ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Differences between Spec C RA & RA-R?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/681699-differences-between-spec-c-ra-and-ra-r.html)

Alexppp 15 April 2008 12:43 PM

Differences between Spec C RA & RA-R??

Good afternoon Chaps,

Would someone be so kind to explain be the differences between both models.

I'm thinking that the RA-R is the latest model but still can't find the spec differences.

Cheers Guys,

Alex:thumb:

Boyakasha 15 April 2008 12:51 PM

About £4k :D

Boyakasha 15 April 2008 12:53 PM

Seriously though the RA-R has 6 Pot Brakes, no spoiler, 18" Wheels, beefed up anti roll bars and hmmm not sure what else.

Alexppp 15 April 2008 12:56 PM

Thats right it's the STI 6 pots, 18" Wheels that. I thought both came with the little black spoilers. Other than that thats all I can think of.

Oh your right £4000 of course!

A

banny sti 15 April 2008 12:58 PM

The RA-R has the larger VF42 twin scroll turbo and produces 320ps from the factory.

Banny

Boyakasha 15 April 2008 12:58 PM

The little black spoiler is an option, weight saving and all ;)

Alexppp 15 April 2008 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boyakasha (Post 7810112)
The little black spoiler is an option, weight saving and all ;)

Cheers Banni,

Well we wouldn't want a FAT Scoob would we.

MrRA 15 April 2008 01:55 PM

RA-R has :

- fully blueprinted, hand built engine (balanced and matched internals)
- VF42 turbo
- 6 pot Brembo front calipers, larger crescent grooved discs all round
- GrpN spec STI turbo inlet pipe
- unique 18" STI alloys in white (unique being 53mm offset, 18 x 8.5)
- different rear spoiler
- lower front strut brace
- 22mm rear ARB

Both cars have the uprated STI suspension parts - adjustable dampers, rose jointed rear lateral arms, rose jointed trailing arms, STI back box. Type RA also has an uprated rear ARB, but is 21mm in diameter.

rickya 15 April 2008 02:01 PM

Halfway down the page

Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alexppp 15 April 2008 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 7810248)
RA-R has :

- fully blueprinted, hand built engine (balanced and matched internals)
- VF42 turbo
- 6 pot Brembo front calipers, larger crescent grooved discs all round
- GrpN spec STI turbo inlet pipe
- unique 18" STI alloys in white (unique being 53mm offset, 18 x 8.5)
- different rear spoiler
- lower front strut brace
- 22mm rear ARB

Both cars have the uprated STI suspension parts - adjustable dampers, rose jointed rear lateral arms, rose jointed trailing arms, STI back box. Type RA also has an uprated rear ARB, but is 21mm in diameter.

End of!

Cheers Sir:thumb:

Alex

GazTheHat 15 April 2008 04:24 PM

From the reviews the RA-R is more track focused.

My bank robbery loot would go on the RA.

Alexppp 15 April 2008 04:29 PM

I'm currently selling my body on street corners and my soul to the devil.

Only £27,994.01 to go....

GazTheHat 15 April 2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alexppp (Post 7810533)
I'm currently selling my body on street corners and my soul to the devil.

Only £27,994.01 to go....

You'll get £20 for a nasm, get wancking yourself into a blancmange. :)

MrRA 15 April 2008 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7810522)
From the reviews the RA-R is more track focused.

My bank robbery loot would go on the RA.

I would say they are more or less the same. Both are track focused cars. After all, it was the Type-RA that set the 'Ring record. My RA-R is arriving in Southampton on the 28th so I'm expecting to take delivery roughly 2 weeks later once it has been SVA'd etc. I'll be able to give you a direct comparison between an RA-R and an RA then. Immy at PCM is the only other person besides myself who I know will have owned both so he may also be able to shed some light on this subject.

rcwhite 15 April 2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 7811047)
I would say they are more or less the same. Both are track focused cars. After all, it was the Type-RA that set the 'Ring record. My RA-R is arriving in Southampton on the 28th so I'm expecting to take delivery roughly 2 weeks later once it has been SVA'd etc. I'll be able to give you a direct comparison between an RA-R and an RA then. Immy at PCM is the only other person besides myself who I know will have owned both so he may also be able to shed some light on this subject.

What MrRA said but personaly i think the one little thing thats actually lets these cars down is the sti suspension not really confidence inspiring on our bumpy b roads.

gussy 15 April 2008 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcwhite (Post 7811115)
What MrRA said but personaly i think the one little thing thats actually lets these cars down is the sti suspension not really confidence inspiring on our bumpy b roads.

I would have to disagree with you on that one RC I have mine turned down to the 3rd click for b roads and the twistys and the car is well planted on track click them up to full ....sti type ra adjustable :)

T5NYW 15 April 2008 11:59 PM

the RA-R I drove had JAP spec coilovers and was a complete a4rse to drive down bumpy roads, I just couldn't get any power down :( and yet the RA on Standard STi was comfortable in comparion , although I'd would have replaced it for the latest AST Type25 setup :D

Tony

gussy 16 April 2008 08:40 AM

Tony in a perfect world I would change my RA sti 4 way adjustables to AST but as usual it all comes down to costs and needs.

juggers 16 April 2008 12:55 PM

I have had both and i can assure you that the RA-R handles,stops and goes better compared to a standard RA.

The RA-R really is in a league (this is a car straight out the factory) of it's own and MrRa once you drive your's am 110% confident that you will agree.

Immy

rickya 16 April 2008 01:27 PM

From what I have read IMO it seems there is a lot more of a difference between the RA-R & the RA than there is between the the Spec C & RA.

gordyra r 17 April 2008 08:58 PM

ra r

having owned a ra r for 2 months now i can say its awesome yes on very bumpy roads its a bit bumpy but is awesome on the road cant wait to try it on a track this is my first jap spec and never driven a car like it

quite simply different league

gordon

gordyra r 17 April 2008 09:05 PM

ra r

defis are a option too aswell as rear spoiler
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...r/HPIM4328.jpg

T5NYW 17 April 2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by gussy (Post 7811984)
Tony in a perfect world I would change my RA sti 4 way adjustables to AST but as usual it all comes down to costs and needs.

The RA-R I tried had non standard RA-R suspension ;) If you dropped it 100ft onto it's wheels the suspension wouldn't have moved, a real teeth lossener :mad: IIRC the correct suspension was included when imported and put back on when sold ;)

Gordon you RA-R looks great :cool:

Tony

wrx bill 17 April 2008 10:01 PM

YouTube - RAR v Spec C v Evo v TypeR v NSX
this will show you a bit of difference nice launch to lol

juggers 17 April 2008 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 7816452)
The RA-R I tried had non standard RA-R suspension ;) If you dropped it 100ft onto it's wheels the suspension wouldn't have moved, a real teeth lossener :mad: IIRC the correct suspension was included when imported and put back on when sold ;)

Gordon you RA-R looks great :cool:

Tony

The car you drove is gordyra-r 's

Immy

GazTheHat 18 April 2008 05:09 PM

I'd love to see how these cars would get on with, say something like mine. Fairly modified in each area, but quite a bit more power.

Same driver, same track kinda head-to-head.

I know there's no comparison out of the box and i love the exclusitevity of these beasties, but how different are they "really".

juggers 18 April 2008 07:30 PM

Took my ra-r to donnington and there was another spec c there with mods etc it had to move over along with most of the other cars(and i am a sh#t driver to). The only car that got away on the straights were the 997 gt3's but once the ra-r is mapped and has a 3" exhaust fitted the story will probs have a different ending.

Immy

kennyc 19 April 2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by gordyra r (Post 7816248)
defis are a option too aswell as rear spoiler
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...r/HPIM4328.jpg

Car looks stunning Gordy! Cheers for the Impreza advice the other night, I now remember who you are aswell :)

rcwhite 19 April 2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7818209)
I'd love to see how these cars would get on with, say something like mine. Fairly modified in each area, but quite a bit more power.

Same driver, same track kinda head-to-head.

I know there's no comparison out of the box and i love the exclusitevity of these beasties, but how different are they "really".

Well mate if your ever down the midlands way drop me a pm can go out for a little spin :norty:

The Sheep Worrier 02 April 2014 05:23 PM

Thread resurrection here!!!

Can anybody tell me the visual differences between an 05 Spec C and a Spec C RA please?

Off to look at a Spec C RA tomorrow, and want to make sure it is what the gentleman says it is. Model codes ( through some research) are the same as the Spec C, and the gentleman dose t have any evidence (as such) .i.e written on the log book that its an RA. What turbo, suspension (sti pink lateral/trailing arms?) should it have , and any other obvious signs other than a couple of stickers and badges?

Thanks all for any info