ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   First European Trip - Help Needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/696151-first-european-trip-help-needed.html)

Bladeboy 24 June 2008 07:56 PM

First European Trip - Help Needed

All,

I'm planning my first trip into Europe this September, Germany, Austria, Italy & Switzerland and was wondering if this very rough route sounded at all plausible in 10 days.

Ideally would like enough time for plenty of sight seeing, couple of theme parks, BMW museum, salt mines etc on the way, and plan on camping were possible (another first) apart from in Munich were we'll possibly stay in a city centre hotel for a couple of nights.

Hull - Zeebrugge
Zeebrugge - Nurburgring :norty:
Nurburgring - Munich
Munich - Salzburg Saltzburg - Garmich Partenkirchen
Garmin Partenkirchen - Lake Garda - via Stelvio Pass
Lake Garda - this is were I'm really undecided maybe Zurich or Geneva
Zurich or Geneva - thought of trying Cologne next
Cologne - Zeebrugge

It's the end of the trip from Lake Garda I'm really struggling with, any ideas on possible routes or general help would be most appreciated.:wonder:

Many Thanks

Janspeed 24 June 2008 11:32 PM

FYI people drive on the "wrong" side of the road! ;)

GC8 25 June 2008 02:14 AM

The campiste at the Nurburgring is good: along side the old Southern loop and the new GP circuit. Theyre reasonably priced with good showers, electricity and a decent on site bar.

Remember to take:

first aid kit
warning triangle
high visibility vest
fire extinguisher
full bulb kit
MOT/V5/insurance certificate/driving licence

The Trooper 1815 25 June 2008 08:37 AM

Have stayed in Garmisch Partenkirchen, very good indeed. Stayed in a Camp site just below the Zugspitze.

Campingplatz Zugspitze (babelfish it).

Spent many years living "Auf Deutsch" and the recommendation on the kit for the boot is a good one. Don't forget your fuel can too.

alcazar 25 June 2008 09:13 AM

DO remember to check your policy, and/or contact your insurer to check that you have fully comp cover abroad.

TRY to avoid speeding where there is a limit, fines are enough to make you wince, and if you can't pay on the spot, you risk being arrested for vagrancy too:rolleyes:

If you're near Minich, then try and see Nuremburg, the stadium where Hitkler held rallys is still there. VERY spooky, since it's disused.

Also in that area, there is a tiny place called Rothenburg ob der Taube. Well worth a visit, it's a completely walled medieval village, and I believe, was featured in the final shots of the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as the lift flies up into the air.;).

If you want an awe inspiring pass, try the Grossglockner, one of the highest in Europe.

You could return via the western parts of Germany, parallel the Alps and turn up through the Black Forest, then across Belgium and the Ardennes to Zeebrugge.

The Black Forest is well worth a detour;) Buy a good map before going, or locally.

Or continue in Northern Italy, and cross via the Grd St Bernard pass into France, then across into the Black Forest.

Alcazar

GeeDee 02 July 2008 06:57 PM

Alsace is where we normally stop on the way back from Italy, Switzerland, etc.

Not too far from the large theme park (Europa Park) at Rust near Freiburg in Germany - I think it's the largest in Europe but I found it a bit mind blowing when we went there last year. Too big a for a single day and we didn't have to queue for rides!

It would probably be better on a second visit but wasn't that impressed overall, to be honest although there were some relatively extreme rides.