ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   turbo help (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/689427-turbo-help.html)

smithy 7 23 May 2008 05:59 PM

turbo help

hi guys my new turbo came today im going to be fitting it tomorrow,whats the things i need to look out for,and is there anything i need to keep an eye on, thanks guys

"Taylor" 23 May 2008 06:23 PM

Changed mine recently it was easy enough, just get new gaskets for either side of the turbo. I got mine from Import Car Parts - Japanese car parts for Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Mitsubishi and more they were cheap enough and arrived next day.

smithy 7 23 May 2008 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by "Taylor" (Post 7892269)
Changed mine recently it was easy enough, just get new gaskets for either side of the turbo. I got mine from Import Car Parts - Japanese car parts for Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Mitsubishi and more they were cheap enough and arrived next day.

when i spoke to dav at api he said i shout be able to use the ones i got on there,do you think that will be ok,

"Taylor" 23 May 2008 06:43 PM

Well you could prob get away with it, but as i was replacing the original 15 year old turbo, for the small price of the gaskets i renewed them too. Makes sense to change them while its all off rather than chance it. Give Import Car Parts a ring and price them, can't remember the price but it wasn't much.

smithy 7 23 May 2008 06:46 PM

yeah ok mate il give them a ring,as you said as it off may as well change them, thanks mate

"Taylor" 23 May 2008 07:28 PM

No probs, sorry i can't remember the price...i bought a few bits from them. Theres a gasket either side of the turbo, i changed both. :thumb:
If you have an import this company is awesome for parts, great prices, knowledgeable bloke on the other end, and very speedy on the delivery.

KJD Mk1 23 May 2008 10:00 PM

What turbo did you get in the end?

smithy 7 23 May 2008 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by kjdmk1 (Post 7892797)
What turbo did you get in the end?

alright mate,i got the same as im taken off its a vf29 from api, and iv orderd a hybird frontmount today, what air filter would you recommend for me to get aswell, thanks mate

greenperil 23 May 2008 11:26 PM

ive just changed my turbo pretty straight forward. i also think its false econmy not to put new gaskets on, if the old ones blow they make a hell of a racket and you only got to go through the exercise again :cry: . also make sure you install the drain pipe underneath turbo properly they tend to kink causing oil to go everywhere. happy fitting :thumb:

KJD Mk1 23 May 2008 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by smithy 7 (Post 7892983)
alright mate,i got the same as im taken off its a vf29 from api, and iv orderd a hybird frontmount today, what air filter would you recommend for me to get aswell, thanks mate

I assume you mean a VF28:wonder:

I have and APS one on mine is a great piece of kit with the cone inside the inner wing but my god are they pricey:eek:

TBH everyone really rates the Roger Clarke induction kits, they are maf friendly unlike most others.

I have a nearly new HKS induction kit off a scooby, its cheap if your interested but they are not the best if i'm honest.

smithy 7 23 May 2008 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by kjdmk1 (Post 7893042)
I assume you mean a VF28:wonder:

I have and APS one on mine is a great piece of kit with the cone inside the inner wing but my god are they pricey:eek:

TBH everyone really rates the Roger Clarke induction kits, they are maf friendly unlike most others.

I have a nearly new HKS induction kit off a scooby, its cheap if your interested but they are not the best if i'm honest.

il have a look at the aps one and the roger clarke one and go from there,
well i did have a vf 28 on it but dav sent me a vf29 down and he said the vf28,29,30 are all the same,so iv got that one, thats ok ant it, thanks

smithy 7 23 May 2008 11:48 PM

APS induction kits £168 ha ha,they do cost a bit dont they,

KJD Mk1 23 May 2008 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by smithy 7 (Post 7893054)
il have a look at the aps one and the roger clarke one and go from there,
well i did have a vf 28 on it but dav sent me a vf29 down and he said the vf28,29,30 are all the same,so iv got that one, thats ok ant it, thanks

David will see you right :thumb:

Yep told you the APS stuff was pricey:(