ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HT leads or Coilpacks for 96 Classic? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/694234-ht-leads-or-coilpacks-for-96-classic.html)

bigdyl69 15 June 2008 10:25 PM

HT leads or Coilpacks for 96 Classic?

Hi guys, I'm slowly getting my new 96 Classic wagon sorted after some idiot I bought it off made a pigs ear of everything. I've replaced the nasty manual boost valve with the normal 3 point solenoid (thanks again Bealescooby), I've done the plugs (but need to remove them to gap them), I've fitted an STI intercooler as the original one looked a right mess and just fitted a Walbro fuel pump to it.

Now, it seems to be boosting happier but still stutters a lot around the 4-5k rpm rev range, then sometimes it'll pull like a freight train, others it wont. I'm starting to run out of options here now, the only things I can think of might be the gapping on the plugs (which wasn't done when they were fitted) or the HT's/Coilpacks might be old and worn as the plugs I removed looked they'd been in there since the dawn of time.

I'm just not sure what I need, I've seen some Magnacor leads for around the 40-50 quid mark which are affordable but original coilpacks are over 200 for all 4. My car is a 96 N Reg Classic Wagon with what I think is the EJ20G engine.

Can anybody help me out with the cheapest option possible as I haven't much money left to spend on this car?

exvaux 15 June 2008 10:28 PM

im sure 96 scoobs had the individual coil packs im afraid.Later models had the single pack on the inlet mani and coil leads like normal cars that are around 50 quid (i paid that for my magnecor's)

172sport 15 June 2008 10:29 PM

Buy standard leads not magnecor, the quality is just not there. Thats assuming you have the single coil BTW as coil on plug doesnt have leads.
You have been warned.

Jolly Green Monster 15 June 2008 11:19 PM

you can convert it to use a 97/98 coilpack and leads as I have done on my car but it is not an easy job unless you are okay with soldering iron etc..

Simon

harvey 16 June 2008 12:46 AM

You do not need plug leads if you have individual coil packs which were standard between M/Y 93 and 96.
If you do not have coil packs but a single coil mounted on the inlet manifold, then you have a phase 3 car, M/Y 97. The O/E plug leads are good quality and going to anything else could be a retrograde step, assuming you actually have plug leads in the first place.
I have for sale a complete set of coil packs that have done, probably, 1500 mls maximum.
They are in the "For Sale" section for £100 delivered inclusive of Paypal.
I also have three plug leads in good working order. :)

bigdyl69 16 June 2008 09:20 PM

Well thansk for the help guys, after inspecting my engine, the HT leads leading from the spark plugs go to some 2 pin electrical connectors which I assume go to a single coil pack but I may be wrong as I cannot actually see it, not that I know what I'm looking for. Does that help at all as to identifying what I need?

Jolly Green Monster 16 June 2008 09:30 PM

they are the coilpack connections, the coilpack is actually on top of the plug

bigdyl69 16 June 2008 09:37 PM

So it's the expensive option for me then?

Jolly Green Monster 16 June 2008 09:55 PM

yes

bigdyl69 16 June 2008 10:02 PM

Bummer, that's what I feared. so what would I need to replace then, is it just the four coilpacks that connect to the spark plugs? Also what plugs would you recommend for my engine? its totally standard all except for an STI intercooler and a walbro fuel pump

Jolly Green Monster 16 June 2008 10:10 PM

just a set of 4 coilpacks

ngk pfr6b

:)

bigdyl69 16 June 2008 10:17 PM

Excellent, thanks for all your help guys

harvey 17 June 2008 12:56 AM

This stutter you refer to may also be weak running for some reason and that could wreck your engine so drive your car in such a manner that this does not happen until you have the fault rectified and if new coil packs are not the answer get someone with a wide band Lambda to check your AFRs.

bigdyl69 17 June 2008 01:30 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think I'd better get my car to subaru for them to run a diagnostic on it, cheers

bigdyl69 17 June 2008 01:59 AM

Any ideas what might be causing it to run lean, if that may be the fault?

Jolly Green Monster 17 June 2008 09:09 AM

fuel pump but 99% of early cars with a stutter on boost is coilpacks.. reducing the plug gap can make it better for a small period of time.

Simon

Shark Man 17 June 2008 09:31 AM

Yup - looking at the picture in "view my scoob" your car has individual coilpacks fitted.

Cars with a single coil pack unit have a box ontop of the inlet manifold with 4 HT leads going to it, you r car clearly doesn't have this.

(compare with my engine pic in view my scoob, if you want).

Also important note with re-gapping plugs. NGK PFR plugs should be correctly pre-gapped. (presuming you bought the right ones). 90% of the times these gaps are correct for a standard car. Re-gapping them can damage or break off the platinum tips on the electrodes, its quite easy to tell if you've lost the platinum by comparing the electrodes to a brand new spark plug. I'm not saying don't do it, just pay atention to what your doing and don't be ham fisted with the feeler gauge.

Also coilpacks can get damaged on removal/insertion: they contain ceramic, so avoid twisting or bending them. If the ceramic breaks internally, they leak spark energy.

scooby Iain 17 June 2008 10:05 AM

just as a quick note, I got four new coil packs from Tyne Tees Tuning for about £140 + £7 next working delivery which was £50 cheaper than anywhere else i could find

bigdyl69 17 June 2008 11:03 AM

Great, thanks for the help again guys. I might look into replacing the fuel pump and getting some more new spark plugs and correctly gapping them before they go in this time. Do you have a phone number or web address for tyne tees at all scooby_iain?

bigdyl69 17 June 2008 11:37 AM

Sorry, what am I on about, I've only just fitted a brand new Walbro 255 fuel pump so that can't be the problem. (sorry, lack of sleep lately makes me even more stupid than normal). So really the only place left to look is the coilpacks then

scooby Iain 17 June 2008 04:31 PM

not sure of the web address for them but just but tyne tees tuning in a search engine and it comes streight up

bigdyl69 17 June 2008 07:59 PM

Found them, thanks again

JamWRX1 17 June 2008 08:40 PM

is it still not running right dill?if the coil packs dont work mate get it on the subaru dino machine just to be safe mate:thumb: .did that fuel pump go in ok any diffrence?

kike_ej20 18 June 2008 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 7942693)
you can convert it to use a 97/98 coilpack and leads as I have done on my car but it is not an easy job unless you are okay with soldering iron etc..

Simon

Where can I find some info on this?

harvey 18 June 2008 08:33 AM

I can send you out today a good set of coil packs that were on my WRX for less than 1500 miles before I converted to the STi 3/4 arrangement.
£100 inclusive of delivery and Paypal.
Where are you located? Other than replacing coil packs because these regularly go it would be better to identify the problem before you start trying other things so if the coil packs don't cure the issue I suggest you seek help from someone you can rely on and that may well not be a dealer who will have your eyes out.

legendofspeed 19 June 2008 07:11 PM

Same issue with my 20G, Now I'm looking for a replacement as well. Has anyone tried Okada Projects Coils for the MY02 WRX, and retro-fitting them to the ej20g? I wonder if that would provide a boost in performance as well..hmm

bigdyl69 20 June 2008 02:34 AM

Thanks for the offer harvey but I think I'm going to have to wait. I bought this car under the illuson that I wasn't going to have to spend a great deal and so far it's done nothing but cost me and I can't really spend much more until I get back into work

morrison20 25 August 2011 09:22 PM

harvey...hia mate...do u still have those..?is it for 96 model???

harvey 27 August 2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 7947502)
I can send you out today a good set of coil packs that were on my WRX for less than 1500 miles before I converted to the STi 3/4 arrangement.
£100 inclusive of delivery and Paypal.
Where are you located? Other than replacing coil packs because these regularly go it would be better to identify the problem before you start trying other things so if the coil packs don't cure the issue I suggest you seek help from someone you can rely on and that may well not be a dealer who will have your eyes out.

Sorry but that was 18 June three years ago. :):lol1:

championcat 15 November 2011 10:50 PM

question: do impreza HT ignition leads have to be installed in a numbered sequence? I dont see any numbers on the ignition cables themselves?