ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   funny misfire 2001 bugeye wrx (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/689401-funny-misfire-2001-bugeye-wrx.html)

Rice Rocket 23 May 2008 04:39 PM

funny misfire 2001 bugeye wrx

had a slight misfire on the ol girl last couple of week.
changed the plugs (7bs) and checked the coilpacks they seeme & looked all ok. had maf checked on the select monitor at my scooby garage came up ok.

any ideas? it seems to get worse when the cars heated up and sitting in traffic.

mods;
lightend flywheel
lightend crank pulley
fmic
apexi induction
remapped by andy F.

thanks for any help!

S!

bugeyeandy 23 May 2008 05:21 PM

Has it got lots of miles - have you changed the fuel filter ever?
Also, have a word with Andy F and get some advice on the plugs gaps. As far as i'm aware they need a smaller gap on tuned cars?

Rice Rocket 23 May 2008 10:33 PM

YEah the fuel filter was changed about yr ago.

Maybe the gap needs checked on the plugs then.
Thanks
S!

Rice Rocket 30 May 2008 09:52 AM

Right, still got this problem. emailed Andy F and suggested that disconnecting the battery as I may have had dodgy fuel.
Did this yesterday for 5 hrs and still this morning felt a small misfire, but when I came to a stop the revs dropped too 200 and sounds really bad, slight rev and it jumped to the normal 750 -800 ish.
Any other ideas, going to change the fuel filter tomorrow.
Do you think its the coil packs?

S!

PeeVee 30 May 2008 10:22 AM

How old is the car, would it be a 98-00my by any chance?

Phil

DaveBeck 30 May 2008 10:26 AM

could it be an air leak somewhere causing bad fuel mix on tickover.

worth a quick check on all your jubilee clips on intake piping after MAF.

if it was doing it before you changed the plugs i think it cancels them out

Rice Rocket 30 May 2008 11:01 AM

Its a 2001 bugeye wrx.

Thats what I thought re the plugs, I have had a quick look at the joints of the FMIC and inlet pipe, would spraying WD40 around those areas be harmful to the engine to see if there was a leak?

Thanks again
S!

PeeVee 30 May 2008 11:29 AM

Wd40 is ok, but brake cleaner works very well & no you won't damage your engine.

Midlife...... 30 May 2008 11:43 AM

My ICVS went on my bugeye WRX giving low speed and idle problems....... the replacement cost made my nose bleed :(

Hope you get it sorted :)

Shaun

Rice Rocket 30 May 2008 11:59 AM

Cheers I'll try brake cleaner.

And Shaun, i wouldnt say my speed has went but I can defo feel the differnce when switching maps?! I would say tho that the idling goes to pot once warmed up.

S!

DaveBeck 30 May 2008 04:37 PM

ive heard carb cleaner is good at finding leaks. if you rev & hold rev(say3000rpm) while spraying it around pipes, if it goes into a leak along your intake pipes etc you will hear engine hesitate slightly. not harmfull either.

just another idea. maybe brake cleaner will do the same.

keep us updated pls as good to find out what problem was

Rice Rocket 30 May 2008 04:52 PM

will guys, good advice here.
thanks
S!

cookstar 30 May 2008 04:57 PM

Had a weird problem on my bug but when on boost, it turned out to be a bad bit of fuel in it. Have you tried filling it up since?

Rice Rocket 30 May 2008 07:40 PM

well I had half a tank in it when I disconnected the battery, it did seem alot better when I was driving home tonight hmmm

S!

cookstar 30 May 2008 07:43 PM

hmmm, personally i would take her for a good drive, shouldnt take too long to drain most of that half a tank, fill her up again and see what happens.

Rice Rocket 05 June 2008 11:53 AM

Getting there!

Fitted my new defi gauge last night and was listening to the noises and spraying with brake cleaner, still no change, but I did find what sounds like a air leak!

Took off the alt and had a check to see if there as any pipes under the front of the manifold but nothing to be seen leaking,replaced with some new hoses to tidy up.
Does anyone know the sensor thats attached to the inlet manifold to the left of the altenator? Could this be the problem?

Apasrt from that, the cars running better and can feel the boost alot better than before.
Thanks
S!