ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bug eye WRX or Turbo 2000? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/682189-bug-eye-wrx-or-turbo-2000-a.html)

megabreath 17 April 2008 04:00 PM

Bug eye WRX or Turbo 2000?

I can't decide which to get, theres a lot of pros and cons for each.

The WRX is 500 cheaper to insure than the turbo2000 even though its a higher group - this means alot since im only 21. But on the other side the classic is cheaper to tax.

I prefer the looks of the classic but I still think the bug eye looks good and a set of decent after market headlights makes it look alot better, plus it looks more solid and has better interior.

Also I here from you guys that the WRX is heavier so the performance takes a hit, could someone tell me how big the difference is? This will be my first performance car so I think the WRX will be more than fast enough for me.

The last thing is servicing, am I right in thinking the WRX has 12 month intervals compared to the classics 6 months?

ta guys, I hope im not going to start a war between newage and classic owners:lol1:

GazTheHat 17 April 2008 04:09 PM

Have you tried A-Plan and Keith Michaels for insurance quotes, they should be the best.

Me, i couldn't live with the bug's front end. You could do a facelift on it to a blob eye. Yes, the newer, nicer interior and car of the bug would be better, but i'd still probably get a T2000.

You're right though, either one will be fast enough while you get some more experience.

How much you lOOkin to spend?

Paul3446 17 April 2008 04:17 PM

Not sure why a classic would be more to insure as it should be worth less? :wonder:

Don't forget the WRX will be £400 tax whereas the classic is £180.

Also the classic is far better looking! :D

megabreath 17 April 2008 04:18 PM

Around 6K, I know that can get a mint Turbo2000 for that but also the bugs are coming down in value so I could probably get a nice bug at that price.

TimWRX01 17 April 2008 04:19 PM

Bug WRX does have 12 month intervals. I had the same choice with my first one and went for the bug WRX due to the fact it was my daily driver and was very comfortable.

Had no problems with it and would recommend without hesitation.

Only driven a few classics and never for long enough to form an opinion on performance compared to the bug.

Aztec Performance Ltd 17 April 2008 04:23 PM

Take a test drive in both cars.

Bugs are heavy and slow as std (compared to classics)

Clarkie172 17 April 2008 09:35 PM

^ I found that when I was thinking of getting a bug. Stiil I would choose one over a classic. Change the headlights and modify the engine/exhaust/ecu and it will be a nice quick car!

s70rjw 17 April 2008 09:36 PM

The Bug feels more grown up..quieter, smoother and more relaxed. Still quick, but delivers its 218bhp differently. The chassis is 200% stiffer too. As previously suggested drive both and decide which you prefer

Bigstring 17 April 2008 10:08 PM

you've made y mind up, back to a clasic ............

AngloSaxon 17 April 2008 10:11 PM

A group 20 car more expensive to insure than a group 17 car?!? :wonder:

The insurance industry is even more fooked up than I thought :lol1:

dunx 18 April 2008 07:54 AM

If you want a nippy car for fun get the classic, if you know you are going to want more power, etc.... get the bug-eye. Stronger engine and gearbox, better bulid quality and probably lower miles (?)

HTH

DunxC

P.S. I went from a classic to a bug.

megabreath 18 April 2008 10:05 AM

At the moment im leaning towards the Bug, I do feel like having something a bit more modern after running around in a rattly Pug 306 for 2 years.

But i still love the shape of the classic.:brickwall

TimWRX01 18 April 2008 10:08 AM

You can make the bug look good if you modify it tastefully.

Have a look at the bugeye thread in Members Gallery, some great looking bugs there and mine isn't even in there!

EDIT : found it for you

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ourselves.html

subaruturbo_18 18 April 2008 10:14 AM

if you get a nice turbo 2000 with a clean interior there nice to live with. i used to have a pug 106 gti before and the interior was horrible on that and wanted something flasher inside.

i was looking at leons etc due to insurance but test drove an impreza turbo 2000 for a bit of a laugh to see what all the rave was about, then never went back. interior is nice, car is fast, looks good, sounds nice, and its not too expensive to run. infact its done such a good job its decided my next car wil be another impreza :D.

end of the day the classics are fun to drive so when you put your foot you wont care about the interior.

Norman Dog 18 April 2008 11:41 AM

Get the Bugeye and do a Morette headlight conversion, looks good :)

The Trooper 1815 18 April 2008 12:34 PM

Build quality = Bug
Fun/cheaper (relative) = Classic

I went from Classic to Bug to Bug to Legacy.

sarnyboy 18 April 2008 01:44 PM

if you get a bug thats pre 2002 you should avaid the comedy tax amount dude

GazTheHat 18 April 2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by megabreath (Post 7817154)
I do feel like having something a bit more modern after running around in a rattly Pug 306 for 2 years.

Don't think the rattles will disappear. :(

jonjokes12 18 April 2008 08:50 PM

buy my bugeye for 6k!!!
Subaru : WRX WITH STI AND PRODRIVE EXTRAS - TAX, MOT& F