ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   launch control question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/690503-launch-control-question.html)

powerwrx 29 May 2008 09:50 AM

launch control question

hi all, can someone explain how launch control works please, ive had a look in the search but cant find anything.

also can it be mapped to any ecu..ie ecutek map.

thanks

andy97 29 May 2008 09:57 AM

Ive got a simtek with launch control, iI think it just holds the revs at a certain point(even at full throttle) prior to letting the clutch go, the rest is up to you.

I found my launch control was set too low for it to be of any use at SSO, so I didnt use it and went for 6-6.5k rpm launches which worked really well.

gussy 29 May 2008 10:05 AM

Well I went the other way Andy and found the same as you on the day I have it set 2 low at 5.900 mine is mapped into the o/e ecu via ecutek activated via 1st gear selection.

powerwrx 29 May 2008 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 7903970)
Ive got a simtek with launch control, iI think it just holds the revs at a certain point(even at full throttle) prior to letting the clutch go, the rest is up to you.

I found my launch control was set too low for it to be of any use at SSO, so I didnt use it and went for 6-6.5k rpm launches which worked really well.

cool,did you find doing 6k rpm launches to burn your clutch? or was it ok

also GUSSY how much did it cost to have it mapped into your ecutek map?

is it advisable on a standard clutch

gussy 29 May 2008 11:17 AM

Well it cost me about £200 to have launch control added basically your chosen mapper or better the mapper who has mapped your car if your car has already been remapped lifts your map out of the ecu underlays the new map with launch control and then puts your origional map over the top as for clutch mine is running 400/400 and I now need a new clutch it started to slip at scoobyshootout so a new twinplate is going in in the next couple of weeks.

alloy 29 May 2008 01:32 PM

i have launch control on the evo, works like a 2 step system. When the car is stationary and the accelerator is at WOT the revs bounce at a preset value, which i can decide with the software on my laptop.

is a good system and makes a margin of boost but i think its pretty redundant on a 4wd car because you can launch one pretty easily. I suppose just gives you some consistency

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 02:18 PM

I had mine mapped into the ECUTek with AndyF, included in the price. It's set at 5500rpm. Select first, foot flat down and it bounces of the pre-defined RPM. It built nearly a bar of boost before i let off.

When you kick off the clutch, as soon as the ECU recognises 1mph, full revs become available.

I never launched it, too scared for the clutch. Apparently it's like being fired out of a catapult. :)

jd5217 29 May 2008 02:22 PM

just do it before you sell it.

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 7904606)
just do it before you sell it.

I'll have too, but i dread shelling out another £500 on the car for a clutch for the new owner. They've already got a new lip spoiler and carbon mudflaps, never mind the detailing. :)

TBH, the car was shaking and it was making a right noise. I thought...."if i kick the clutch off now, the world will spin backwards or the tarmac ripple" :lol1:

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 02:25 PM

Any people launched a 380-400bhp STi8 on the standard clutch??

andy97 29 May 2008 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by powerwrx (Post 7904071)
cool,did you find doing 6k rpm launches to burn your clutch? or was it ok

also GUSSY how much did it cost to have it mapped into your ecutek map?

is it advisable on a standard clutch

Its a organic uprated Api clutch, probably a little under rated for my power, but held up very well from 6k launches

gussy 29 May 2008 03:27 PM

Gaz mine was a standard clutch and the cars a 400/400 car it did last years shootout and a few trackdays,Its done one trackday this year and started to give up at this years shootout tbh launching isnt that bad I have an excedy twinplate with lightweight flywheel to go on it in the next couple of weeks when I can be bothered to get it out of the garage.

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 04:29 PM

What did the Exedy & FW cost you gussy?

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 04:30 PM

Also...is your spec C clutch the same as a EU/UK clutch??

bigsinky 29 May 2008 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7904870)
What did the Exedy & FW cost you gussy?

exedy is expensive. my twin plate cost about £1500 plus the flywheel plus fitting. :eek: having said that, drives just like a normal clutch, really smooth and progressive, not like some of the on/off clutches with no biting point.

GazTheHat 29 May 2008 05:48 PM

:eek2:

And an AP organic?

gussy 29 May 2008 06:53 PM

Gaz as far as Im aware all the clutches on the 6 speed weather it be a uk or jdm are the same but dont quote me on that one :) the excedy/flywheel combo I bought off a member of here with only 2 months of road use on it and it was a lot cheaper than brand new which has just been quoted it was removed off the car by API and checked as very good that is one of the reasons why I bought it.