ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Wots an Impreza Sport Like? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/68319-wots-an-impreza-sport-like.html)

matt.bowey 28 January 2002 09:26 PM

So wots an Impreza Sport like? A colleague of mine is thinking about buying an X plate, 3K miles from a dealer for £10.5K ish.

So what are they like, mpg, handling, performance, etc........

Cheers

Matt.

AHall_at_home 28 January 2002 09:47 PM

Cheaper insurance than a turbo :) - no turbo... :(

Seriously though
X reg might be a super sport (with turbo seats, high spoiler, better wheels). Definately an improved interior over the earlier cars.

I've got an older 97 Sport - but with all turbo mods (cept a turbo) - V.good car handles well

Performance is officially 0-60 in 10 secs, but feels much quicker
Fuel economy is officially 29mpg but I only get 25 - same a turbo(no matter how I drive - so why drive slow???)
If you want to know how fast they could go - you'd bounce off the rev limiter at 120mph 'cos it's got a closer ratio gearbox thn the turbo.

I can't give you the definative guide on handling cos I've got turbo suspension and 16' Speedlines, but it should be almost as good

get one ;)

SWRTWannabe 28 January 2002 09:49 PM

I have an MY99 Sport and I've been really pleased with it. Sure, it doesn't have the turbo bit it is still a two litre engine so it is pretty quick.

Comes recommended from me!!

Hos 28 January 2002 10:33 PM

My comment is exactly the same as SWRT's.

I have a MY99. great handling car and performance wise its the same as a 1.9 pug gti. Highly recommended by me.

kevin stanton 28 January 2002 11:01 PM

give john an email

jaclark@jac2000.freeserve.co.uk

he's got a sport with filter and exhaust, its bl00dy quick.

kevin
:)

InvisibleMan 28 January 2002 11:32 PM

Highly recommended :D Depending on your driving ability its just as good as the turbo. The handling is excellent & doesnt have a habit of rear ending it if you put the power on at the wrong time.

BaldyMan 29 January 2002 12:06 AM

Got a V reg silver SPORT :D

Best car i've ever had :)

On a bendy road the SPORT will give the TURBO a run for its money :)

It's just the long straights, where the turbo would ...... you know ......... gooooooooo :p

fiesta wonder woman 29 January 2002 12:09 AM

i would imagine its quite a nice car, but as for the performance and handling im not too sure. but i suppose im used to my fiesta.

regards

fww

Coogie 29 January 2002 07:43 AM

I had an Impreza Sport (X plate) for about 7 months, but it was never quite enough for me. Great car, but I always wanted more i.e a Turbo.

Changed it in the end about 6 months ago for a Golf GTi, but I wish I hadnt now 'cos I miss the Scoob.

I'm after another Impreza now, but it will be a Turbo this time - dont get me wrong, the Sports a super car in its own right, but it all depends what sort of person you are.

Dont fall into the same trap, if you can afford a Turbo, then drive both before you make a decision.

Nick.

**I want my Scooby back**

Dizzy 29 January 2002 08:19 AM

I've sat shotgun in SWRT's sport a few times, I own a UK Turbo and I was impressed by the sports performance (can't comment on the handling as for some reason he wouldn't let me drive it ;)) Not as fast (sorry for the obvious comment) but it was quicker than my old Mark2 GTi. Mind you it did need the SS BB ;)

whip 29 January 2002 09:42 AM

How similar is the engine in the sport to the Legacy 2.0GL? Only asking as I had one of those as a courtesy car last week and am trying to imagine what the sport is like.

Whip http://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac...dlil/eek13.gif

phm 29 January 2002 07:18 PM

It comes 100% recommended from me:) Mines a MY99 Sport with mods galore and it's very quick - I'll second the fact that it will keep with a Turbo on the twisty stuff but the turbo has obviously got the edge on acceleration and top end:(
Take a look at the previous thread **MODS FOR SPORTS** for owners comments...you won't be disappointed if you got one, even in standard form!!:D