ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Active Directory group policy to only allow 2 websites (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/681708-active-directory-group-policy-to-only-allow-2-websites.html)

mike1210 15 April 2008 01:36 PM

Active Directory group policy to only allow 2 websites

Hi All, bit stumped on this one. I am setting up lab machines in my uni that are only allowed to have access to 2 websites (external), the machines are locked down via group policy (no control panel, start menu, hidden drives etc), however im scratching my head on allowing only 2 webistes to work:wonder: . Machines are WinXP Pro SP2 with IE7, DC's are sever 2003 SP1

We do not use proxys in the Uni or any internet monitoring software hence why I need this to work via a group policy object, anyone know how to do this?:)

Mike

Sonic' 15 April 2008 01:49 PM

AFAIK you cannot do this via a group policy, can you not do it on the firewall via ACL's ?

mike1210 15 April 2008 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7810228)
AFAIK you cannot do this via a group policy, can you not do it on the firewall via ACL's ?

technically yes.....but I would have to jump through the 7,000,000,000,000 barriers that the networks team would no doubt impose:cry:

Sonic' 15 April 2008 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mike1210 (Post 7810265)
technically yes.....but I would have to jump through the 7,000,000,000,000 barriers that the networks team would no doubt impose:cry:

LOL I know what you mean, but could you not just give them a subnet or Vlan and say right this vlan can only access these websites :)

Not sure of any other way of doing it, without some form of proxy/firewall

HankScorpio 15 April 2008 02:52 PM

Use IE Content Manager to specify sites and then GPedit to lock down Content Manager.

Bodgit 15 April 2008 03:34 PM

try using a host file with only the 2 websites ip addresses.
then if you do not use dns you should be able to achieve the desired result

David_Wallis 16 April 2008 12:11 PM

you can do it using IEAK and a custom pac file.

havent tried below, its been a while so my syntax may not be 100%
Code:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    // URLS below go via a proxy or could be set direct depending on connection
    if (shExpMatch(url,"*.google.com/*"))                  {return "PROXY proxy1.mycompany.local:8080";}
    if (shExpMatch(url, "*.scoobynet.com/*"))              {return "PROXY proxy1.mycompany.local:8080";}

// Other requests go to localhost and thus fail
    return "PROXY 127.0.0.1:80; DIRECT";
  }

see Proxy Client Autoconfig File Format

phoenixgold 16 April 2008 08:27 PM

If you have dedicated AD server running the DNS, stop the DNS servers from having forwarders available. Then just create zones for the websites you want to permit. Only issue is that you can bypass if you know the IP address of the site.

Other option is to remove the default gateway if the machines will work in the same subnet. Just apply persistent routes for the sites allowed.

mike1210 17 April 2008 12:21 PM

many thanks all:)