ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   How to change rear drop links and ARB (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/690122-how-to-change-rear-drop-links-and-arb.html)

Claaarkio 27 May 2008 03:06 PM

How to change rear drop links and ARB

11 Attachment(s)
A quick "How to" guide on how to fit drop links and ARB to a 93 impreza.

Firstly locate the drop links as seen in the pic here:

Attachment 49945

You can see the standard ARB connecting to the top of the Drop link.

Here is a pic of the STD ARB:

Attachment 49946

First step is to remove the std ARB by unbolting the top bolt on each drop link:

Attachment 49947

and then the clamps holding the ARB/Bush to the car:

Attachment 49948

Attachment 49949

Once once undone the ARB will be released from the car, some manuveuring will be needed to get it over the top of the exhaust.

once out it looks like this:

Attachment 49950

You can now remove the bottom nut of the drop link and remove:

Attachment 49951

Old vs. new:

Attachment 49952

Fitting is reversal of removing :)

New drop link fitted:

Attachment 49953

With New ARB in place on firm setting:

Attachment 49954

New ARB in place and ready to be tested!:

Attachment 49955

Hope its useful to someone.

Cheers

Dave

Granby 28 May 2008 12:21 PM

Nice little guide mate, hope you did put plenty of the grease supplied on all the moving parts

joey_turbo 28 May 2008 12:32 PM

Very nice, I'm hoping to do this myself at some point :thumb:

andykaz23 28 May 2008 03:03 PM

Nice guide. So what diameter bar did you go for, and what is your feelings on the change? This is osmething i am considering doing imminantly. Just have to decide if i need front and rear bars and what thicknesses to choose....

Claaarkio 28 May 2008 03:53 PM

Cheers for the comments, yes all greased up, forgot to mention that in the text! In fact a tip would be get the ARB in position above the exhaust before greasing and fitting the bushes, i didn't and it gets a bit messy :)

I got it from ScoobyClinic and i dont think it gave me a choice, i assume 22mm?

The cornering is now much more controlled and stable, i can feel the wheels gripping and digging in when sharp cornering in 2nd gear. Much less body roll and positive feed back. Still waiting to do a fast corner, like dual carridgeway slip road.

All in all well worth doing and an easy job!

Dave :)

fpan 28 May 2008 04:06 PM

Thanks for this , that's a good guide.
There should be a sticky for 'How to' articles in the forum.

Claaarkio 28 May 2008 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 7902406)
Thanks for this , that's a good guide.
There should be a sticky for 'How to' articles in the forum.

yeah i wasn't sure if this had already been done, a "How to" section would be useful!

JimmyBFC 28 May 2008 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Claaarkio (Post 7902580)
yeah i wasn't sure if this had already been done, a "How to" section would be useful!

I agree, a section with things like this, and a buyers guide etc would be very beneficial. :thumb:

AshMurc 28 May 2008 05:55 PM

i did this on sunday-- most difficult thing was reversing back wheels up a set of wheel ramps for first time! few tight nuts but nothing desent socet set can't shift. DO IT!! feels fantstic, like Claaarkio said, and i have done some fast cornering-- tyres squeeling and it still felt great!! you really should do this mod without a shadow of a doubt. mine is a 22mm on middle setting... BRILLIANT!

Mrfastbaz 28 May 2008 06:04 PM

a very useful little post and the picckies are excellent as a guide... well done :thumb:

Milamber 28 May 2008 07:13 PM

Excellent guide -worthy of making a sticky :notworthy

Marin 28 May 2008 08:12 PM

Excellent write up, something I'm intending to do soon. So when the car is sitting on it's wheels, the bar isn't loaded in anyway vertically? e.g. it's doesn't spring off when you undo the mounting bolts? Zen mentioned to me it's worth changing the actual mounting brackets on the body as well as the std ones can also flex. Don't know how much difference they would make?

Claaarkio 28 May 2008 08:53 PM

Cheers for the comments, i did it on a slopeing driveway and there was no tension on the ARB, only slight problem i had was getting the bolt back in the arb bracket by the exhaust, a few pumps on the trolley jack soon pushed it into position though :)

olliecampbell 28 May 2008 09:11 PM

Good stuff...what grease did you use? Just the basic bog standard Halfrauds one?

joey_turbo 28 May 2008 09:12 PM

So that ARB fitted the standard mounting brackets ok, despite its overall thickness?

Claaarkio 29 May 2008 10:00 AM

The ARB and droplinks both come with a packet of grease, indeed no need to change the bush brackets :)

escott 30 May 2008 01:30 PM

Great guide, thanks. I'm looking to change just the droplinks this weekend. I'm guessing I don't need to remove the ARB from the brackets to do this?

Cheers.

Claaarkio 30 May 2008 07:42 PM

No mate you'll just need to undo the top and bottom bolts and remove the old droplink then in with the new, grease it up and bobs your uncle!

escott 30 May 2008 11:00 PM

Cheers, you make it sound easy, if I was a little less inept I'm sure it would be :)

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 10 October 2008 11:31 AM

Cheers for this, I'll use this when fitting my new ARB's. Good guide.:thumb:

Claaarkio 10 October 2008 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa (Post 8189523)
Cheers for this, I'll use this when fitting my new ARB's. Good guide.:thumb:

Gald it could be of Help mate :)

rooferman 10 October 2008 04:13 PM

Any guides for front rollbar and links?????

Have front and rear waiting to go on.......