ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   I just fell off my seat! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/68455-i-just-fell-off-my-seat.html)

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 January 2002 12:54 PM

Wifes car (Vauxhall Corsa)

When you fill it right up with petrol it leaks out the bottom :(

Everything looks connected and it stops once it gets to just under full tank..

I just rang Vauxhall... a new tank is £183... no too bad I thought.. okay incase I don't feel like crawling around under a car how much is fitting I ask.... this is when I fell off my seat!!

£1500.... jez... yeah okay you have to drain it and remove the fuel pump assembly and the handbrake cables and the exhaust to get it off but why so much? even 8hours at what £40 is not that much..

Looks like I am going to get dirty this weekend... unfortunatly only under the car! :( :(

devils_ad69 29 January 2002 12:59 PM

Cowboys!

Ask them to put it in writing and then write to Trading Standards.

BarryK 29 January 2002 01:03 PM

Far cheaper, not to fill it up, no?

OK maybe visit garage more often, but unless this is a rust problem (how old is the car?) it is going to be a clip/rubber bush worked loose or perished. Two hundred quid to cure that looks expensive.

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 January 2002 01:05 PM

I just rang a different dealer, they want £289 including the tank :) I think the muppet (Sorry fello muppets) at the first one make a huge mistake.. :)

That is nearly cheap enough to consider not gettting my hands dirty... :)

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 January 2002 01:08 PM

It is my wifes car and she drive around with out 1year old in it so I don't like the risk of someone throwing cigs (out of a moving car, ah Jason UK :)). It pours out when full and smells of fumes once tank gone down a bit.

It could just be a clip or a perished pipe, I cannot find anything like that wrong though.. so just wanted worst case.. until I or they drop the tank it is difficult to tell.

Richard Askew 29 January 2002 01:10 PM

....get a rallycar bag tank in the boot...safer and fitted it wont be that much...

Dave T-S 29 January 2002 01:11 PM

Shouldn't be rusted, as it has almost certainly got a plastic tank:)

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 January 2002 01:15 PM

it is a 95 corsa and it is a metal tank... could be rusted... looks solid underneath and no obvious damage.. wonder if it was pushed up and therefore rubbing on underside of body work whether it would rub a hole eventually... seems strange though.

I think a rally tank would fill the boot... where would we put the push chair? :)

I think I shall put it into my local non-vauxhall garage and get them to look for the leak.. as changing a tank when the car is on axel stands is not going to be fun.

BarryK 29 January 2002 01:19 PM

Ha ha tell me about changing petrol tanks.

Me and mymate replaced the tank on my MGbGT years ago. When we couldn't get the nuts to undo (some were rusted solid), he got his angle grinder out and ground the tops off.

Aaaarrrrggghhhh, I was underneath holding the bloody thing with sparks flying everywhere. I think I said, steady on old chap, have a care. Or something.

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 January 2002 01:22 PM

Did anyone see Casualty a week Saturday ago..

Some guy working on an old Imp.. petrol leaked and he didn't notice (bit unrealistic) and he dropped the lead lamp and bang...

huummmmm makes the £289 seem really cheap.

juan 29 January 2002 01:33 PM

had the same problem on a Fiat Panda. The outlet pipe for fuel came out of the top of the tank and the seal was dodgy. Was about 2 years before we filled it completely full and found the fault!

Halfords of all people fixed it (at second time of asking). Didn't need new tank etc. Just a new seal