ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Special cars for special journeys (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/700384-special-cars-for-special-journeys.html)

Dave Thornton 15 July 2008 01:16 PM

Special cars for special journeys

I'm in the fortunate position that I will qualify for a 6 month paid sabbatical late next year, which I will take at some point over the next few years when finances allow.

I plan to use the 6 months by joining a supercar hire club etc and complete a series of memorable journeys in a variety of different cars, with a different member of the family or a friend on each trip.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best journeys/destinations and the most iconic/appropriate car to go in e.g. Bentley Continental (or Audi R8) to Le Mans or even to non-motoring events e.g. a Gallardo to watch AC Milan v Inter Milan. Any suggestions welcome, Europe or UK. Start point doesn't have to be UK.

Tidgy 15 July 2008 04:06 PM

stelvio pass is a must if your driving, also nurburg ring aka nordschleif

Tidgy 15 July 2008 04:07 PM

possibly route 66 ( i know its not uk, but they do speak near english ;) )

GazTheHat 15 July 2008 04:18 PM

What a nice position to be in.

Some great roads up here north of the border.

wrx287 15 July 2008 04:56 PM

Anywhere in Wales. Some of the best driving roads in the world:norty: :norty: And some great views to admire:thumb:

Coffin Dodger 15 July 2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wrx287 (Post 8007523)
Anywhere in Wales. Some of the best driving roads in the world:norty: :norty: And some great views to admire:thumb:

Some great sheep too :norty:

Coffin Dodger 15 July 2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton (Post 8007064)
I'm in the fortunate position that I will qualify for a 6 month paid sabbatical late next year, which I will take at some point over the next few years when finances allow.

I plan to use the 6 months by joining a supercar hire club etc and complete a series of memorable journeys in a variety of different cars, with a different member of the family or a friend on each trip.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best journeys/destinations and the most iconic/appropriate car to go in e.g. Bentley Continental (or Audi R8) to Le Mans or even to non-motoring events e.g. a Gallardo to watch AC Milan v Inter Milan. Any suggestions welcome, Europe or UK. Start point doesn't have to be UK.

Lucky git, six months off paid :eek:

Where do you work and what do you have to do to qualify? I'm nearly up for 15 years service at my place and all I'll get is some crappy gift and a plaque :cry:

tompka 15 July 2008 06:34 PM

Lucky sod lol...

AutoBahn - Thats got to be one of the best driving roads ever.

F1 CJE UK 15 July 2008 06:38 PM

do you work for John lewis ??? only 22 years 2 go. great idea tho

Dave Thornton 15 July 2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK (Post 8007746)
do you work for John lewis ??? only 22 years 2 go. great idea tho

Spot on. Top employer - top benefit, but fully deserved to anybody prepared to commit 25 years to the same company.

So far, I've made a list of:
1. Nurburgring and autobahns in a 911
2. Stelvio pass then on to San Marino GP in a Gallardo
3. Le Mans in an Audi R8 or Bentley
4. Wales/Scotland - to be honest a Subaru/Evo would be most appropriate given the rally connection
5. Monza GP in a Ferrari
6. Cheltenham Gold Cup etc - Rolls Royce
7. Recreate the Italian Job route - Maserati or Aston ?
8. Route 66 - Corvette or Mustang?
9. Somewhere in Japan - Subaru/Evo/GT-R?
10. Mercedes SLR to Norway like Clarkson
11. Monaco GP - ???

Looking for many more ideas. Maybe I should auction off the co-pilot's role!

dhforever 15 July 2008 09:04 PM

Orkney isles with scoob/evo amazing roads/scenery. No speed cameras and no traffic cops. 1 of the greatest secrets in driving in the uk!

Aaron1978 15 July 2008 09:18 PM

aston- italian job route for me,:thumb: