ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   buying car with dodgy log book (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/698665-buying-car-with-dodgy-log-book.html)

Henrik 06 July 2008 11:54 PM

buying car with dodgy log book

I've viewed a used car that I want to buy, but the log book is slightly iffy.

The log book is in the owners name, but he's already filled the "transfer of ownership" slip over to his ex cousin in law, but never sent it off.

He's in a bit of a pickle money wise at the moment, so he wants a really quick sale. According to him, I could just tip-ex the details out and send the slip in, but this seems a bit dodgy (is it?)

What's the score with buying a car with a log book like this?

I don't think it's likely to be stolen, he's had it since 2005 and he bought it as a project but now he's sick and tired of it and needs the money to finish off his custom motor bike. I'll do a HPI check on it anyway, if I buy it (where's a cheap place to do a HPI check?). I don't think it's stolen, I know where his workshop is and he seems quite genuine.

Can I just get him to sign a receipt saying that it's sold to me?

It's got no tax or mot at the moment, so I need a log book at some stage to tax it.

Edit: The car is going for less than 500 quid.

Eddie1980 07 July 2008 12:24 AM

He could always get the DVLA to send him a duplicate...

If you unsure ring the DVLA and ask... I have always found them surprisingly helpful in the past.

Dracoro 07 July 2008 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 7988340)
....is and he seems quite genuine.

con artists don't get very far if they don't!!!!!

Let him sort it out (i.e. get a replacement log book from dvla).

It may work out ok, but why give yourself the bother and risk. If nothing else, phone the dvla and ask them the state of play.

Has the green slip been filled in or is it missing? He could be selling the car "twice"....

paulwrxboro 07 July 2008 12:33 AM

no risk at all i do this all the time if someone wants there car taxing to pick up

Dracoro 07 July 2008 12:34 AM

with someone ELSE's name on it??

paulwrxboro 07 July 2008 12:36 AM

yep not a problem

Henrik 07 July 2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 7988378)
con artists don't get very far if they don't!!!!!

Let him sort it out (i.e. get a replacement log book from dvla).

It may work out ok, but why give yourself the bother and risk. If nothing else, phone the dvla and ask them the state of play.

Has the green slip been filled in or is it missing? He could be selling the car "twice"....

The green slip has been filled in, he's got the whole v5 document

Henrik 07 July 2008 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 7988387)
no risk at all i do this all the time if someone wants there car taxing to pick up

but doesn't the slip need to have the same name as the insurance certificate?

500 07 July 2008 09:07 AM

Should be ok, I've bought /sold with v5's like that before no problems, if in doubt, phone dvla, if there are no problems, he won't mind

KLR16V 07 July 2008 11:10 AM

You can get a new v5 form posted out next day delivery from the dvla for about £20 did it the other month to tax the car as i had lost it . This will clear up any issues .

Mark Smith

Avi 07 July 2008 05:14 PM

I've tippexed out the green slip and changed them before. Guy had an agreed sale thast fell through, but had allready filled in the V5, Just tippexed it out and put my details in.

RJM25R 07 July 2008 05:52 PM

Richiehash 07 July 2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 7988596)
but doesn't the slip need to have the same name as the insurance certificate?

chances are the mate will have trade insurance which has been used with the v5/c(green slip) to tax the car at some point in the past.
Richie

Henrik 08 July 2008 11:54 AM

Cool, thanks for the info guys :)

GC8 10 July 2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 7988340)
I've viewed a used car that I want to buy, but the log book is slightly iffy.

The log book is in the owners name, but he's already filled the "transfer of ownership" slip over to his ex cousin in law, but never sent it off.

He's in a bit of a pickle money wise at the moment, so he wants a really quick sale. According to him, I could just tip-ex the details out and send the slip in, but this seems a bit dodgy (is it?)

What's the score with buying a car with a log book like this?

I don't think it's likely to be stolen, he's had it since 2005 and he bought it as a project but now he's sick and tired of it and needs the money to finish off his custom motor bike. I'll do a HPI check on it anyway, if I buy it (where's a cheap place to do a HPI check?). I don't think it's stolen, I know where his workshop is and he seems quite genuine.

Can I just get him to sign a receipt saying that it's sold to me?

It's got no tax or mot at the moment, so I need a log book at some stage to tax it.

Edit: The car is going for less than 500 quid.

You should (speaking from experience) cross it out and write your own name in, they wont care.

TomCat 11 July 2008 06:33 PM

RAC website does the HPI check for £5:

Car history report and vehicle data check available from RAC

RAC own HPI (or is it the other way round?) so this is the identical check that HPI charge £20 for!