ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   PIAA spots knackered (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/699016-piaa-spots-knackered.html)

bob r 08 July 2008 05:28 PM

PIAA spots knackered

My RB5 spot/fog lamps are well past their best and need replacing.
I want a cheap alternative as I don't use them.

Any ideas on what will fit and where to buy.

Thanks

alcazar 08 July 2008 05:44 PM

What's on it now? Cibie, or PIAA?

And when you say "knackered", I assume you mean the reflectors/lenses?

They CAN be replaced, and don't cost the earth, certainly not much more than a whole new kit;)

Alcazar

RB5 Boyo 08 July 2008 06:16 PM

I got new ones from Scoobyworld for £250 but i didnt mind paying that coz i wanted them for the good light they produce. If u dont use them why not put the covers on and just leave them?:wonder:

Like Alcazar says, u can get replacement lenses and all the bits in fact, try here for more info:

PIAA 80XT LAMPS

Kevin:thumb:

bob r 08 July 2008 10:02 PM

Sounds daft I know.......just put the covers back on.

First off I noticed that the o/s lamp wasn't working so I began to investigate :nono:
Looking through the glass I could see lots of corrosion on the reflective material inside. Also the brackets that hold the lamp on were just a pile of rust :eek: and looked awful, so i just had to take the things off.

When I eventually got them off (snapped bolts etc) the lense came away from the body and wasn't sealed properly(which explains the corrosion)

So, I have 2x buggered lamps and very very rusty brackets.(makes me think I shouild have just left them alone now:Whatever_ )

I could do with some cheap alternatives to just sit in their place.

alcazar 09 July 2008 12:14 PM

AFAIK, there aren't ANY that are easy replacements, and that will allow you to use the RB5 covers.

It's a nice car.........bite the bullet and get a new set, Hammerite the brackets before fitting, check seals etc and stand back and admire;)

Alcazar

harvey 09 July 2008 12:26 PM

Collecting condensation and moisture in the lamps has always been a problem for me on two cars I have that run these. I had the backplates powder coated and regularly apply a squirt of WD40 type material. New lenses are not a lot of money and I got replacements from DR Motorsport but I guess any dealer like RCMS could supply these.
remenber to state driving lamp lensess or spot lenses.

RB5 Boyo 09 July 2008 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bob r (Post 7992808)
Sounds daft I know.......just put the covers back on.

....the brackets that hold the lamp on were just a pile of rust :eek: and looked awful, so i just had to take the things off.

When I eventually got them off (snapped bolts etc) the lense came away from the body and wasn't sealed properly(which explains the corrosion)

I had exactly the same problem but i knew the lights were real good when working so i wanted to replace them, although £250 is a fair wad of cash for two spotlights:Suspiciou ....but now they are working and looking good again i have no regrets about spending the money, and the new brackets are stainless steel so no rusting in that department!!

I would say they all go the same though coz two months later and i notice the new ones are steaming up already which means water is getting in:Suspiciou ....i may investigate!!

Kevin

dunx 11 July 2008 07:17 PM

Demon Tweeks About £44 each + VAT & delivery .... 83 series lens unit search under PIAA

HTH

DunxC

P.S. just check overall diameter before ordering...