ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Burma (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/685908-burma.html)

David Lock 05 May 2008 05:51 PM

Burma

Being a Bank Holiday I have only been half awake today. Early this morning I heard that a storm had hit Burma with a death toll of around 200. Didn't think much about it tbh.

Just now I heard that this cyclone had killed at least 10,000 :o

It reminded me so much of those horrors where death rises rapidly from a few into tens of thousands. So very bad already and let's hope it doesn't get worse. dl

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Burmese storm toll 'tops 10,000'

Scoobychick 05 May 2008 05:54 PM

That's gone up from 4000 when I looked earlier today, 10,000 is a horrendous number, you can't even begin to imagine how awful it is :(

ScoobyDriverWannabe 05 May 2008 06:00 PM

:(

Maz 05 May 2008 10:16 PM

An absolutely awful catastrophe.:(

ScoTTyB 05 May 2008 10:20 PM

check out the facts on the page:

Bhola cyclone, 1970 - at least 300,000 dead

Petem95 05 May 2008 10:28 PM

I was looking at this earlier, and it's surprising how when it was on the BBC news site it was constantly well down near the bottom in the 10 'most read' list, despite being the main headline.

If there'd been a similar event in a Western country like the US and 10 people had died it would generate a lot more immediate interest, probably as we can relate to the people more.

10,000+ die in Burma and it seems a lot of people don't really care...

ScoTTyB 05 May 2008 10:31 PM

Burma doesn't exist in peoples minds. You know anyone who's even been there??

me neither.

Luan Pra bang 05 May 2008 10:46 PM

I've been there.

For one day.

They are not great fans of tourists

unclebuck 05 May 2008 10:50 PM

How many of our tax dollars will Gordon Brown pledge do you recken?

Suresh 05 May 2008 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck (Post 7854523)

I reckon he'll plump for pounds to be honest :p

The Dutch have given a million Euros to the UN and not directly to the junta there.

ScoobyWon't 06 May 2008 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB (Post 7854455)

me neither.

Where is Burma?

Janspeed 06 May 2008 01:18 AM

Frankly could not be arsed about that place, sorry if it sounds cold, but it is what I feel.

Scoobychick 06 May 2008 08:14 AM

Politics aside how anyone can not feel at least some degree of sadness for the plight of their fellow human beings is beyond me, regardless of where they live. They're normal people with families and friends, homes and jobs just like you and me, they didn't choose to be born there like you didn't choose to be born here, it's just the luck of the draw. Consider yourselves lucky to be living here where by and large devastating acts of nature don't affect us.

Have we become so selfish that we can look at the pictures from Burma and not care? :(

David Lock 06 May 2008 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7854825)
Frankly could not be arsed about that place, sorry if it sounds cold, but it is what I feel.

Yeah - what the hell :lol1:

They're just human beings. Sort of kids and things dying horribly. Thousands of them. But don't you worry pal......... Just go through life with that attitude and you'll be fine :Suspiciou

PeteBrant 06 May 2008 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by unclebuck (Post 7854523)

As much as we can give, hopefully.

davegtt 06 May 2008 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 7854815)
Where is Burma?

Indonesia area IIRC. (Wron)

Edit, next door to Thailand and China

Leslie 06 May 2008 11:42 AM

I think they are talking about 15K now.

I don't pay tax in dollars myself. We certainly must give them as much aid as we can

Les

Janspeed 06 May 2008 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7855005)
Yeah - what the hell :lol1:

They're just human beings. Sort of kids and things dying horribly. Thousands of them. But don't you worry pal......... Just go through life with that attitude and you'll be fine :Suspiciou

After the Tsunami not much was done to be honest by most of the world, mostly a lot of propaganda, and that was a whole area of the planet.

They (Burma) did not "want help", they continue to allow that pathetic idiot to rule their country they beat and kill pacifists like the those monks......well if you want to talk about Karma, well it just dropped by and left a message!

It is how the cookie crumbles................

Janspeed 06 May 2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 7854964)
Politics aside how anyone can not feel at least some degree of sadness for the plight of their fellow human beings is beyond me, regardless of where they live. They're normal people with families and friends, homes and jobs just like you and me, they didn't choose to be born there like you didn't choose to be born here, it's just the luck of the draw. Consider yourselves lucky to be living here where by and large devastating acts of nature don't affect us.

Have we become so selfish that we can look at the pictures from Burma and not care? :(

Well sometimes it is just like that! :(

PeteBrant 06 May 2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7855691)
They (Burma) did not "want help", they continue to allow that pathetic idiot to rule their country they beat and kill pacifists like the those monks......well if you want to talk about Karma, well it just dropped by and left a message!

Quite possibly one of the most horrible posts I have seen on here.

Yeah it's just the way life is. I mean get yourself oppressed by a military junta, then you are almost asking to get wiped out by a cyclone.

Or perhaps not......

vindaloo 06 May 2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7855691)
After the Tsunami not much was done to be honest by most of the world, mostly a lot of propaganda, and that was a whole area of the planet.

'ang on a mo'. The average bloke in the street in Burma/Mayanmar can do fsck all about who rules his country. It's not as if they're open minded about criticism, it it?

I feel confident that the generals and all their little followers will have been far from danger, eating a hearty meal and toasting their longevity. :(

J.

Janspeed 06 May 2008 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 7855718)
'ang on a mo'. The average bloke in the street in Burma/Mayanmar can do fsck all about who rules his country. It's not as if they're open minded about criticism, it it?

I feel confident that the generals and all their little followers will have been far from danger, eating a hearty meal and toasting their longevity. :(

J.

Of course they are! In fact the monks protesting was a good time to have a revolution, the people had the option!

PeteBrant 06 May 2008 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7855732)
Of course they are! In fact the monks protesting was a good time to have a revolution, the people had the option!

What - Revolt and get shot, or don't and live under opression.

Brilliant. What a fantastic choice. I'm sure we all wish we had such options.

Also, I'm still not getting the correlation between deciding not to risk your life and revolting, and it being karma that you get killed by a cyclone.

Geezer 06 May 2008 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7855732)

That is so easy to say from your safe home in the west isn't it? :nono:

Not so easy when the threat of real violence from the very people who are supposed to rule and protect you hangs over any dissidence whatsoever!

Revolution is an easy word to bandy about, not so easy to do.

Just hope people aren't so cavalier if you need any help.

Geezer

couldntresistlol 06 May 2008 02:30 PM

Reports from Burma following the recent cyclone say the stench of bodies is unbearable. They added that it will get worse now people have started dying.

Couldnt resist posting this, even had to go to the trouble of masking my IP address and making another user name. Worth it!

David Lock 06 May 2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by couldntresistlol (Post 7855792)

Couldnt resist posting this..........,

Well you should have done because it's pathetic and childish. Plus some 12 year old comes up with this every time peeps die in a distaster in a third world country.

I'll let some one else press the buttons........ Grow up ffs.

Sonic' 06 May 2008 04:50 PM

Brown has pledged aid to Burma

Butkus 06 May 2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB (Post 7854455)

me neither.

Rambo.

Suresh 06 May 2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7855069)
As much as we can give, hopefully.

Instead of kindly volunteering everyone else's money why not just send your own and make sure it's a lot, okay? You can even report back on the thread once you've done it. :thumb:

Martin2005 06 May 2008 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 7854825)

Well you were 'arsed' enough to post on this thread

Strange:wonder: