ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   oil pump (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/687648-oil-pump.html)

scoobybrad 14 May 2008 05:22 PM

oil pump

Hi do u get any signs of the oil oump givin up or is it just one day its fine then the nxt its bye bye? Just wondering also how much is a new one standard and uprated

Cheers?

Cornelius 14 May 2008 05:43 PM

Oil pressure gauge is a good indication.

Oil pressure switch isn't much cop, as damage to the engine can be done before the light comes on.

Roger Clark do a modified oil pump and if memory serves its about £165

scoobybrad 14 May 2008 05:48 PM

Cheers, also do u know way the oil pressure relief valve is as my gauge jumps about a bit from time to time and not sure if it is stickin open or if it is just gauge fooked

Cornelius 14 May 2008 06:13 PM

the releif valve is on the oil pump, and it is prone to sticking. I was on an Autobahn in Germany when the oil pressure gauge went all over the place and the oil temperature gauge shot off the scale, I didn't notice the gauges until the engine started knocking and 10 miles later, it went bang

scoobybrad 14 May 2008 07:24 PM

Is there anyway i can check it? Where bouts is the oil pump? the oil temp is fine and car drives fine so hopefully its not sticking and its just the gauge is knackered just thought i'd check.

Cornelius 14 May 2008 10:10 PM

you can check it, though you got to take the alternator and aircon drive belts off, cambelt front covers off, remove the timing belt, remove the back covers and the oil pump is on the left hand side as you're looking at the engine. The relief valve is under a 10 or 12mm bolt, you can't miss it

scoobybrad 14 May 2008 10:14 PM

:eek2: Nice and simple then, may b easier to just get another gauge and see if it still does it then i'll know there is something wrong there

Cornelius 14 May 2008 10:28 PM

if the gauge is a little suspect, be on the safe side and don't rag the car or do any high speed driving until the gauge is changed, it's better to be safe then sorry, if you got an oil temp gauge, also keep an eye on that too, if it starts creeping up over the "normal" temp, it's a good sign that the pump isn't circulating the oil

scoobybrad 14 May 2008 10:45 PM

Yea got oil temp gauge mate been keepin an eye on it and all seems weel wit that at mo, ill get a new gauge n c wat happens.

Cheers for ur help :thumb:

Cornelius 14 May 2008 10:52 PM

No problem mate, don't want to see what happened with me happen to someone else, mind you what didn't help was the fact I was doing 140mph+ trying to keep up with Nevetas's Porsche GT3 RS at the time and at that speed, by the time I noticed the gauges, it was too late

cookstar 15 May 2008 05:33 AM

Ahh yes I remember that day. :D

Cornelius 15 May 2008 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7874201)
Ahh yes I remember that day. :D

My hero:luvlove: :lol1:

scoobybrad 15 May 2008 04:43 PM

Must admit lookin at gauges at that speed would be the last thing on my mind :lol1:

Did u win :D

Cornelius 15 May 2008 06:14 PM

lol, I topped out at 145, and the porsche was still accelerating!!

scoobybrad 16 May 2008 04:04 PM

So the porsche was slow then lol