ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Paddle or Twin Plate Clutchs..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/688777-paddle-or-twin-plate-clutchs.html)

turboDean 20 May 2008 11:12 AM

Paddle or Twin Plate Clutchs.....

Anyone local using a Twin plate or Paddle clutch in there impreza??

Would like to have a go in a car with each type of clutch fitted if possible to see how they feel to help me decide which to go for.
No need to drive the car at any speed more concerned about low speed cltuch control etc. :)

Scudy23 20 May 2008 08:54 PM

My m8 has a paddle clutch in his evo, its very aggressive..... juggery etc.. they say twin is the way to go.

wrxgreen 21 May 2008 10:41 AM

i had an ap paddle cluch in my rs turbo and it was very aggressive at low speed driving ,but ok higher up speeds dont think i would use another 1;)

banny sti 21 May 2008 10:49 AM

Have a car with a exedy twin plate clutch and it is much better than any paddle clutch I have driven as it nowhere near as on/off as a paddle. Needs a few revs to get moving but in slow traffic it is great.

Banny

turboDean 21 May 2008 11:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, i think the best route would be an Exedy/Cusco Twin plate, but just wondering if i could get on with a paddle clutch as they can be had for less than half the price of a twin plate.
I'm a bit skint at the mo after spending so much on the engine/turbo/ECU :(
Also heard that API do a single plate that will handle 500ft/lbs so will have to speak to David @ API about these i think.

Scudy23 21 May 2008 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by turboDean (Post 7886729)
Thanks for the replies guys, i think the best route would be an Exedy/Cusco Twin plate, but just wondering if i could get on with a paddle clutch as they can be had for less than half the price of a twin plate.
I'm a bit skint at the mo after spending so much on the engine/turbo/ECU :(
Also heard that API do a single plate that will handle 500ft/lbs so will have to speak to David @ API about these i think.

ACT Clutches do a street clutch which get very good reviews, they also rate it upto the 500ft/lbs too.

Will have a look now.

Edit : Have a look here
Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc.

The owners name is Adam and he will ship to the UK, works out around 450 quid for me,thats the clutch and pro-lite flywheel.....when the clutch goes in the evo this is where the new one will be coming from. The Heavy duty street clutch ( HDSS )

Hope this helps bud.

Richy B 21 May 2008 09:15 PM

Speak to Frank (aka Money) as he use to get cheap clutches that were capable of handling that sort of power... :thumb:

WRX RCY 22 May 2008 09:21 AM

Could try indigo. The one VC was on about

turboDean 22 May 2008 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scudy23 (Post 7887603)
ACT Clutches do a street clutch which get very good reviews, they also rate it upto the 500ft/lbs too.

Will have a look now.

Edit : Have a look here
Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc.

The owners name is Adam and he will ship to the UK, works out around 450 quid for me,thats the clutch and pro-lite flywheel.....when the clutch goes in the evo this is where the new one will be coming from. The Heavy duty street clutch ( HDSS )

Hope this helps bud.

BOB'5 on here does ACT clutchs and rates them to 450+ft/lbs so these could be an option :)
I've sent them a mail for a price to the UK for just the clutch kit as i already have a light weight flywheel. :thumb:

Scudy23 23 May 2008 01:40 AM

Who's BOB'5 ????

turboDean 23 May 2008 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scudy23 (Post 7890845)
Who's BOB'5 ????

He one of the Authorised Advertisers on here, not sure on the company, but thats his username.

Adam at Z-1 has advised me to go for 6 paddle sprung disc clutch for the power my car is at. He says the sprung plate is actually quite easy to use on the road :confused:
The Heavy Duty Street Kit is only rated to 429ft/lbs for a 5 speed and 475ft/lbs for a 6 speed :(

Scudy23 23 May 2008 06:19 PM

Ar right, my bad then......... i would av searched for that guy but the search function is crap, always takes my into google for some reason.

"Taylor" 23 May 2008 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by turboDean (Post 7891480)
only rated to 429ft/lbs for a 5 speed and 475ft/lbs for a 6 speed :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

turboDean 23 May 2008 10:49 PM

:lol: The 6 Paddle version is rated to over 600ft/lbs ;)