ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Got my new system...What O/S you overclockers running (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/68771-got-my-new-system-what-o-s-you-overclockers-running.html)

mega_stream 30 January 2002 02:35 PM

My bits turned up today, so I'll be busy bolting it all together tonight ;)

Just wondered what the preferred OS to run amoungst all you power crazed overclockers :D

Tempted to go with XP, but may settle with the tried and tested Win2000. What you you think?

John

DJ Dunk 30 January 2002 02:36 PM

XP Pro rocks IMHO :)

HHxx 30 January 2002 02:43 PM

Linux ;)

mega_stream 30 January 2002 02:53 PM

DJ yeah I run Win2K on my existing PC, no probs, and run XP Pro on my Compaq Armada Laptop no probs either!

I might well go for XP, I think it might be a case of which ever CD I can find first :D

orbv 30 January 2002 02:59 PM

depends on how big the machine is....

Small=Linux
Large=Solaris

;)

Ga22ar 30 January 2002 03:12 PM

Usable = W2K or XP Pro

DJ Dunk 30 January 2002 04:06 PM

Didn't like Win2k at all, was totally unstable on my Toshiba laptop :( Went bak to win98 on that one and XP pro on the desktop, had no problems with XP, except having to sell off just about every piece of hardware I own cos it's not compatible :rolleyes: :)

DazV 30 January 2002 08:13 PM

Win2k Pro is most excellent, but now I run XP Pro and it kicks mucho ass.

I spent the day hitting my computer with a large hammer and spraying the insides with extra virgin olive oil and its STILL works a treat.

I say WinXP Pro - but watch out for Microsoft peeping on you.

-DV

Shark 30 January 2002 08:32 PM

XP home has been fine for us.

David

DemonDave 30 January 2002 08:37 PM

Xp pro !

AlanW 31 January 2002 01:31 AM

Solaris? What a bag of crap. Very powerful I agree, but so does your knowledge need to be. If you want to spend your time farting about with it then cool, but if you just want a PC to play games, surf the web do various stuff and get lots of decent free/shareware, get Win2K or XP. XP has a more usable front end with some nice features.

AndiThompson 31 January 2002 01:43 AM

Win 98. The original and best.

P1Fanatic 31 January 2002 08:55 AM

Can you play CS on a linux machine - no - nuff said :)

I ran Win2K Pro which was pretty reliable but a bit slow to boot. I now dual boot with XP Pro which is much better and boots super quick. Only problem Ive found is that XP doesnt like talking to other OS's when u go to a mates LAN etc. Connectivity is fine via icmp etc but filesharing is a b*tch and playing older games like RA2 and Duke 3d over IPX just doesnt want to happen - admittedly there is probably an easy fix but I just want to get on with the gaming so use Win2k instead.

mega_stream 31 January 2002 09:07 AM

I built it with Win2K in the end, damn its damn damn fast :D