ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Failed MOT due to tinted windows (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/701956-failed-mot-due-to-tinted-windows.html)

wrx450 23 July 2008 09:41 AM

Failed MOT due to tinted windows

Failed MOT in Cyprus due to tinted front side windows (amongst other things). Was told by one place that in needed to put a bung in the exhaust as the hole was too big :wonder: . Nothing about the noise which he did not even hear.

Anyway a new law that has been passed does not allow stick on tint unless the glass itself is tinted (rather than a film tint).

Does anyone know if there is s supplier of tinted glass (not film) in the UK. The alternative is to remove, get MOT, replace for about £60 and remove and replace at each MOT every two years and then hope I do not get a roadside inspection which is wishful thinking with an STi.

I could not imagine driving without some tint given the summer in Cyprus.

dazdavies 23 July 2008 10:05 AM

Same rules apply here mate. Unless the film is a clear security film you're not allowed any kind of tinted film on the windows.

If you had dark tinted glass over here I also think this would be a problem.

20withascooby 23 July 2008 11:24 AM

nope theres no part in the MOT that states about front window tints only sunstrips on the front window but the police will pull you but it will go through a MOT over here

HT04 23 July 2008 12:21 PM

my vectra has dark windows all round and has never failed. and whenever i see the traffic police up ahead i drop the front windows. has never let me down.

nik52wrx 23 July 2008 12:53 PM

What if its pi**ing down :lol1:

Originally Posted by HT04 (Post 8024189)
my vectra has dark windows all round and has never failed. and whenever i see the traffic police up ahead i drop the front windows. has never let me down.

20withascooby 23 July 2008 12:54 PM

you only put em down while u go past the copper then they go back up after

HT04 23 July 2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 8024293)
What if its pi**ing down :lol1:

lol. i prefer to get wet, than get a ticket :thumb:

wrx287 23 July 2008 12:58 PM

Had dark tints on mine for 2 years now and never been pulled for them. Just lucky i guess:D

Mikkel 23 July 2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by HT04 (Post 8024298)
lol. i prefer to get wet, than get a ticket :thumb:

PMSL now that's what I call ingenuity... or is it stupidity... who cares, spot on :lol1:

WRXMATT 23 July 2008 01:14 PM

The two front side windows and windscreen must allow 70% light through (so only a 30% tint is allowed).

As a referance the normal tint on glass of most new cars is just below 30% so anything elso is illegal.

The coppers need a tint measuring device that some forces have. Thye cannot judge it by sight alone. They can hold the vehicle and get VOSA to check it though. Also if you are in a traffic collision and you have tints, they may put the tints as a contributing factor (especially at night).

If caught with them, a few things they can do are:

Warn you and ask you to get them taken off asap.

Get you to remove the tints there and then.

Put an order on the car to remain where it is until the tints are removed. If seen driving it again then it will be seized.

Give you a ticket.

Give you a notice to go and get them removed and then have it stamped by an MOT station (at your cost) then produce that to a police station.

Hope this helps, nothing more embarrasing tha ripping your tints off by the side of the road lol.

Matt