ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Up pipe fitting advice - much of a job? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/694472-up-pipe-fitting-advice-much-of-a-job.html)

bigvern 16 June 2008 11:41 PM

Up pipe fitting advice - much of a job?

I'm looking to fit a decat up pipe, now having done the searches to find out about the EGT problems - i/e with a decat it will run too hot for the OEM sensor (which is a little suprising but hey ho) so you put a resistor in place to stop the CEL light coming on.

SO thats the electronics bit.

What about the practical side - is it a nightmare fitting the thing?

I'm not bad with the ole spanners but any advice would be appreciated.

Its an 02 WRX BTW.

hamyam 16 June 2008 11:42 PM

Depends if the bolts undo

ash002004 16 June 2008 11:48 PM

leave it on the driveway in the afternoon, to let it cool then attempt the next day, ive bin told, as the heat is a nightmare or something

bigvern 17 June 2008 12:01 AM

hum, looks like its lashings of plusgas all 'round

maydew 17 June 2008 12:08 AM

, remove the ic
spray the five nuts on the turbo with wd-40
jack the car up
spray the heat shield bolts with wd-40
remove the heat shield to expose the 3 nuts on the heads(spray these nuts)
from the top if u look at the rocker cover(turbo side) there is a bracket on the one coil pack with a wire on it going to the egt sensor un plug this wire (by the boost solonoid) and make sure the wire is free .
u have more than likely got a lamba sensor in the uppipe to so this will need unpluging.
undue the nuts on the head 3 each side
make sure you use a good 6 sided socket
from the top undue the 5 nuts on the turbo
please note u may need to support the turbo up in some way as i have never done it this way but sure it can be done with the turbo in place .)
u should now be able to pull the headers down so far
undue the 2 bolts/nuts holding the uppipe to the headers and hopefully u will be able to get the upipe out now
fit in reverse order hopefully this is correct or atleast help u on your way
fit new gaskets while your there saves doing the job twice

bigvern 17 June 2008 01:02 AM

:notworthy :thumb:

Butty 17 June 2008 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 7944955)
undue the 2 bolts/nuts holding the uppipe to the headers and hopefully u will be able to get the upipe out now

At this stage, the drivers side engine mount needs undoing and the engine jacked up a touch. The cat is too big to just slide out without this being done.

It is a PITA job to be done on its own. I'd combine it with at least a downpipe change/turbo swap. The gains just for the up-pipe will also be dissapointing.

Nick

dunx 17 June 2008 01:39 PM

Try and have replacement nuts and bolts as I cut my old ones off !

DunxC