ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why do House Ins companies play this game? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/701132-why-do-house-ins-companies-play-this-game.html)

P1Fanatic 19 July 2008 09:40 AM

Why do House Ins companies play this game?

Currently pay £27pm building & contents with Egg (AXA). Just got this years renewal quote - £55pm an increase of 104%. They having a larf. This happened last time and I just moved elsewhere but why do they bother sending such ridiculous quotes?

Simon

richs2891 19 July 2008 09:50 AM

Some people are lazy and just assume that the quote they have got is the best / assume that the insurance compnay has their best interest at heart.

I was suprised this month when renewing my car & home insurance, Both up for no reason, car insurance did everything to get price down and match prices. House insurance did nothing so moved and its £80 cheaper than the renewal cost and £30 less than last year.

Richard

boxst 19 July 2008 09:52 AM

Because of the number of people that can't be bothered to shop around. There are a surprising number of them, although I would of thought that the internet made it very easy to even do a cursory comparision to see if you are being conned.

I got my renewal for buildings and contents insurance, and got it 50% of the price with Sainsbury's.

mad555 19 July 2008 10:11 AM

Tell me about it,took out a renewal with tesco for the wifes car now have found out admiral are £160 cheaper!!.

GaryCat 19 July 2008 11:42 AM

I used the Tesco Comparator and got a saving of £162 - was £403 now £241 Home Insurance - compare cheap home Insurance quotes | TESCO Compare

J4CKO 19 July 2008 12:02 PM

I pay about 90 quid, due to my missus noticing a small crack in the bricks in the bay, I asked the builder over the road and he said it was due to the dry summer and 400 quid to sort it, missus went to the insurance and its classed as subsidence now so the house insurance doubled, they measured it, did a long winded report that said it was due to the dry summer and it would cost about 400 to fix, execss is £800.

So now we are marked as having subsidence, and can do nothing about it, cant shop around as most companies just say no chance even though it was a small crack in a bay which doesnt have proper footing like the rest of the house so I reckon her panicing has cost me three grand so far.

Edit, thats per month by the way !

Lee247 19 July 2008 12:25 PM

Chancers, the lot of them

I just renewed my Motor Insurance with the same company as last year. Got the quote, which was £180 dearer than last year, for no reason :eek:
I went online, to the same Insurer and it was offered at virtually the same price as last year. WTF

Straight on the phone and they matched the internet price :thumb:

PaulC72 19 July 2008 01:54 PM

just done our B&C for the house and split the policies:

Contents £96 with HSBC used Quidco to book it and got £50 off so thats £46
Buildings Coop £115 used Quidco to book it and got £70 off so thats £45

Halifax wanted nearly £400 for the combined!!

Shop around and go through someone like Quidco and its amazing how much you can save, just make sure your policies are as near to like for like as you currently have and have the same values.

ScoTTyB 19 July 2008 07:30 PM

second quidco, the savings at times are unbeatable.

Clarebabes 19 July 2008 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 84of300 (Post 8015704)

I just renewed my Motor Insurance with the same company as last year. Got the quote, which was £180 dearer than last year, for no reason :eek:
I went online, to the same Insurer and it was offered at virtually the same price as last year. WTF

I did the same thing. £326 they wanted, got it down to £218. :wonder: The bloke on the phone really chatted me up too, so I quite enjoyed the phone call :D

fast bloke 20 July 2008 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 8016567)
I did the same thing. £326 they wanted, got it down to £218. :wonder: The bloke on the phone really chatted me up too, so I quite enjoyed the phone call :D

Do you need some life insurance? I'll chat you up no end :D

p.s. - just checked your postcode - we could have done it for £186.00 but the chatting up is usully an extra tenner

Diesel 20 July 2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 84of300 (Post 8015704)

So true - called LV and got them down from a whopping £760 to £530 on renewal (bit more excess though) as they ALL just try it on at 'do nothing to renew' time. D