ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Car tax for vehicles over 25 years old (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/690553-car-tax-for-vehicles-over-25-years-old.html)

bencs1 29 May 2008 01:32 PM

Car tax for vehicles over 25 years old

Do you know if you have to pay car tax on a vehicle that is over 25 years old, as I thought you didn't have to pay for it. I have been told that apparently they have upped the limit to 35 years but just wondered if this was true.

douglasb 29 May 2008 01:33 PM

It used to be a rolling 25 year exemption, however some time ago (1998 I guess ;)) this was stopped. The exemption is now for cars built before Jan 1st 1973.

Spec'c'57 29 May 2008 01:34 PM

Only vehicles before 1973.

Exemptions from paying vehicle tax : Directgov - Motoring

fatherpierre 29 May 2008 01:42 PM

NL took the rolling 25 year rule from us. The start of the motorist being squeezed like never before.

Fantom 29 May 2008 01:46 PM

I guess its because cars last longer these days? So they realise there will be a lot of 25 year old cars driving round if they were tax exempt.
Surely we should be encouraged to keep our cars for longer and make use out of them. One way of fixing the environment would be to seriously reduce the production of new cars.

bencs1 29 May 2008 01:51 PM

cheers guys.
I will pass on the bad news to my dad whose golf is 25 years old and just coming up to the time to be taxed.

fatherpierre 29 May 2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fantom (Post 7904542)
I guess its because cars last longer these days? So they realise there will be a lot of 25 year old cars driving round if they were tax exempt.
Surely we should be encouraged to keep our cars for longer and make use out of them. One way of fixing the environment would be to seriously reduce the production of new cars.

Done simply for cash.

Eventually no car will be tax exempt due to being old, closing another 'perk'

vindaloo 29 May 2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7904614)
Done simply for cash.

Eventually no car will be tax exempt due to being old, closing another 'perk'

Nope, more, I think to let older cars stay the domain of those who genuinely know what they're about. And to get dodgy, old lethal deathtraps off the roads.

A more sinister explanation is that it's the start of the plan to remove motorised personal transport from the domain of the average working class person.

J.

fatherpierre 29 May 2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 7904900)
Nope, more, I think to let older cars stay the domain of those who genuinely know what they're about. And to get dodgy, old lethal deathtraps off the roads.

A more sinister explanation is that it's the start of the plan to remove motorised personal transport from the domain of the average working class person.

J.

If tax was out of the reach of people I'd agree with you. It's not, and most can afford it. MOt tests get dangerous cars off the roads regardless of age - the tightening of MOT testing and who does them is hteir safety reason.

I've had countless cars over 25 yrs old and they weren't owned by anyone special before me, or after me.

Many cars built back then were built better than some are now and last long simply because of that reason.

You don't really think GB thought back in '98 "Must get death traps off the road"? He saw a loophole and closed it, making cash in the process.

jjones 29 May 2008 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 7904900)
And to get dodgy, old lethal deathtraps off the roads.

utter rubbish. what do you think mot's are for?

just another way for brown to grab a few more pounds.

dsmith 29 May 2008 08:40 PM

My classic does a few thousand a year....and strangely I dont drive my other car at the same time. Explain to me again why I have to pay tax on both ?

Thieving bar stewards.

mykp 29 May 2008 08:51 PM

Why do I have to pay road tax for the 70% of the time my car is parked up, on a private road on private property. Its not parked on the road or on a public highway! :wonder:

I should get a discount :D

Nate 29 May 2008 09:56 PM

I keep saying it ..... I will have to get my '62 Land Rover back on the road :D