ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Vax or Henry? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/690912-vax-or-henry.html)

David Lock 31 May 2008 08:16 AM

Vax or Henry?

Our trusty old Vax has packed up (bit of plastic broken) so we need to replace.

The Vax has been terrific but I know Henrys have a good reputation.

So any thoughts from users please? Any other brands?

It will just be used for cleaning up in kitchen area with hard floor and dog hairs everywhere. And for cleaning carpeted stairs. And for odd jobs like catching Daddy Long Legs, Wasps and cleaning out car once a year :)

Don't need a carpet washing facility and don't want to have to buy paper bags. So the suckier the better with some tools.

Thanks, David

hutton_d 31 May 2008 08:43 AM

Henry without a doubt. Got one and used to have a Vax, before it went to the great vacuum store in the sky, and it's miles better.

Oh, you get a carpet/stone floor thingie (you know, the usual vacuum attachment) plus a slim nozzle for, well, those 'hard to reach' places (like the sides of the seats in your car by the centre console!). And bags are dead cheap anyway.

Dave

B0DSKI 31 May 2008 08:47 AM

Henry every time. The new Vax are nothing like the old ones, we are a service agen for them and they are total sh1te

mykp 31 May 2008 08:50 AM

henry here, one of my mates runs a cleaning company and they only used the little red and black henrys for office and domestic and he says its the best for the price.

Sonic' 31 May 2008 08:51 AM

Our installers use Henry's every day on site, they have never broke down yet after several years hard use

I think that will be my next choice once my Vax goes

The Chief 31 May 2008 10:11 AM

I bought a VAX to wash my carpet. biggest pile of crap i've bought 90 quid and a waste of time. washes bugger all:razz:

Scoobychick 31 May 2008 10:11 AM

My Mum's Henry finally gave up after 20 odd years of reliability :thumb:

Our Henry is still sucking like a goodun after one house renovation and countless spider jobs :D Henry all the way :thumb:

He's red, he's round, he sucks stuff off the ground :D

Abdabz 31 May 2008 10:13 AM

I own a henry. He is my pet. He rules. He is red. Buy a henry. Yes. MAKE IT SO...

Scoobychick 31 May 2008 10:24 AM

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/p.../230135086.jpg

How could you resist his cute lickle face :luvlove:

David Lock 31 May 2008 10:31 AM

Well thanks guys (and the junior moderator :) ).

We seem to have a clear winner :notworthy

You'd better be right 'cos her indoors has been very happy with the old Vax.

Might pop into Argos if I can face the unwashed and see what they have. I wonder if Staples do them as I have an account there and would be able to claim back VAT?

Thanks again. David

Shark Man 31 May 2008 10:34 AM

Broken bit of plastic?

FIX IT!

4Vax.co.uk - genuine vax spares, spare parts and accessories

Browse accessories by machine type

Seems silly to throw away a vacuum for what could be a £10 part.

HankScorpio 31 May 2008 10:39 AM

Are you lot in the Henry Vacuum Cleaner Fan Club...?

dpb 31 May 2008 10:40 AM

Aqua vac does the same job 10 years so far around about 1/3 the price , cos it doesnt have a smiley face on it ;)

the secret is dont use em wet

Jonto 31 May 2008 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 7908850)
My Mum's Henry finally gave up after 20 odd years of reliability :thumb:

Our Henry is still sucking like a goodun after one house renovation and countless spider jobs :D Henry all the way :thumb:

He's red, he's round, he sucks stuff off the ground :D

My mum has a Kirby.....its the same age as my sister. 27 years old and still going strong !

Beat that Henry :D

David Lock 31 May 2008 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jonto (Post 7908889)
My mum has a Kirby.....its the same age as my sister. 27 years old and still going strong !

I can't risk an Infraction by asking the obvious question comparing your sister with the Henry............. :nono:

StickyMicky 31 May 2008 11:04 AM

we use henrys at work for valeting

only thing we have ever broken are the crevice tools (muppets standing on them) and the power/on off switch broke once (pennies to replace)

we dont use bags with ours, just the standard filter, we jetwash the filter when it gets to dirty.

did go through a phase of blowing the motors for a while, but found out it was one of the lazy staff sucking up water with them to break them so he did not have to do any work :rolleyes:

the rest of the time its just abused every day, sometimes they are getting a good 10 hours non stop use, tough little beggers :D

shame the george units are a bit crap and flimsy when abused in the trade (broke loads of them to be honest)

David Lock 31 May 2008 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7908880)
Broken bit of plastic?

FIX IT!

4Vax.co.uk - genuine vax spares, spare parts and accessories

Browse accessories by machine type

Seems silly to throw away a vacuum for what could be a £10 part.

I don't want you to think of me as a chuck away merchant. But I don't think it is fixable.

The main part of the machine with motor etc is a sealed unit and this sits on top of the cleaner and held in place by two clips that locate over a couple of slots in the main body. On the main body there is a little recess with a lip that holds the clips in place. One of these has broken off so the clip doesn't hold. So I would need a new main body to resolve this. I can use gaffer tape to hold it all in place on a temporary, but not permanent, basis.

Believe me I don't like throwing away something that nearly works :) dl

StickyMicky 31 May 2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7908916)
I don't want you to think of me as a chuck away merchant. But I don't think it is fixable.

The main part of the machine with motor etc is a sealed unit and this sits on top of the cleaner and held in place by two clips that locate over a couple of slots in the main body. On the main body there is a little recess with a lip that holds the clips in place. One of these has broken off so the clip doesn't hold. So I would need a new main body to resolve this. I can use gaffer tape to hold it all in place on a temporary, but not permanent, basis.

Believe me I don't like throwing away something that nearly works :) dl

lol you should have seen some of my "bodgeits" when our george machine has broken down at the last min and we have a customer coming in say 1 hours time to pick a car up :thumb:

one of them was butchered and a motor from an hoover aquamaster was screwed down inside with metal strips to hold it in place :lol1:

Sonic' 31 May 2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jonto (Post 7908889)

Yes, but does she 'suck' as well as a kirby :D

fatherpierre 31 May 2008 11:21 AM

Aren't Kirbys about a grand, sold by door-to-door pressure salesmen?

My Henry is about 10yrs old and going strong.

tomski2 31 May 2008 11:22 AM

What model is this vax?
If its the old 121 the part you need is nla.

Shark Man 31 May 2008 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7908924)
lol you should have seen some of my "bodgeits" when our george machine has broken down at the last min and we have a customer coming in say 1 hours time to pick a car up :thumb:

one of them was butchered and a motor from an hoover aquamaster was screwed down inside with metal strips to hold it in place :lol1:

Araldite*: best bodgit glue known to man :thumb:

*Not on oven handles though; seems it melts at anything above 100degrees :o

Our dust extrator broke (some US brand) when some feejit sat on it, pushing two of the castors through the canister base......was fixed using two baked cans araldited on to the base and the castors fixed to the baked bean cans....kind of had a "hot rod" look to it afterwards...especially after someone found some flame stickers and stuck them on the sides :rolleyes:

I also should warn that a Vax doesn't take too kindly to being used as water pump when the ping-pong ball is missing :o.......Squash-ball sorted it though :D

Sonic' 31 May 2008 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7908939)
Aren't Kirbys about a grand, sold by door-to-door pressure salesmen?

My Henry is about 10yrs old and going strong.

Yes they were very expensive, but think about it, Jonto has one that is 27 years old

How often do you replace your hoover these days, just goes to show that Kirby represents good value for money it would seem

Especially as these days pay 300 quid for a Dyson

How much are Henry's these days

fatherpierre 31 May 2008 11:37 AM

Quite cheap considering how long they last:

Henry | Compare Vacuum Cleaners Prices & Info - Kelkoo

Lee247 31 May 2008 01:27 PM

I take it a Hoover is a rather complex piece of machinery for you blokes to be taking such an interest :D

David Lock 31 May 2008 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by tomski2 (Post 7908941)
What model is this vax?
If its the old 121 the part you need is nla.

Yep a 121 (1000 watt)..........

But not designed for wimmin to pull it around by using the power lead :wonder: d

David Lock 31 May 2008 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7908953)

How much are Henry's these days

Well I've just bought one from Currys for £99.99

Numatic Henry Red HVR-200

And I don't want to know if they are £55.99 at so and so's :Whatever_ d

Sonic' 31 May 2008 02:12 PM

Cheers David

I honestly had no idea on how much they were, hence the question

IIRC I paid 100 quid for my VAX a few years ago, but it rarely gets used as we have another upright Vax bagless which is very very good

David Lock 31 May 2008 03:27 PM

Nothing these days.........

Just a tank of diesel :Whatever_

Now where's Psycho? :lol1:

Removed. 31 May 2008 05:13 PM

I bought a Vax about 17-18 yrs ago, been brilliant, however when it does finally kark it, I wont bother replacing it. The missus bought a Dyson, one of the small jobbies that you can sit on the stairs (C100:wonder: ) as the Vax is too industrial for her delicate little frame!:Whatever_

Most of the office cleaners seem to use Henry's, so if it's cleaner proof, they must be good, and a lot of tradesmen seem to use them. Check out the back of most plumbers, builders or sparkies van, and you'll probably see a Henry smiling back at you. That is if they can be bothered to clean up after themselves. Used to use a dustpan and brush in my days as a telecoms engineer, that way you learn not to make a mess in the first place.