ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Things to do in Singapore (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/688089-things-to-do-in-singapore.html)

rob878 16 May 2008 08:15 PM

Things to do in Singapore

Ok what is there to do in Singapore? I'm going out there in June after the wifes work has generously said they would fly me out there to meet up with her when she goes for a 2 week business trip.

Monday to Friday she will be working normal business hours so I need to keep myself amused during the day, and although the bar and pool seem appealing for a bit, I fancy seeing some of the place whilst she works :lol1:.

Gordo 16 May 2008 08:21 PM

The day zoo is amazing (night zoo ok but nowhere near as good). Sunbathing, buying electronics (not sure they're cheap but plenty of shops), boat trips etc.

Not a huge place TBH - and you'll soon get bored of singapore slings!

G

rob878 16 May 2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 7877966)
The day zoo is amazing (night zoo ok but nowhere near as good). Sunbathing, buying electronics (not sure they're cheap but plenty of shops), boat trips etc.

Not a huge place TBH - and you'll soon get bored of singapore slings!

G

Ah cool, the zoo it is, singapore slings? my good man i am British it's G and T's or nothing in the far east. ;) or anywhere to be honest :thumb:

DaveMiddleton 16 May 2008 09:42 PM

Lived there in the 80's. Grat place to live. Not so cheap now as before but very safe and organised.
Suggedt Jurong Bird Park; It is quite spectacular. Zoo also is good. Go see Raffles Hotel form a different era. Go to Sentosa island and see where the Brits wrongly built their defences against Japan in ww2. They came down through Malaya instead. Go down to Singapore river at night . Multitude of restaurants etc. Go to Chinatown (or what is left of it).

Brit_in_Japan 16 May 2008 10:28 PM

Get a bespoke suit made in 6 hours.

rob878 16 May 2008 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan (Post 7878307)
Get a bespoke suit made in 6 hours.

Thats as not as daft as it first appears :D, i am a rather odd shape and struggle to get nice suits to fit me properly with out the jacket looking like a bell tent, Ta for that:thumb: any recommendations?

Daz34 16 May 2008 11:12 PM

Chinatown, Little India and Joo Chiat Road are great places to wonder around and eat too.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 16 May 2008 11:46 PM

Go to Sentosa Island via cable car

Night Zoo (which we thought was excellent)

Raffles for a gin sling or 2 :D

Shark Man 17 May 2008 12:40 AM

Ride the underground.....for a whole day to fully take in and appreciate how easy, cheap, clean, fast and reliable public transport in the UK SHOULD be. :mad:

boxst 17 May 2008 12:52 AM

Champagne brunch at the Marriot was fun. Night Zoo was a little odd to me (full of stuffed animals!). Sentosa Island is good.

Steve

RobJenks 17 May 2008 09:17 AM

4 floors for sunday session - great
cafe de mar sentosa
clarke quay
newton circus
get the ferry and come to batam for golf
or better get a $200 flight to Bangkok

RichardS2005 17 May 2008 09:59 AM

Haw Par Villa - an 'alternative' to western theme parks - used to love it when I was a kid. Built by the guy who invented Tiger Balm to showcase Chinese myhs and folklore...

Uniquely Singapore - Haw Par Villa

Have fun!

Richard

Brit_in_Japan 17 May 2008 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by rob878 (Post 7878317)
Thats as not as daft as it first appears :D, i am a rather odd shape and struggle to get nice suits to fit me properly with out the jacket looking like a bell tent, Ta for that:thumb: any recommendations?

'fraid not. I was just there on a 7 hour stopover and took the chance to have a nose around. I saw a couple of places offering to make bespoke suits but didn't have time to investigate further. Would do if I went there again though.

If you like your food, there's a place called Lau Pa Sat which has an amazing choice at reasonable cost. Arranged into a sort of asterisk shape, it's a building dating from the Victorian era, wrought iron structure, with tables in the middle and down the middle of the "legs". So you get your tray and buy a selection of Indian, Thai, Chinese, Malaysian food from each of the stalls. :thumb:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%2C_Jan_06.JPG

rob878 17 May 2008 02:02 PM

Thanks every one, those suggestions will keep me busy and entertained and out of the bars for a bit ;)

Daz34 17 May 2008 02:43 PM

Remember it's hot & humid as hell out there so pick suitable clothing too if you are gonna walk around otherwise things start to chaff ;)