ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Good bye my WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/685337-good-bye-my-wrx.html)

greenonedave 02 May 2008 04:24 PM

Good bye my WRX

I have today swopped my WRX in for a lesser car !
I have had the WRX since July 2003 its covered 83000 miles, its has a full service history and I can honestly say its the best car I have ever owned, it has been fantastic to drive, totally reliable , sensable in town and silly bugger when the mood takes you. I loved it to bits !
I could handle 27mpg, I didnt mind the service and running cost, the final nail in the coffin was the £410 road tax next year
So I can honestly say Mr Brown and all of you money stealing, eco nutters,that you will not keep taking my hard earned cash and conning me by blaming the climate change.
I am not bitter just another growing in number dissatisfied voter.
I will have a job next year year, will you ?:razz:

flashgordon666 02 May 2008 05:13 PM

was it new because i think you only get charged tht if the cars 2008+

Paul3446 02 May 2008 05:25 PM

What have you bought, a classic Impreza? :wonder:

a_fisher 02 May 2008 05:55 PM

Thats why we have taxes taken from all over the place and for everything. If they took it off you in one chunk no one would stand for it.

I wonder if we worked it out how much of our wages each month goes to the government (i.e. on earnings, fuel, food etc etc)

I wouldn't want to know

sti.dean 02 May 2008 06:03 PM

probaly about 75%! the robbing c###s

Blueblaster 02 May 2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by a_fisher (Post 7848569)
Thats why we have taxes taken from all over the place and for everything. If they took it off you in one chunk no one would stand for it.

I wonder if we worked it out how much of our wages each month goes to the government (i.e. on earnings, fuel, food etc etc)

I wouldn't want to know

Well I can tell you:D . Tax Freedom Day is the first day in the year that the money you earn belongs to you and not to the government. This year it falls on June 2nd or, if you include interest on Government borrowing (i.e. the money the government is spending but doesn't have because there would be nationwide riots if they increased taxes enough to cover it), it is June 14th. That means for the average person all the work they have done this year and will continue to do for the next 7 weeks has been so they can give the money they have earnt to the government. And before you ask, yes, this day has fallen later in the year after just about every Labour Party budget.

Lemster 03 May 2008 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster (Post 7848671)
Well I can tell you:D . Tax Freedom Day is the first day in the year that the money you earn belongs to you and not to the government. This year it falls on June 2nd or, if you include interest on Government borrowing (i.e. the money the government is spending but doesn't have because there would be nationwide riots if they increased taxes enough to cover it), it is June 14th. That means for the average person all the work they have done this year and will continue to do for the next 7 weeks has been so they can give the money they have earnt to the government. And before you ask, yes, this day has fallen later in the year after just about every Labour Party budget.

What is your source? That is outstanding, that more than 50% of what I earn goes straight into the governments treasure chest! I won't start a debate on how wisely it is spent (another thread maybe) but that has just put me on a big downer for the weekend!!!

Norman Dog 03 May 2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by greenonedave (Post 7848399)
the final nail in the coffin was the £410 road tax next year

The WRX (219G/KM co2) is at present in Band F (£210 PA)

This goes up to £310 next year.

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | 629 | 629 | New car tax rates for 2009

This totally pisses me off :mad: but luckily enough I've just appealed against my council tax banding and won.

Saved £245 per year, that will pay for my extra road tax :smug:

a_fisher 03 May 2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster (Post 7848671)

:( Interesting, but at the same time sh1te to know.
But its not quite 50%... yet

http://www.adamsmith.org/images/stor...y_calendar.jpg

Hol 03 May 2008 06:08 PM

Your tax maybe £410 next year, but you'll probably still be paying £300 on something like a Pug diesel.

Id rather pay the 'extra' £100.

Blueblaster 03 May 2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hol (Post 7850461)
Your tax maybe £410 next year, but you'll probably still be paying £300 on something like a Pug diesel.

Id rather pay the 'extra' £100.

You might be surprised...a modern diesel should have low enough emissions for a substantial saving. My Civic is going to cost £120 under the new regs which equates to an £870 saving over three years. It makes good financial sense to sit down and look carefully at the numbers because you can do an awful lot with the money saved by switching to diesel.

flashgordon666 03 May 2008 07:26 PM

buy one of these, no tax! cos its a classic.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ng/MADMAX1.jpg

greenonedave 04 May 2008 10:41 AM

It was really the principal that has caused me to change,
My road tax will be £415 this year going to £430 nextyear ( 242 co2group)
my RAC tracker has gone up to £130 and I use 630 gallons of fuel a year i.e. 17000 miles per year. As I am quite mature my insurance is £545 p.a.
By changing to a 45 mpg car,
my road tax will be £145 this year, £150 next year then £155 the year after.
dont have to pay for a tracker,I am getting a refund from my insurance company, and at 45mpg I will have to buy around 377 gallons of fuel.
over the next three years I will save;
£825 in road tax
£390 in non tracker cost.
based on the assumption that fuel is min of £5.00 gallon I will save 3years at 273 gallons a year at least £4095
I dont want to give the tax man £5320 over the next 3 years

dunx 04 May 2008 08:55 PM

And you will be grumpy and miserable too !

LOL

DunxC

P.S. I only do 6.5K a year, so all your maths show that it's miles that hurt !

Stephen Pope 04 May 2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by greenonedave (Post 7851510)
It was really the principal that has caused me to change,
My road tax will be £415 this year going to £430 nextyear ( 242 co2group)
my RAC tracker has gone up to £130 and I use 630 gallons of fuel a year i.e. 17000 miles per year. As I am quite mature my insurance is £545 p.a.
By changing to a 45 mpg car,
my road tax will be £145 this year, £150 next year then £155 the year after.
dont have to pay for a tracker,I am getting a refund from my insurance company, and at 45mpg I will have to buy around 377 gallons of fuel.
over the next three years I will save;
£825 in road tax
£390 in non tracker cost.
based on the assumption that fuel is min of £5.00 gallon I will save 3years at 273 gallons a year at least £4095
I dont want to give the tax man £5320 over the next 3 years

Those who moan about costs should sell up!!

a_fisher 05 May 2008 10:37 AM

Agreed, whats the saying...

Work to live, not live to work

?? but at the same time, if the cost outweighs the fun factor - chop it in

greenonedave 05 May 2008 03:50 PM

But I can say been there, done it , loved it,
who else has done 82000 miles in their scooby ?