for Optimax.

DO be aware that:

The stuff you want is marked "Sans Plomb 98"

Motorway fuel is MUCH dearer than at supermarkets, it's often worth a small detour if you have the time.

Your British credit card may cause problems AT THE PUMPS, ie: after hours, but will be OK inside the kiosk.

On motorways, fuel prices are displayed on approach of the service area, and fuel TYPE is given as is the distance to the next three or four garages and THEIR fuel type.

As stated, mine runs well on cheapy tiny supermarket 98 stuff.

Enjoy.

Oh, and if you think folk look at Scoobs HERE, wait 'till you get over there!;)

Alcazar

Spot on, I live in France and every petrol station has 98 (been like this in France for ages). You'll find plenty of Shell garages on the autoroutes but not many in town. Just use the super markets like Leclerc, Auchan, or Carrfour etc. Bieng running my STI, EVO and DC2 Type R for three years without any probs. As above be prepared for a lot of stares, Scoobs are very rare in France, people just stand and point when I take the STI out and everybody wants to talk to you about it:thumb:. Alot different from the UK I imagine.

[-(o)-] 24 July 2008 03:15 PM

:thumb: Thanks. Sounds a lot more organised than over here.

And I'd better start practising my French... :lol1:

SqeekyMclean 24 July 2008 05:01 PM

Figured not many left hand drive scoobs

Don't the frogs own elf... They not doing high octane stuff yet?

gussy 24 July 2008 06:14 PM

Ditto to everything that has been said also just be careful of the speed cameras in the motorway flyover posts and if it rains drop your speed its one of the strange driving laws in France must admit to been caught out 3 times last year with the speed cameras.......mind you nothing came through the post and the road signage system is a lot better than over here as well.

rbaz 24 July 2008 06:45 PM

Yeah as said above almost all supermarkets have 98ron fuel and much cheaper than on the motorways.

Maybe depends where you go but I have never passed another Scooby in France in my car yet very rare. Although I have seen a Scooby cop car on a motorway when I was in the van.
At least you don’t get the look at that boy racing chav stare here I have had people hanging out of windows in front of me taking pictures :lol1:

Have a good trip keep off the motorways and main roads if you fancy a blast they tend to have mobile traps on them and the fines are instant or they will take your car here is a pic of the camera warning sign :thumb:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...peed_sign2.jpg

Removed. 24 July 2008 09:32 PM

I buy whatever I can in France, we only have 97RON here, so cheapo 98RON is a treat. I actually find my car goes further on a tank of Elf than Esso/Shell. Supermarket stuff is fine. The newer pumps work with Chip & PIN, but i usually try to get a fill up before the booth's are closed. The missus and I check to see if we can spot "Spam in a can":).

You do get good reactions to a Scooby in France. I've even had people wait to speak to me in supermarket car parks because they want to ask about the Scooby, or my numbers only registration.

Looie 24 July 2008 10:19 PM

What a good thread.........

Lots of useful information - I've printed that info off for the future as I will never be able to find this thread later on in the Summer when I need it!

:thumb:

billsandhu 24 July 2008 10:24 PM

How much is fuel in France?

Removed. 24 July 2008 11:23 PM

Think it was about €1.40 when I was there in June.

rbaz 25 July 2008 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky (Post 8027922)
Think it was about €1.40 when I was there in June.

Its a bit higher than that now :( where we are.
98ron was about €1.51 last time I put some in. Diesel is about €1.42 at the moment.