ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   6 speed conversion front stub shafts (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/687018-6-speed-conversion-front-stub-shafts.html)

sturu 11 May 2008 11:38 AM

6 speed conversion front stub shafts

can i use the stub shafts from my my95 box on an sti9 six speed?

GC8Andy 11 May 2008 12:01 PM

Not very easily! 5 speed shafts held in with internal circlips,6 speed with snap rings. I think stub shafts from an auto box should fit(you will need an auto prop also)

sturu 11 May 2008 12:12 PM

i have everything else but thought the stub shafts were on snaps on the 95 so i need to dis mantle the box to get the shaft out or can you access the circlips from the out side

sturu 11 May 2008 06:16 PM

any one know how much the coorect stub axle components are?

SleeperSy 11 May 2008 08:46 PM

I fitted a 6 sp to my classic - IIRC - you can use Auto Stump shafts from a classic or a legacy or newage 2003 complete driveshafts - HDC Subaru or API David will be able to help you. I went for 2003 shafts, as they are stronger, cant recall what they cost.

Sy

sturu 12 May 2008 02:15 AM

so the complete front shafts are ok in length? no need to change front hubs or anything?

Jay m A 13 May 2008 09:36 AM

Its easier to buy auto stubs at £40 a pair. You will also need the shaft seals from an earlier 6 speed (basically the 6 speeds that have stub shafts - MY04 and earlier I think), beware they look the same but are handed.

APIDavid 13 May 2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jay m A (Post 7869784)
Its easier to buy auto stubs at £40 a pair. You will also need the shaft seals from an earlier 6 speed (basically the 6 speeds that have stub shafts - MY04 and earlier I think), beware they look the same but are handed.

Never heard that before, how are they handed???

David APi

Jay m A 13 May 2008 01:37 PM

They have different part Nos, and are stated left side and right on the packaging IIRC, I got mine over the counter at a dealers and was surprised to be informed that myself.

To answer the question David, I have no idea of the difference between the 2, I can only assume the design somehow gives a better seal against a certain direction of rotation?

stockcar 13 May 2008 03:09 PM

yep the seals definately handed, have been for years...............

alyn

APIDavid 13 May 2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 7870437)
yep the seals definately handed, have been for years...............

alyn

OK!! Gottit now Alyn, Seals are handed - but drive shafts aren't. Agreed.

However, It really isn't that important that the seals are handed, as we have used either, in either side, when times must and stock is short.

AND IN ANY CASE; [ before you all jump on me ] the rear axle seals aren't handed, neither are wheel bearing seals. Why should it be necessary for the front drive shaft seals to be handed??

David APi

ticky 13 May 2008 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jay m A (Post 7869784)

Do you have the part numbers for the stub axles & seals please?

Thanks Ticky

Jay m A 13 May 2008 10:50 PM

Sorry, I don't - packaging and receipt long gone. If you order stubs and seals for a MY03 UK 6 speed you'll get the right ones.