ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   The Grid Demo on xbl (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/686595-the-grid-demo-on-xbl.html)

bob269 08 May 2008 08:37 PM

The Grid Demo on xbl

Anybody tried the Grid demo on xbox live yet?

Looks like it could be fun, kinda pgr meets burnout.

chrisowe 09 May 2008 12:01 AM

I had a quick play of it, good graphics. I was just going to say that it was like Burnout Paradise crossed with maybe Forza.

messiah 09 May 2008 09:37 AM

I tried it, they've been making a big song and dance about the AI drivers but they're still just as stupid as ever - and add in all that damage rubbish from Forza 2 I was left a bit disappointed to be honest.

bob269 09 May 2008 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7862391)
I tried it, they've been making a big song and dance about the AI drivers but they're still just as stupid as ever - and add in all that damage rubbish from Forza 2 I was left a bit disappointed to be honest.

Depends how it's being marketed? Is it a serious racer, or smashemup fun, i've not read any reviews so dunno.

PeteBrant 09 May 2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7862421)
Depends how it's being marketed? Is it a serious racer, or smashemup fun, i've not read any reviews so dunno.

Do you need to be told what a game is supposed to be before you can decide whether you enjoy it? ;)

Doesn't matter whether they market it as a cheese making simulator, does it?

You play the demo, and you either like it or you don't.

bob269 09 May 2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7862456)
Do you need to be told what a game is supposed to be before you can decide whether you enjoy it? ;)

Doesn't matter whether they market it as a cheese making simulator, does it?

You play the demo, and you either like it or you don't.

Not at all, as my initial post i enjoyed the demo (altho i did say looks like, meaning i liked what i played and the full game could be fun) , i was just asking on what Messiah was expecting it to be compared to what it actually was ;)

messiah 09 May 2008 10:28 AM

I think ist supposed to be a serious racer but with comedy handling. It seemed to run very well even with 20 cars on track. The similarities to Dirt are a bit in your face, not suprising when it uses the same game engine. The AI cars just want to knock you off the track and wreck your car while they're at it. The bumper cam is a bit low which is what ruined PGR4 for me (just my prefernce though) and the braking marker boards are barely visible whcih doesnt help - I just found it all a bit frustrating to play.

I'll still probably get it as I'm a sucker for racing games ;)

If anyone's not played dirt, its worth a go, the rallying is pretty enjoyable but the AI of the other cars is ruthless.

Obviously it's Codemaster's replacement for the Colin McRae games as the license for that is as dead as he is...

HankScorpio 09 May 2008 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7862505)
Obviously it's Codemaster's replacement for the Colin McRae games as the license for that is as dead as he is...

Nope, full title for Dirt is:
Colin McRae Dirt

Codemasters

Neanderthal 09 May 2008 07:05 PM

Code Masters and racing games just don't go.
They make all these noises about their upcoming games have this and that, release a FMV video or two, then the game comes out and it's the same old cr@p.
The last decent racing game they did was TOCA 2.

StickyMicky 10 May 2008 05:34 PM

quite enjoyed this demo to be honest, handling is no simulation but still seamed fun enough, the drifting part seamed nice and easy to control, think i will pick a copy up!

kernel 10 May 2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 7863577)
Code Masters and racing games just don't go.

Quite :( And did you see they've picked up the F1 license!

rik1471 11 May 2008 08:05 PM

God looking game but it feels like I'm pushing weightless matchbox cars round a table. The handling and feedback/weight of the car is non-existent.

Iain Young 11 May 2008 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by kernel (Post 7865082)
Quite :( And did you see they've picked up the F1 license!

Can't do a worse job of it than Sony though.

Bring back Geoff Crammond that's what I say... :notworthy

Funkii Munkii 12 May 2008 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7862505)

Unlikely, more a replacement for Race Driver

messiah 12 May 2008 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 7863367)
Nope, full title for Dirt is:
Colin McRae Dirt

Codemasters

Alright pedant, CM Dirt is quite old now - June 07, and McRae carked it in September - still think there'll be Colin McRae games still coming out?

And in the US it was just "Dirt" ;)

Neanderthal 12 May 2008 01:26 PM

Have to admit, it looks farking amazing, but the cars handle less realistically than GTA IV's!!!!

abbott 12 May 2008 09:00 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! i must be the only one who is proper in love with this game (or should i say demo) was online on it all night last night ...

if anyone fancies a bash feel free to add me ........

bumfighter abz :thumb:

Geezer 12 May 2008 10:16 PM

I downloaded it for my PS3, and I would buy it for the drifting alone!

The other racing was ok, but I luuuuurved the drifting.

Must try some online now :thumb:

Geezer

Ghetto Dude3 13 May 2008 10:11 AM

yup i liked the drifting as well :)

birthday on thursday and i have asked for a game voucher just for this game when its released

abbott 13 May 2008 08:25 PM

im gonna trade in grand theft 5hitto in against it ..

Geezer 14 May 2008 10:20 AM

Tried the online, seems good (apart from twats trying to take you out on the first corner).

The damage seems quite realistic, you really do have to try and avoid the others and the barriers!

Is the handling realisitic? Well I dunno, but it's fun and miles better than Dirt.:thumb:

On the demo, winning the Touring Cars and American Muscle was easy, took me a few goes to get the hang of the drifting though. Haven't managed to get drifting King though, anyone know how much you need to get that? I managed 1.1 million points on one run, thought that would be enough :wonder:

Geezer

DazW 15 May 2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 7867427)
still think there'll be Colin McRae games still coming out?

Yep, Dirt 2's official European release title will be Colin McRae: Dirt 2 ... it'll include a Mcrae Memorial Race too ;)

Geezer 15 May 2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DazW (Post 7874343)
Yep, Dirt 2's official European release title will be Colin McRae: Dirt 2 ... it'll include a Mcrae Memorial Race too ;)

Does that involve flying a helicopter home without crashing it? :Suspiciou

*waits for inevitable flaming*

Geezer

rik1471 15 May 2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 7874393)
Does that involve flying a helicopter home without crashing it? :Suspiciou

*waits for inevitable flaming*

Geezer

That joke's not gonna sit well round here.

I vote https://www.scoobynet.com/images/rating/thumbdown.gif

cfc2 16 May 2008 08:40 AM

online is great apart from the spoiler idiots who try to take you out while stationary, great first corner pile ups tho!!!!

Geezer 16 May 2008 08:46 AM

Does the vote to kick actually do anything in the demo? I notice some people who were habitual crashers got lots of kick votes in the lobby, but nothing seemed to happen to them.

Geezer

Funkii Munkii 16 May 2008 06:43 PM

Finally had a go on the demo, liking it a lot, good accidents and damage and the handling isn't that bad, I can see GT5 p/l going on e-bay very soon....

rik1471 16 May 2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 7877774)
Finally had a go on the demo, liking it a lot, good accidents and damage and the handling isn't that bad, I can see GT5 p/l going on e-bay very soon....

Why? There's room for more than one racing game in your life, surely?

Funkii Munkii 16 May 2008 09:09 PM

Maybe i'm bored of the whole GT thing, I don't find it calling me after only playing it a few times, whereas Grid and Burnout Paradise do call me back for more, I know BP is just a crashem and smashem, but this is where the next gen machines come into their own with the damage accidents etc, GT5 looks great but needs the accidents, it's a bit driving miss Daisy for me at the moment, believe me I wish it wasn't the case :)

PeteBrant 17 May 2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 7878068)
Maybe i'm bored of the whole GT thing, I don't find it calling me after only playing it a few times, whereas Grid and Burnout Paradise do call me back for more, I know BP is just a crashem and smashem, but this is where the next gen machines come into their own with the damage accidents etc, GT5 looks great but needs the accidents, it's a bit driving miss Daisy for me at the moment, believe me I wish it wasn't the case :)

Method for falling in love with GT again

(i)Get a DFP
(ii)Go to gtplanet and download a save with the F1 unlocked
(iii)Start up GT5 prologue
(iv)Choose either time trial, race or online race
(v)Pick the Ferrari F1 2007
(vi)Smile.