ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   security phonecall (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/688826-security-phonecall.html)

powerwrx 20 May 2008 03:19 PM

security phonecall

hi all,just wondered if anyone else has had this call.. phone rang today and a bloke was on the other end,he said he was calling from a security ferm (cant remember the name now) but it was all to do with a scheme that was in my post code area tomorrow (wednesday) in which someone will call round to my house to make sure all my security was in check such as ,house alarm,smoke detecters ect..and just have a general chat about fraud issues and other crimes in my area.

whilst the guy is at my house i will be given a paper shredder (for free) so i can shred my important documents etc,plus he will mark all my valuable things with a special pen so that should they be pinched,they are more easily recognised by police should they be found.. i also get to keep the pen (for free)

Now dont get me wrong i might just be being paranoid, but i thought it was strange.

sorry for the long post

:thumb:

RoShamBo 20 May 2008 03:22 PM

Is this a joke post?

If not, and he turns up at your house, send him packing.

Bodgit 20 May 2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RoShamBo (Post 7885005)
Is this a joke post?

If not, and he turns up at your house, send him packing.

Ditto + call the police in case they want to be there to meet them

powerwrx 20 May 2008 03:26 PM

no joke guys,got the call about an hour or so ago, from a with held number too. he asked for me by surname

fivetide 20 May 2008 03:27 PM

contact your local cops. they should know if there is such an initiative in the area. if not, they can be there waiting to nab him if he turns up.

also, if you told him you "couldn't do a certain time" because you were out then i would be changing your plans and making sure you are in if you catch my drift.

5t.

powerwrx 20 May 2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 7885018)
contact your local cops. they should know if there is such an initiative in the area. if not, they can be there waiting to nab him if he turns up.

also, if you told him you "couldn't do a certain time" because you were out then i would be changing your plans and making sure you are in if you catch my drift.

5t.

sliped up there mate, he asked when would be convenient to call tomorrow,morning or afternoon, im at work in the morning so i said afternoon, he also gave me a time slot choise, 1pm or 4pm

Bodgit 20 May 2008 03:37 PM

looks like you may need tomorrow off work.

davegtt 20 May 2008 03:42 PM

LOL amazing what information you can find off people with a simple phone call and nobody picking up on simple things. Hes probably sat there thinking well if he didnt think that was dodgy theres a good chance his house is easy to get into and stuff wont already be security mark ;) Otherwise its a legit call but the Police will tell you that either way. Wouldnt entertain anybody ringing me up to come and give me a visit about security measurements :D

MJW 20 May 2008 03:50 PM

He will come round, give you a free £1 pen and £3 manual shredder, then proceed to high pressure sell you a £2000 burglar alarm

Torquemada 20 May 2008 04:46 PM

Yeah mate, check with the cops as they may know of theives etc. operating in the area but I would not entertain the guy's wishes for an 'appointment' with you anyway. If you want to know how to protect your house properly, talk to a crime prevention officer or sommat.
I don't give anyone any details when they call me, even my bank, as you can't be sure who you are talking to nowadays (especially with all these call centers all over the world).
Being paranoid doesn't mean they're not all out to get you, as they say :)

I'm feckin' surprised you thought of letting the guy into your house to show him all your most valuable possessions, lol :lol1:

timmy2take 20 May 2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 7885076)
He will come round, give you a free £1 pen and £3 manual shredder, then proceed to high pressure sell you a £2000 burglar alarm

Or just arrange for some of his monkeys to come and rob your house after he's seen you've got a top of the range TV & Stereo etc. 100% phone the police and make sure your in during the morning.

al4x1 20 May 2008 05:05 PM

the big thing is where did he get your number from?

pimmo2000 20 May 2008 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by al4x1 (Post 7885209)

Phone book ?

AndyC_772 20 May 2008 05:18 PM

The phone book?

timmy2take 20 May 2008 05:19 PM

Directory Inquiries?

pimmo2000 20 May 2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 7885247)
The phone book?

Echo
Echo
echo

timmy2take 20 May 2008 05:26 PM

Directory Inquiries?

MJW 20 May 2008 06:18 PM

If you're not subscribed to the Telephone Preference Service they could've bought the phone number (along with thousands of others) from some marketing company.

PaulC72 20 May 2008 06:33 PM

Wow they will come round and mark up your important stuff.....so they can rob you in the dark with night vision goggles on :) very dodgy...

timmy2take 20 May 2008 06:41 PM

Directory Inquiries?

Reffro 20 May 2008 09:27 PM

You've just made an appointment for someone to come sell you something, burgular alarm most likely. The important thing is as it was a pre-arranged appointment, there will be no cooling off period. You sign, you've bought it. If they had just turned up without notice, you would have 7 days to change your mind.

timmy2take 20 May 2008 09:31 PM

Best bet if they do try and sell you an alarm system etc. is to say your brother is in the business and is actually coming round after work to fit an alarm system. At least you can then have a look about at whats cheap/good etc or that might make the caller drop there price dramatically to get the sale.

r32 21 May 2008 06:53 AM

He may be legit, but always stick to the rule that you dont buy anything first call........

powerwrx 22 May 2008 02:45 PM

just thought ide let you all know.... he never showed up!! :wonder: :Suspiciou

davegtt 22 May 2008 02:52 PM

lol typical, did you take the day off to in the morning?

powerwrx 22 May 2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7889350)
lol typical, did you take the day off to in the morning?

no but i made sure my cctv was recording :D