ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   new to the scene! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/692246-new-to-the-scene.html)

benny23 05 June 2008 11:32 PM

new to the scene!

Hello all, after many years of owning fords ive decided on a change and get a scooby as ive always wanted one and always loved the sound of the flat four. I decided on a sti v4 and i got around 6k for a good one. However i wanted some advice on tunning as i would like to break 400bhp. From your experience and knowledge what would i need to do and how much would i need to save and also where would be the best place to go, i live in the wiltshire area though i dont mind a bit of traveling! Anyway thanks for any help guys would be most appritiated.

ben.

benny23 06 June 2008 07:43 PM

Any advice would be spot on. Hope to hear from some one soon

TonyBurns 06 June 2008 07:47 PM

You will need an engine rebuild for a safe 400bhp on a classic STi, probably need a clutch and gearbox, brakes will suffer at that bhp, torque is the killer though, personally for a few k more you can get a new age JDM/UK STi which has a stronger engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes and cheaper to upgrade to the 400bhp :)

Tony:)

benny23 06 June 2008 07:54 PM

Cheers mate thanks for the reply all advice has been noted, how do you mean torque would be the killer mate? forgive if this is a stupid question ha. would 360bhp be a more achievable goal with the v4-5 sti cars?

ben :)

TonyBurns 07 June 2008 12:06 AM

340bhp would be safer on a classic STi, the torque will kill the gearbox and clutch over the BHP, for instance you could have a classic with 400bhp and 380lbs of torque, the gearbox would struggle and the clutch wouldnt last long, if you have a 340bhp/300lbs classic that would be far less enduring as the clutches are not rated that high in classics unlike the newage STI's where they are rated at 450lbs+

TonyBurns 07 June 2008 12:07 AM

Oh and i should put down that a v4 car is classed as a phase 1.5 and the v5 is a phase 2 car, biggest difference is that you can map the phase 2 ecu, if you had the 1.5 you would need a new ecu (gems, simtek, hydra etc)

dunx 07 June 2008 02:23 PM

First question should be why do you think you need 400 bhp in a classic !

Not being arsey, but 300 bhp is more than nice, and the extra costs of trying to keep the transmission intact make it a thankless task.

New-age WRX are still killing gearboxes with over 350 bhp, so a new-age STI is your best bet. Could be had from £7K, but you will need several grand to up-rate the turbo etc. to get to 400 bhp.

I'm doing it myself, but only because I won't need a new clutch, gearbox, engine....

HTH

DunxC

benny23 07 June 2008 06:54 PM

Dont know realy mate just thought i would ask if it was achivable or worth while, i dont think i will bother with the 400 mark however i would like to see 340 that would be nice, wouldnt need any more than that for what i want the car for. Im setting by 4k for modifications would that be a good sum for the power gains and making everything safe and reliable? And i was also looking to go to subaru 4 you in newbury, would that be a good choice!? Thanks for advice guys

ben

exvaux 08 June 2008 02:35 PM

what about buying one already with some of the mods done?Chris singleton is selling a nice 2.5 converted classic with 6 speed box on here,a bit more than 6k but wont need 4k to get it to 400bhp if you want it

Blacksimus 08 June 2008 03:25 PM

First thing you need is a deep pocket or should I say bottomless.

benny23 08 June 2008 09:53 PM

ive got a bit more saving to do!!! wish i had the money now though haha.
has any one got pics of there v4-v5 sti with prodrive p1 wheels in gold and anthracite colours so i can compare im not sure what colour to go for? thanks for the input so for guys the most friendly one ive ever been apart of!
:) ben

benny23 08 June 2008 09:56 PM

i ment the most friendly car owners site ive been part of as the last bit of my last post made no sense haha
:freak3: