ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I hate environmentalists! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/683250-i-hate-environmentalists.html)

Paul3446 22 April 2008 11:35 AM

I hate environmentalists!

I couldn't believe this picture when I saw it, this sort of development is a disgrace. :(

The shocking picture that shows how a wind farm has disfigured one of Britain's loveliest landscapes | the Daily Mail

myblackwrx 22 April 2008 11:50 AM

'We don't agree that the wind turbines are an eyesore, they are a feat of engineering and do not spoil the landscape.'

Obviously not seen the picture then:cuckoo:

alcazar 22 April 2008 11:59 AM

Something odd there: the so-called before and after pics have an entirely different sky-line.........and I don't mean the turbines.

TBH, the turbine pic looks as if it's been taken through a long lens, foreshortening the distances, making the turbines look so much closer.

Alcazar

speedymonkey 22 April 2008 12:01 PM

I agree totally, they look bloody terrible :mad:
But at least its providing a renewable energy source so thats ok to some eh :rolleyes:

jimmyv 22 April 2008 12:03 PM

I actuall kind of like the aesthetics of wind farms (yes, possibly not if it was the first thing i saw everyday) but i have to agree there is a time and place, and that doesn't look the place.

Torquemada 22 April 2008 12:07 PM

That looks w@nk. They've totally messed up my birth place!!:mad:

Paul3446 22 April 2008 12:25 PM

When's this global warming sh*t gonna just end, I find it's affecting more and more things now. :mad:

jimmyv 22 April 2008 12:30 PM

It wont, they will just change things around as soon as people start realising its not the issue that its made it to be. Same as them changing it from global warming to climate change when people started complaining about no summers etc.

David Lock 22 April 2008 12:42 PM

I've only ever seen them in white. I wonder if they painted them the same colour as the hillside they would be less obtrusive?

And they take out so many seabirds :mad:

jimmyv 22 April 2008 12:56 PM

Iirc the colour was to with the protective coating as they are nearly always located in harsh environments, but interesting point im suprised no-one has tried it as it may solve a whole lot of problems and opposition.

*runs off and quickly checks all patents pending*
:lol1:

Paul3446 22 April 2008 03:13 PM

David will sue you, he thought of it first! :)

Wurzel 22 April 2008 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 7826254)
Something odd there: the so-called before and after pics have an entirely different sky-line.........and I don't mean the turbines.

TBH, the turbine pic looks as if it's been taken through a long lens, foreshortening the distances, making the turbines look so much closer.

Alcazar

exactly what I thought! where has the mountain gone in the first pic with turbines? also all the buildings in the foreground in the 2nd pic are missing in the 1st pic.

jimmyv 22 April 2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7826651)

who me? :Suspiciou , never said anything :D

Paul3446 22 April 2008 03:28 PM

It's just taken from a different angle, look at the church on the left to get your bearings, or the angle of the white building on top of the hill.

The mountain in the bottom picture would be off to the left in the top picture.

RB5_245 22 April 2008 04:06 PM

Looks like a photoshop effort, or those turbines are about 1km high each :lol1:

David Lock 22 April 2008 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7826651)

Just got back from my lawyers........ :)

Bit late as I stopped off to get a can of Hillside Green :D

d

(and a ladder)

jonc 22 April 2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 7826655)
exactly what I thought! where has the mountain gone in the first pic with turbines? also all the buildings in the foreground in the 2nd pic are missing in the 1st pic.

They must have all melted away, just like the polar ice caps!

Steve001 22 April 2008 06:38 PM

i have been thinking of the 'global warming' issue for a while now, does anyone know how many trees it would take to cancel out the co2 from say a scooby, i heard that trees love the stuff :)

Lets say for aruements sake that it would take 10 good sized trees......well why dont we as a country undertake a massive reforestation on all the land that is sitting idle? we used to have huge forests and so did a lot of other countries. personally i think most of the so called global warming is in part directly related to the loss of rain forests an other green areas.

steve (not a tree hugger BTW) :D

David Lock 22 April 2008 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 7827112)

......well why dont we as a country undertake a massive reforestation on all the land that is sitting idle?

Can't do that as all the spare land will be used to grow crops to produce biofuel :wonder:

Scoobychick 22 April 2008 07:00 PM

I quite like windfarms, we got up close and personal with one last summer, the turbines are HUGE when you get up close :eek: If you stand under the blades and look up you think that they're going to cut your head off :lol1:

This is me and a wind turbine in Wales, as you can see it's quite big:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...indturbine.jpg

Tam the bam 22 April 2008 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 7827161)
I quite like windfarms, we got up close and personal with one last summer, the turbines are HUGE when you get up close :eek: If you stand under the blades and look up you think that they're going to cut your head off :lol1:

This is me and a wind turbine in Wales, as you can see it's quite big:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...indturbine.jpg

Similar width to you though! ;) :D

*Runs away* :eek:

skoobidude 22 April 2008 07:56 PM

Once every one converts to wind energy then what? Won't the government find a way of taxing wind? We won't be able to fart without a tax disc branded onto our buttocks!

I'm all in for recycling and not landfilling. Can see sense in that but some of the other stuff like building houses out of straw in the woods and wearing trousers made of tree bark is barmy.

'mentalists. Short for Environmentalists!

Nick

AndyC_772 22 April 2008 07:58 PM

All we need is some pseudo-scientific 'evidence' that wind farms are bad for some endangered kind of worm... should be fun to watch them squirm anyhow :)

skoobidude 22 April 2008 08:07 PM

Wind farms are bad for wind as they unsettle it's flow..

Martin2005 22 April 2008 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7826308)
When's this global warming sh*t gonna just end, I find it's affecting more and more things now. :mad:

Probably just after the oil runs out, we need to develop sustainable energy supplies, regardless of GW.

I suggest burning the Daily Mail as a way of generating energy:lol1:

Tam the bam 22 April 2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7826308)

It'll never end while the muppets can use it as a way to gain revenue from you and I! However within time the sheep who believe that using a car to get from a to b is one of the only causes of gw see the light, I'm sure it will disappear just like all the other bullsh!t the muppets have thrown at us in the past, but I think they'll be struggling to find yet another doomsday fallacy which will net the kind of revenue that the climate change bollocks has! :mad:

jonc 22 April 2008 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 7827112)
i have been thinking of the 'global warming' issue for a while now, does anyone know how many trees it would take to cancel out the co2 from say a scooby, i heard that trees love the stuff :)

Lets say for aruements sake that it would take 10 good sized trees......well why dont we as a country undertake a massive reforestation on all the land that is sitting idle? we used to have huge forests and so did a lot of other countries. personally i think most of the so called global warming is in part directly related to the loss of rain forests an other green areas.

steve (not a tree hugger BTW) :D

Carbon offseting by planting trees doesn't work since when the tree dies, it just releases the "absorbed" carbon back into the environment. Besides how do you how much CO2 a tree is absorbing in its constantly changing environment?

jimmyv 22 April 2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7827069)
Just got back from my lawyers........ :)

Bit late as I stopped off to get a can of Hillside Green :D

d

(and a ladder)

Hah Classic, beat me too it *curses work* :lol1:

Steve001 22 April 2008 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 7827570)
Carbon offseting by planting trees doesn't work since when the tree dies, it just releases the "absorbed" carbon back into the environment. Besides how do you how much CO2 a tree is absorbing in its constantly changing environment?

i far as know (and thats not much ;)) trees convert co2 into oxagen(sp)

Tam the bam 22 April 2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 7827756)
i far as know (and thats not much ;)) trees convert co2 into oxagen(sp)

I thought that too! well till you cut the feckers down and burn them that is! :D

And it'd spelt Oxygen ;) only one letter wrong so :thumb: :D