ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Thefts from patients in hospitals?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/697878-thefts-from-patients-in-hospitals.html)

Dave Thornton 03 July 2008 12:12 AM

Thefts from patients in hospitals??

I've been fortunate and haven't seen much of the inside of any hospitals in my time, however, my Dad is in hospital at the moment. He changed wards last week and within 24 hours his pair of expensive glasses had disappeared. There are two nurses there who have been very defensive when asking about 'missing glasses'.

I'm not one to point the finger without the facts, but is there a possibility or culture of hospital staff nicking patients' possessions?

Klaatu 03 July 2008 01:21 AM

Yes indeed there is. Your father would have signed a waiver I'd imagine.

oli1983uk 03 July 2008 02:04 AM

it happend to my nan in St thomas's hospital in london they nicked her gold teeth and also when my mate died last year someone in the hospital nicked his wallet and rings but the family was able to get his rings back but never got the wallet. It happens a lot and when I have to take my girlfriend to the hospital i hang onto all of her things.

badgerface123 03 July 2008 05:14 AM

i had a visit to a&e earlier in the year and the nurse warned me to keep an eye on my stuff as it does go walkies :freak3: but not sure if she meant staff or other patents or visitors :wonder:

Devils.Advocate 03 July 2008 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton (Post 7980110)
I'm not one to point the finger without the facts, but is there a possibility or culture of hospital staff nicking patients' possessions?

WTF!!!

Of course there isn't most of the "Staff" are proffesional people

A hospital is an open building and these things can happen but to accuse the staff is offensive IMHO

cster 03 July 2008 08:00 AM

Yeah - It is more likely to be visitors/junkies I would imagine.

David Lock 03 July 2008 08:14 AM

It's when one of your kidneys goes walkies that you need to worry........ :)

Stephb1986 03 July 2008 08:43 AM

before my nan died she spent quite a bit of time in hospital she had private digital hearing aids they went walkies, rings and necklaces that my late grandad had bought her went missing.

The only thing we should really take into hospital is clothes when you look at it everything else goes missing!

Steph xx

CrisPDuk 03 July 2008 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Devils.Advocate (Post 7980260)
WTF!!!

A hospital is an open building and these things can happen but to accuse the staff is offensive IMHO

:rolleyes:

I would say that when it's happening in one particular area over a long period, that kind of reduces the possibility of it not being one of the staff IMO

Dave Thornton 03 July 2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Devils.Advocate (Post 7980260)
WTF!!!

Thanks for your opinion - however in my observations, for every doctor, nurse or other professional person there's somebody else e.g. cleaner, drinks trolley (and clear away), hospital radio, catering etc. And the wards in question are controlled by locked door with entry phone. Restricted visiting hours too.

Phil 03 July 2008 10:14 AM

Won't tell you what my wife just said [Senior Staff Nurse of more than 20 years] but its not typeable and questions your parentage ...LOL

Its an open public environment I am sure similar thefts take place in other public areas

Devils.Advocate 03 July 2008 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton (Post 7980472)
Thanks for your opinion - however in my observations, for every doctor, nurse or other professional person there's somebody else e.g. cleaner, drinks trolley (and clear away), hospital radio, catering etc. And the wards in question are controlled by locked door with entry phone. Restricted visiting hours too.

you said the Nurse's looked sheepish!!

Nice to be accused !!

Oldfella 03 July 2008 10:28 AM

I think we need to be careful, when dividing the workforce in this way, it suggests that professionals are above this sort of behaviour and non professionals are not.
Be mindful that there have been multiple murderers from both the medical and nursing professions, I am not aware of any drinks trolley or hospital radio people doing the same.

Devils.Advocate 03 July 2008 10:42 AM

Exactly How many multiple murderers are we talking about???

Leslie 03 July 2008 11:31 AM

It makes me despair these days when I see how some people are prepared to take advantage of others who are not in a position to protect themselves or their possessions.

I can still remember those times when even dyed in the wool thieves could not have brought themselves to do something like that!

Les :(

richiewong 03 July 2008 04:06 PM

I'm a nurse and have never been tempted to take anything from a patient ever.
Don't even like to take thank you gifts such a chocolates or biscuits without sharing them with the team.

This does not mean that all nurses are honest though, I've worked in areas where items have gone missing and the blame could only be laid on staff:Suspiciou

abbott 03 July 2008 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by oli1983uk (Post 7980210)
it happend to my nan in St thomas's hospital in london they nicked her gold teeth .

http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/...400a071807.jpg

CharlesW 04 July 2008 12:02 AM

My wife has just been in ARI(Aberdeen Royal Infirmary) for 5 days. While walking round the floor where her ward was, I noticed several signs posted by the staff to "watch out there's a thief about". So presumably one of the nurses or cleaners is nicking stuff.

So yes it is entirely possible that staff are nicking things.

davegtt 04 July 2008 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Devils.Advocate (Post 7980528)

Exactly How many multiple murderers are we talking about???

Beverly Allit for one.

scoob_babe 04 July 2008 07:38 AM

Grandfather's watch was stolen from his bedside table whilst he was taken to the bathroom. There were 3 other people in the ward bay plus visitors and I have to say, it takes a very low life scum bag to steal a watch from an 93 year old man (who died 3 days later). We do not believe it was staff at all, there were a large number of other people in that area at the time.

David Lock 04 July 2008 08:14 AM

I have often felt that contract cleaners are not renowned for employing folk who live their lives to the highest moral standards.......

Gone are the days when the in-house cleaning team led by Ethel and her mop could be trusted. dl