ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   keeping valubles safe at home, ie in a safe (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/685826-keeping-valubles-safe-at-home-ie-in-a-safe.html)

apples24 05 May 2008 10:02 AM

keeping valubles safe at home, ie in a safe

ok well need to up the security, looking about at safes, i see you can get the floorboard ones but a little paranoind if someone broke in and found it they could just use a crowbar and leaver it off the floor?

so other ones are small square safes with holes for fixing to walls etc etc

whats the best way to attatch one of these? got to be good as otherwise the burglur will just nick the safe instead lol

i thought about something outside maybe cemented in but just dont know what to do

doesnt have to be massive just for cash and passports etc

theres a bloke selling the one below for 50 quid, its straight out of rbs bank and has a time lapse thing once key has been turned and its small gotta be worth it?
https://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/ee/6f/db79_1.JPG

any advice greatly appreciated

Snazy 05 May 2008 11:04 AM

If its only small "replaceable" items, personally I would be using something far less technical.
Hollow bottomed drawers etc

apples24 05 May 2008 01:00 PM

cant say too much for obv reasons but it is cash too

richiewong 05 May 2008 01:06 PM

I'd go to a locksmith or a local safe company for the best advice.

Had one fitted years ago and its bolted in, key and combo lock.
The thing is smallish but weighs something like 150kgs

ScoobyWon't 05 May 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by apples24 (Post 7853378)
cant say too much for obv reasons but it is cash too

How about using a bank account to keep the cash in? ;)

apples24 05 May 2008 01:30 PM

i do but theres allways cash needed outside bank too, pain int he ass having to dart to bank to withdraw, even worse when have to give then 48 hrs notice to withdraw my own cash

StickyMicky 05 May 2008 06:45 PM

i have 2, one at work and one at home, and they are hidden in the most bizzare places you could imagine, simply bolted to the surrounding areas.......

Nat 05 May 2008 06:52 PM

My mate had one. he was out and a couple of guys busted in,put a gun to his girlfriends face and demanded to know where the safe was. Hhhmmmm.

JimmyBFC 05 May 2008 06:55 PM

I have a key safe that needs a code to get the keys out, its wall mounted with no fixings present, plus its hidden away, there about £16 from a locksmith, also have a safe bolted down in the loft aswell, just put things in we hardly ever need, passports etc, important docs.

How often are you going to access it, IMHO well worth it, esp as these days they actyually break into the house first to nick your car keys.....:Whatever_

StickyMicky 05 May 2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 7853790)
My mate had one. he was out and a couple of guys busted in,put a gun to his girlfriends face and demanded to know where the safe was. Hhhmmmm.

wonder how they knew he had a safe! ;)

KiwiGTI 05 May 2008 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by apples24 (Post 7853419)
i do but theres allways cash needed outside bank too, pain int he ass having to dart to bank to withdraw, even worse when have to give then 48 hrs notice to withdraw my own cash

Get a new bank.

What sort of bank needs 48hrs notice.

KiwiGTI 05 May 2008 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7853771)
i have 2, one at work and one at home, and they are hidden in the most bizzare places you could imagine, simply bolted to the surrounding areas.......

You mean the sort of bizarre places that only a professional burglar would know? ;)

Sometimes I've hidden cash in my house, if I've drawn out some for a car purchase or holiday etc, but I'm always paranoid that burglars know all the hiding spots.

JimmyBFC 05 May 2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 7853800)
Get a new bank.

What sort of bank needs 48hrs notice.

Because it depends what kind of account the money is held in

StickyMicky 05 May 2008 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 7853802)
You mean the sort of bizarre places that only a professional burglar would know? ;)

i doubt it :lol1: i have a warped sense of "where things go" :lol1:

Nat 05 May 2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7853798)
wonder how they knew he had a safe! ;)

He's not the sort of guy who can keep money in a bank ;)

Hoppy 05 May 2008 08:06 PM

I bought a safe because it was cheap (£30) but it is not bolted down, left open, and contains nothing. Complete waste of money :rolleyes:

We have some valuables but prefer to keep them hidden away in various different places. Everything insured though, with photographs and valuations. Anybody that keeps significant sums of cash in the the house, it's probably common knowlwedge if you use it to pay employees etc and just asking for crims to rip your house apart until they find it.

Put valuables in a remote and safe place (bank?). Safes are a useless sense of security IMHO unless they are very secure and very well hidden.

Richard.

ian_sadler 05 May 2008 08:32 PM

I bought a safe but mainly because it was "fireproof" i.e. for a few hours. Mainly to keep important papers in.

Maz 05 May 2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by apples24 (Post 7853419)

What's wrong with under the mattress? It was good enough for Ken Dodd.:D

Jamescsti 05 May 2008 09:47 PM

I have a safe bought from B & Q, it's a laptop safe i bolted to the wall when i moved in.
Granted it's not perfect, just might slow someone down if they broke in the house while i'm out with the alarm going off as well, at the end of the day if someone is that determined they will do it anyway, but it stops the casual burgler/ drug addict getting their hands on my laptop, and for less than 50quid.

DocJock 06 May 2008 07:48 AM

Buy a cheapo one and fix it somewhere obvious, filled with unimportant stuff and a few quid in cash for the benefit of any undesirables.

Keep your valuables in the 'proper' hidden one.