ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   3WD impreza!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/700340-3wd-impreza.html)

lee1184 15 July 2008 08:29 AM

3WD impreza!!

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anyone has had this problem.. im sure someone must have..

I have got a loud whining noise which sounded like a rear wheel bearing.. so put it up on the ramp to find that when you start it put it in gear only 3 wheels turn the front nearside doesnt.. when you turn it by hand there is resistance there.. it is a 1998 UK Turbo..

any suggestions please reply asap.

Regards,
Lee

jonny_693 15 July 2008 08:45 AM

Don't know about the noise mate but it sounds like your brakes are binding on that wheel. Maybe the two aren't related.

Scooby Luke 15 July 2008 09:34 AM

or the bearing is so knackered its seized locking up that wheel?

lee1184 15 July 2008 10:16 AM

Thats what i was hoping.. i have got a mechanic now removing the brake caliper on the wheel thats suspect and then he is going to try it..

I have sorted a wheel bearing just incase it is that though.. would just ahve to fit it.

Scooby_J 15 July 2008 09:38 PM

did you find out what it was because i have the same. please let me know asap. thank you jason.

lee1184 16 July 2008 12:05 AM

what it was is the front brake pads were not sitting correctly in the caliper.. where there is a small piece of metal to guide the pads it had rusted up a little and was fouling the pads so they were going in at an angle and as a result were not returning properly so it was a serious clean out of all brake dust and rub all the rust off and then re-assemble..

Whilst all of this was being done i had both rear wheel bearings done and an oil and filter change.. didnt get the plugs done the mechanic that i use didnt have time so i will do them myself when i get home from work tomorrow..

has anyone got any suggestions on the easiest way of changing the plugs on a '98 UK Turbo?? from the looks of it, it is not a simple job like a normal everyday car..

172sport 16 July 2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by lee1184 (Post 8008831)
what it was is the front brake pads were not sitting correctly in the caliper.. where there is a small piece of metal to guide the pads it had rusted up a little and was fouling the pads so they were going in at an angle and as a result were not returning properly so it was a serious clean out of all brake dust and rub all the rust off and then re-assemble..

Whilst all of this was being done i had both rear wheel bearings done and an oil and filter change.. didnt get the plugs done the mechanic that i use didnt have time so i will do them myself when i get home from work tomorrow..

has anyone got any suggestions on the easiest way of changing the plugs on a '98 UK Turbo?? from the looks of it, it is not a simple job like a normal everyday car..

Air box lid off and washer bottle out is the quickest for me.

lee1184 17 July 2008 11:58 AM

I ended up taking the whole airbox out and the washer bottle.. got the plugs done now and it runs alot better..