ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   25 foot fall & 28 stiches later the old man is finally home *DONT LOOK IF SQUEAMISH* (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/696472-25-foot-fall-and-28-stiches-later-the-old-man-is-finally-home-dont-look-if-squeamish.html)

speedymonkey 26 June 2008 12:47 PM

25 foot fall & 28 stiches later the old man is finally home *DONT LOOK IF SQUEAMISH*

Well, what a weekend we've just had!

Was working for my Dad, painting a vast ceiling in some rather large offices in Manchester town center.
He was up some ladders painting the top of a pillar, and i was up scaffolding on the other side of the office.
I head him shout my name and swear and as i turned round, saw his ladders go one way, him the other of the pillar.
He dropped 25 feet kinda sideways, and as he neared the bottom, his feet hit a banister of the stairs going down into the basement,
spinning him 90 degrees mid air :eek: :cuckoo:
This resulted in him landing pretty much head first, altho his left shoulder also took some of the impact :(
I called out his name several times and there was just silence :eek: Horrible feeling i can tell you, so i climbed down the scaffolding as quick as i could, only to find him lying face first on the stairs, legs+arms in funny positions, but most worring was his head, it had cracked right open, and blood was pooling and dripping down the steps :cry:

He was totally spark out, and it was about a minute or so till he came round, i honestly thought he was dead! I took of my tshirt, rolled it up, and tried to control the bleeding, and got him as comfortable as i could, before legging it to reception to get an ambulance.
20 minutes later :rolleyes: the ambulance arrived, and he was placed on a spinal board(not an easy task in a confined stair well), and at full speed lightys flashing was rushed to hospital.
Never been so scared in my life, and am only just starting to sleep properly now :o

Anyway,he's now home, but need an operation on his head to get it back together, 28 stiches and a few in his left elbow did the trick :eek:

So whilst the nurse was round changing the dressings, i took a closeup picture for him as he still hadn't seen the damage he'd done, so without further a do, i thought id share it with you lot too :D :thumb:

Its not very nice so please dont look if your squemish :nono:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8...img2096kn5.png

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4...095jpegml3.png

:cuckoo: :eek:

SiPie 26 June 2008 12:50 PM

He'll not be wearing a hat for a while :eek:

Hope he mends quick :thumb:

hectic 26 June 2008 12:50 PM

'Kinell!!

dpb 26 June 2008 12:52 PM

Who was on the bottom of the ladders ...?

Spoon 26 June 2008 12:52 PM

Ouch you bugger, did he spill the paint?

stilover 26 June 2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by speedymonkey (Post 7965826)
I head him shout my name and swear and as i turned round, saw his ladders go one way, him the other of the pillar.

Serves him right for shouting swear words at you instead of working. Not a good example to be setting your son. :D

Seriously though. Looks nasty, hope he's OK. :thumb:

ScoobyWon't 26 June 2008 12:55 PM

Fur...

Originally Posted by hectic (Post 7965833)
'Kinell!!

:eek: Bet he doesn't do that again for a while. :eek:

SwissTony 26 June 2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by speedymonkey (Post 7965826)

He was probably shouting " oi,son stop rocking my ladders you ******* !! "

Just in case it helped his Claims Direct Case :D

Seriously though, touch and go there mate.
Hope he makes a full recovery, though watch out for temporary memory loss.
Small signs will be things like
" what do you mean, I never owed you £50 " etc

:D

David Lock 26 June 2008 01:08 PM

Lucky to come out of that one and hope he makes a full recovery.

Why didn't he use a longer brush? :Whatever_ dl

speedymonkey 26 June 2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 7965848)
Fur...

:eek: Bet he doesn't do that again for a while. :eek:

Your joking, he was moaning cos we wouldnt let him go to work today :rolleyes:
We will be back on the job this weekend, altho im doing all the high stuff this time:thumb:
He proper old school, and with him being self employed NEVER has days off :freak3:
Stupid i know, but he set in his ways and at 63 theres no changing him :brickwall

speedymonkey 26 June 2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 7965838)
Who was on the bottom of the ladders ...?

I know i know, it was a case of him just looking up and thinking 'ohhh ill just whipp in that corner' :Whatever_
After best part of 50 years working on his own, he's always done things like this, only this time he leaned just a bit to far :o

j4ckos mate 26 June 2008 01:21 PM

nasty that a fella i work with had part of his head scooped out and his scar go;s from ear to ear, little one down the side of his nose and a cut under his chin, or and one on his thigh for the bone graft as well.

Scoob99 26 June 2008 01:25 PM

Kin Ell:eek: glad the old fella is OK and on the mend, ask him the last time a beer gave him a headache like that:D Seriously I'm glad he is OK:thumb:
Cheers
Colin

PaulC72 26 June 2008 02:02 PM

Glad he is ok but why was he on ladders and you were on a scaffold?

I thought anything over 5ft these day had to be done H&S wise on scaffold to avoid such incidents?

Kieran_Burns 26 June 2008 02:44 PM

Bugger - if he'd tipped his head back a LITTLE more, he'd have a scar on the hair line and he'd spend for ever convincing people it's not fake hair :D

"but I can see the stitches...!" ;)

Glad he'd okay mate - that is a nasty, nasty looking injury.

Head wounds bleed like you wouldn't believe if you've never seen one before and they're always scary as hell when you do.

If you want a laugh, next times he's alseep paint a little smiley face up there ;)

brihoppy 26 June 2008 03:21 PM

yummy...!!!

bones heal and chicks dig scars...apparently...!!!

dpb 26 June 2008 05:09 PM

My step pa had a golfball sized tumor removed at xmas ,v similar frankinstein type scar only on the side of the bonce and held together with staples

- 6 months on,you would hardly know anything untoward ( and wouldnt at all but for the hair-loss from the chemo pills) :thumb:

The Dogs B******s 26 June 2008 07:36 PM

Ouch

Nate 26 June 2008 07:42 PM

:eek:

Hope he mends quick :thumb:

J4CKO 26 June 2008 09:25 PM

Tonight Matthew, I am going to be a Tennis Ball....

Fookin Ell, thats horrific but he now has one really cool scar, glad he is basically alright and I can really sympathise with you for having witnessed that, must have been terrifying.

Maybe a film of the incident should be made, "28 Stitches Later", sounds a good title to me.

daddyscoob 26 June 2008 09:30 PM

Hopefully no damage to the staircase or the floor ??????????

joking

one lucky escape !!!!!