ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   GRID vs Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/687582-grid-vs-gran-turismo-5-prologue.html)

DJ Dunk 14 May 2008 10:24 AM

GRID vs Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

YouTube - GT5 vs GRID !

:lol1:

Obviously its meant in good humour, but you knew that right ;)

Iain Young 14 May 2008 12:05 PM

Actually, that about sums up my feelings about GT5 ;) :D

spectrum48k 14 May 2008 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 7872378)
Actually, that about sums up my feelings about GT5 ;) :D

at least GTAIV is keeping me happy - I'm content to just drivelink around marvelling at the world they created. Some of the sights are breathtaking, although it took a while to register it cost $100m to make.

roll on metal gear...

RB5SCOTT 14 May 2008 04:03 PM

I was going to give grid a miss on the basis that it looked a bit like NFS but it actually looks quite good

Neanderthal 14 May 2008 04:46 PM

LMAO, Codemasters should use that to advertise Grid!

cfc2 14 May 2008 06:35 PM

Grid is a wild ride!!!! (you actually get an adrenaline buzz from the game)especially on line, the mustang race on the demo. Its a bitch to avoid the carnage at the start (most total their rides in the first few seconds) along with as ass%^&es who think , the they are playing destruction derby, but the sound effects are great , it looks fab, damage is brill( an orange steering wheel and you've shanked ya wheels and cant drive in a straight line Infuriating esp when some frog has tipped you into the barriers) the handling so..so.. (arcadey), but worth a buy for sure,

messiah 19 May 2008 11:41 AM

ah - the old "lets compare in-game footage to a pre-render" video, not seen one of those for a while...

Neanderthal 19 May 2008 03:00 PM

Have you played the Grid demo Messiah? that 'footage' looks like the replay footage to me.

messiah 19 May 2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 7882814)
Have you played the Grid demo Messiah? that 'footage' looks like the replay footage to me.

yes I have - and can I recommend a trip to the opticians for you? ;)

Neanderthal 19 May 2008 03:25 PM

LOL I am due a visit funnily enough ;)

messiah 19 May 2008 03:46 PM

Just been reading the track list and there's no Nordschleife - it was going to be a toss up between this and Haze and I think Free Radical might just have won it now.

No Nordschleife = wait 'til its in a bargain bucket...

There is a Le Mans track but it doesnt say which...

bob269 19 May 2008 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7882892)
Just been reading the track list and there's no Nordschleife - it was going to be a toss up between this and Haze and I think Free Radical might just have won it now.

No Nordschleife = wait 'til its in a bargain bucket...

There is a Le Mans track but it doesnt say which...

It's nice to have different tracks, i'm personally sick of racing the same circuits in every game.

Geezer 19 May 2008 03:55 PM

Each to their own, but I find Nordschliefe to be an interminably dull track :wonder:

I've played a few games with it and it doesn't really add anything, except you get to see what's like without having to go there!

If the racing is good, what does it matter what tracks they are? If you found the lack of damage irritating in GT, would the fact that it contains Nordshliefe redeem it?

Geezer

Neanderthal 19 May 2008 04:00 PM

The Ring is great for time trials but it's too narrow to have decent races on. And the comedy handling in Grid would make it horrible on it's bumpy surface!

messiah 19 May 2008 04:01 PM

The F1 track is in. I'm more of a fan of real world circuits, made up tracks don't do anything for me and they very rarely seem to promote good racing - only game which seems to get away with it is PGR. NFS is laughably bad.

Grid looks promising, a few weeks ago it was a nailed on cert I'd have been buying it but the demo has put me off, same thing happened with Forza 2 though, crap demo but turned out half decent. Don't think Grid will be the same though, the Dirt engine suited a rallying game but not sure about this.

I just hope that the blurb stating "not representative of final gameplay" turns out true.

bob269 19 May 2008 04:03 PM

Have you tried the Haze demo?

messiah 19 May 2008 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 7882914)
The Ring is great for time trials but it's too narrow to have decent races on. And the comedy handling in Grid would make it horrible on it's bumpy surface!

It is a bit narrow to some extent, but if you're racing with a good group of friends then its not so much of a problem if they're "clean" - you can always turn collisions off.

I will give one thing to Codemasters though, the original TOCA was brilliant - I was hoping Grid was its next-gen update, but it looks like they've gone the Need For Speed route.

messiah 19 May 2008 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7882924)
Have you tried the Haze demo?

I have to say no, but if there's one on the PSN I'll be having a look for it later...

bob269 19 May 2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7882938)
I have to say no, but if there's one on the PSN I'll be having a look for it later...

Apparently there is

Iain Young 19 May 2008 04:45 PM

Yep, there is. I'm downloading now, but it's taken 10 minutes to do 2% so far. I hate the PSN... :(

PeteBrant 19 May 2008 04:54 PM

Yup I downloaded the Haze demo last week.

I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Graphically it's lacking compared to CoD4. I'm not convinced about the nectar angle either.

I need to see some reviews of the full game.

Neanderthal 19 May 2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7882935)
....the original TOCA was brilliant

I 100% agree with you there :thumb:

messiah 19 May 2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 7883248)
I 100% agree with you there :thumb:

ah yes, I remember when the car to have was a Renault Laguna... :lol1:

Sleazy Badger 19 May 2008 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7883041)
Yup I downloaded the Haze demo last week.

I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Graphically it's lacking compared to CoD4. I'm not convinced about the nectar angle either.

I need to see some reviews of the full game.

I played it and it was ok

If it is indicative of the final game (which one has to assume it is!) then I won't be buying it. Yet another game that doesn't live up to the hype! :Whatever_

J4CKO 19 May 2008 09:44 PM

Just tried the Grid demo, the drift was fun but the Mustang race was intense, I love the fact that everything is grimy, dusty and smoky, miles away from the over clean look a lot of racing games have, the Mustang race through San Francisco really conveys a sense of speed and violence from the surface and jumps. The handling could be considered a bit simplistic, a bit arcadey but its not finished (remember the original Forza demo compared to the final product) and its good fun, really meaty scruff of the neck stuff.

I think its going to be a must have.

PeteBrant 19 May 2008 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sleazy Badger (Post 7883567)
I played it and it was ok

If it is indicative of the final game (which one has to assume it is!) then I won't be buying it. Yet another game that doesn't live up to the hype! :Whatever_

It sort of has the feel and look of a last gen game that has be so hampered by delays, they thought, **** it, we just need to relase this thing. Of course the full game might be the best thing ever - It wouldn't be the first demo that has been completely at odds with the final game (The original forza springs to mind) - However, when this is the case, there is usually more of a delay between the demo and game being released, than the 3 weeks as is the case here.

messiah 20 May 2008 09:39 AM

I'm glad Haze has finished development - means it's all systems go on TimeSplitters 4 now :D

monkey's ahoy!