ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Not a lot of people know this......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/701017-not-a-lot-of-people-know-this.html)

alcazar 18 July 2008 04:42 PM

Not a lot of people know this.........

I've just discovered that the space saver wheel off a classic WILL NOT clear Brembo brakes:(

Anyone else who has done the conversion, either Godspeed or from an STi, be careful.

I'm just sourcing another 17" wheel and tyre to replace my space saver.

Alcazar

sti-chris 18 July 2008 04:52 PM

I guess you would need a space saver from an STi newage ?

another 17 alloy will only be added weight ;)

andy-ukturbo 18 July 2008 06:11 PM

newage sti's are a different stud pattern though aint they?

SC008Y_MAD 18 July 2008 06:22 PM

I know this is slightly off topic or rather marque, but I know a guy who has a Seat Leon Cupra (new ones) and the space saver won't fit over the front calipers, but will the rear.

So I guess in this case, you would have to jack the front of the car up and remove the front wheel, then jack the rear of the car up and take off the rear wheel and place that on the front then place the space saver on the rear...this will only work if you carry two scissor jacks with you.

joey_turbo 18 July 2008 06:34 PM

On other cars I have had with space savers, they always say only to use them on the rear of the car anyway.

JK99 18 July 2008 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 8014276)
I know this is slightly off topic or rather marque, but I know a guy who has a Seat Leon Cupra (new ones) and the space saver won't fit over the front calipers, but will the rear.

So I guess in this case, you would have to jack the front of the car up and remove the front wheel, then jack the rear of the car up and take off the rear wheel and place that on the front then place the space saver on the rear...this will only work if you carry two scissor jacks with you.

I've found this to be the case for any car with a Space-Saver.

Why would you need 2 jacks? Just swap the rear with the Space-Saver first if the front tyre has gone then put the rear wheel on the front once you're finished that.
Simple really.

JK

172sport 19 July 2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by JK99 (Post 8015121)

Why would you need 2 jacks? Just swap the rear with the Space-Saver first if the front tyre has gone then put the rear wheel on the front once you're finished that.
Simple really.

JK

Its rocket science to some.............:idea:

StickyMicky 19 July 2008 08:49 AM

get a space saver off a vw golf? it should have a different offset and push the wheel away outwards ??

andy-ukturbo 19 July 2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 172sport (Post 8015369)
Its rocket science to some.............:idea:

i woz thinking the same:cuckoo:

RA Dunk 19 July 2008 10:15 AM

is it actually a legal requirement to carry a spare? i know some cars come from the factory without one and just a tin of tire weld or some sealant of some sorts

andy-ukturbo 19 July 2008 10:43 AM

mate of mine has just bought an m3 and all hes got is sealant and a small compressor, mate new civic is the same, for an mot you dont need a spare on the car however if there is one fitted it has to be legal, think thats the only legal part to carrying a spare??

RA Dunk 19 July 2008 11:03 AM

cheers for the info, space saver soon to be replaced with some sealant :)

DCR59 19 July 2008 12:36 PM

Or just get a space saver wheel from a new age STi 2001-2004.

I have a classic WRX ra with a space saver, but it won't fit over the 6 pot AP's that's fitted.
However, my new age JDM STi also has a space saver (totally different size and shape - for clearing the standard Brembo's) and that does clear the AP's on the classic.

I also have a few spare sets of new age STi's that I use on both cars, and I could carry one of those as a spare, but sometimes if you need the boot space it just takes up too much space and isn't convenient.

Dave

SC008Y_MAD 25 July 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JK99 (Post 8015121)

Simple really.

JK

Or you could jack the car up really high so that both front and rear wheels are in the air...I saw this being done on a hawkeye Sti at a SIDC show.

dunx 25 July 2008 01:52 PM

Mine collapsed doing that !

DunxC