ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone come across "National Homebuyers"? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/701791-anyone-come-across-national-homebuyers.html)

Brun 22 July 2008 03:01 PM

Anyone come across "National Homebuyers"?

Me and my lass were well on our way to buying a new house (not too far from completion) until the people who were buying our's have pulled out. We are unable to buy the new house without selling so we are looking at all options. My Lass was watching the box and came across the advert for National Home Buyers. She has rung and spoken to them and it all seems fine!!!. They guarantee (sp?) to offer on the home and charge £398 for the pleasure. Obviously we accept that the offer is gonna be below the asking price, but the question is - how much below. Has anyone used this lot or anyone similar? I'm thinking that the offer is gonna be completely rubbish and they will get their £398 and run....

Brun 22 July 2008 03:19 PM

Just been doing some research around the net and it appears that the offer they make is liable to be sh1te :( and then some :(

NACRO 22 July 2008 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 8021905)
Me and my lass were well on our way to buying a new house (not too far from completion) until the people who were buying our's have pulled out. We are unable to buy the new house without selling so we are looking at all options. My Lass was watching the box and came across the advert for National Home Buyers. She has rung and spoken to them and it all seems fine!!!. They guarantee (sp?) to offer on the home and charge £398 for the pleasure. Obviously we accept that the offer is gonna be below the asking price, but the question is - how much below. Has anyone used this lot or anyone similar? I'm thinking that the offer is gonna be completely rubbish and they will get their £398 and run....

If it looks too good to be true..............

Anyone who watches this sort of advert on TV and thinks 'that's a good idea' needs bolt gunning IMO.

Coffin Dodger 22 July 2008 03:23 PM

The fact that they want money up front before making you an offer would have me running a mile.

Great idea for a scam though especially in the current climate. :D

boxst 22 July 2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8021962)
Great idea for a scam though especially in the current climate. :D

Yes that is what I thought.

Steve

Deep Singh 22 July 2008 03:30 PM

Its such a good scam I might have a go myself. Brun pay me £200 and I'll give you an offer on the house!

Seriously though mate, the offer is usually approx 60% of market value (whatever market value is these days)

PaulC72 22 July 2008 03:33 PM

Alot of them offer 80% as an average some will go a little more alot do not charge upfront.

A simple search will find you at least a dozen others that do not charge.

cookstar 22 July 2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NACRO (Post 8021953)

Anyone who watches this sort of advert on TV and thinks 'that's a good idea' needs bolt gunning IMO.

Agreed, not sure why this post was negged though. :wonder:

NACRO 22 July 2008 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8021999)
Agreed, not sure why this post was negged though. :wonder:

It's easy to guess why. Someone here watches those adverts and is often tempted by them

Either they took a loan from 'picture' or one of those other companies- "I think it was 45 grand but I'm not sure 'cos I'm a total gimp"

Borrowed money from squinty vorderman

Went on career retraining with 'skillslame'

Decided to be a driving instructor with 'the instructor connage'

or some such obvious con.

I take their negative reputation as an indicator of their level of intelligence and confirmation of my total superiority.

Thanks whoever did it. :D

Evil Twin of Tarquin 22 July 2008 04:00 PM

:iamwithst

NACRO 22 July 2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Twin of Tarquin (Post 8022058)
:iamwithst

You mean you think national homebuyers and their ilk are a good idea? If so I have a bridge for sale you might be interested in.

Or are you being cryptic?

Evil Twin of Tarquin 22 July 2008 04:04 PM

I was agreeing with you, although I do think that it would be a waste of a perfectly good bolt. Why the stupid? Well, I was basing it on you have been negged for it, meaning that in the eyes of the great unwashed you are stupid.

(plus it was the only I agree smiley I could spot :D )

richardg 22 July 2008 04:08 PM

national homebuyers have been around for quite a while (well, they would be with the money they make!!). as others have said around 80% tends to be the usual benchmark

have you consider a let to buy? as long as the rental value (true rental value - not what a discounted property club would tell you is the rental value!) covers the interest costs on a mortgage, it may be worth considering that route and selling when the housing market improves

NACRO 22 July 2008 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Twin of Tarquin (Post 8022072)
I was agreeing with you, although I do think that it would be a waste of a perfectly good bolt. Why the stupid? Well, I was basing it on you have been negged for it, meaning that in the eyes of the great unwashed you are stupid.

(plus it was the only I agree smiley I could spot :D )

Cryptic then.

Regarding the original posters question, it's possible to sell in today's climate. You just need to lower your asking price enough. Do the same with the one you want to buy and you will be no worse off.
In fact now is probably a great time to make an offer on a property then turn round and gazunder the vendor. Certainly I'd be factoring in a 30% price drop minimum into the purchase price.
I'm more bearish than that and am looking forward to 50% plus in some areas along with widespread repos and job losses. It's going to be a great time for those of us who didn't live beyond our means and have managed to put our money in a currency that isn't on it's way to worthlessness.

Evil Twin of Tarquin 22 July 2008 04:14 PM

How did you know I'd put money in Zimbabwean dollars?:Suspiciou

NACRO 22 July 2008 04:16 PM

Zim dollars, US dollars, sterling all going down the toilet.

The smart money shifted over relatively recently at 1.45 into euros.

Evil Twin of Tarquin 22 July 2008 04:29 PM

My gold's doing well too :D

NACRO 22 July 2008 04:33 PM

Gold was good although I have to say I sold most of mine back in March and have left a token amount in for diversities sake.

The money I made from it allowed me to invest in art which I believe is going to be a better long term bet.

GC8 22 July 2008 06:08 PM

In answer to an earlier post: this post was negged because Alan needs to sugar wrap it, just a little...

The company mentioned will always make an offer, but in many cases it will be farcical.

ChrisB 28 November 2012 12:39 PM

Goodbye spam bot!

speedking 28 November 2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by NACRO (Post 8022098)
Zim dollars, US dollars, sterling all going down the toilet.

The smart money shifted over relatively recently at 1.45 into euros.

That brought a chuckle :)

Wurzel 28 November 2012 01:34 PM

Aren't they part of the "We Buy Any Car" mob?

Oldun 28 November 2012 06:16 PM

You should avoid these qiuck buy companies..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20205987

Mouser 28 November 2012 07:00 PM

Did anyone notice the date on the first thread?

speedking 29 November 2012 12:23 AM

Yes, hence post #21.

Mouser 29 November 2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10887306)
Yes, hence post #21.

Missed that! :D

SPEN555 29 November 2012 01:54 PM

Don't even have to look at it as I know it will be just like We Buy Any Car dot com only with Houses :D