ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Diesel "running-on"..? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/688073-diesel-running-on.html)

v8voodoo 16 May 2008 06:51 PM

Diesel "running-on"..?

Hi all,

I recently sold my '93 Clio 1.9 diesel (non turbo) to a mate who's started having an issue with it. :(

Basically, it's running on rather badly. She's told me that the last few times she's used it, she's had to stall it to stop the engine trying to continue running.

It's due an oil and filters change as it was last serviced in September, but has only done 3000 miles since then. :wonder:

I'm worried it may be oil leaking past the rings and being used by the engine to continue running, but it's only done 91k miles.

Any ideas what may be causing it..?

Cheers,
Nige.
:thumb:

NotoriousREV 16 May 2008 06:56 PM

As you said, it's likely to be oil getting into the combustion chamber from somewhere. If not the rings, it'll be the valve seals or head gasket.

phoenixgold 16 May 2008 08:04 PM

Don't most diesels stop by cutting the fuel? Is the shut off valve on the pump not operating correctly? Manual pump at that age surely?

ChrisSTI8 16 May 2008 09:45 PM

Will be the fuel cut solenoid and not engine oil getting into the cylinders.

Shark Man 17 May 2008 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by phoenixgold (Post 7877929)
Don't most diesels stop by cutting the fuel? Is the shut off valve on the pump not operating correctly? Manual pump at that age surely?

Its the first thing to check.

If its running on its own oil, it'll should be smoking quite badly - bluish white smoke

Spec'c'57 17 May 2008 10:52 AM

You will defo know if its running on its oil. our transit did this a few months back and TBH was undrivable. Clouds of smoke everywhere. Where as the discovery was running on and was the solenoid.

v8voodoo 17 May 2008 12:20 PM

Had a bit of a look at it last night and think it's the solenoid as suggested above.

Did a voltage check and it was running on when the voltage at the solenoid dropped to zero as the ignition was switched off. No smoke on start up or or when running.

New solenoid to be fitted asap.

Cheers Lads. SN does it again :thumb:

rossyboy 17 May 2008 01:00 PM

as an aside, I would never, ever sell a car to someone I knew. Too much risk of something going wrong and them blaming you IMO

v8voodoo 17 May 2008 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 7879140)
as an aside, I would never, ever sell a car to someone I knew. Too much risk of something going wrong and them blaming you IMO

Yeah, I know the crack with that one and I was admonished (sp?) from any blame, so no worries. :thumb:

Shark Man 17 May 2008 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 7879140)

I know, I had a Priest bless the big ends on my Impreza before my mate collected it :lol1:

Thus far, the handbrake shoes are catching the drums, so apart from it smelling of ferrodo and sounding like an old wheel-barrow, all is well....(for now :o )