ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   HM Revenue & Customs, Dumb or Dumber? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/681257-hm-revenue-and-customs-dumb-or-dumber.html)

coolangatta 13 April 2008 03:06 PM

HM Revenue & Customs, Dumb or Dumber?

The story so far; I left the UK six years ago. Everything was done as per the book. My company registered me as 'Non UK resident' and all the appropriate documentation was completed. I am a fully paid-up UK tax payer.
I've also got a tax consultant in the UK who, as far as I'm aware, has done all that is necessary to keep things in order.
However, Mr. Tax Man has decided not to play ball from the off.
I don't owe him jack sh1t, in fact the opposite is the case, yet HM Revenue has made himself a pain in the butt throughout :brickwall
I complete a tax return every year with the help of the consultant.
HM Revenue have been informed through my company and myself on dozens of occasions, in writing and verbally, that I am 'not UK resident and not a UK tax payer'.
Still they hound my elderly parents, my last UK address, with threats of fines for non return of tax returns (remember I do complete a tax return each year).
I've given them my address in Japan so that they don't need to hassle anyone other than me.
Today, I get a 'Short Tax Return 2008' posted to me in Japan. Bearing in mind they are fully aware that I'm 'Not UK resident', is it me or are they dumber than dumb. Second page "You must not use this Tax Return if you were not resident or not domiciled in the UK".
They posted the damn thing to my permanent home address in Japan :luxhello:
Well, it's your money they're spending:(

Terminator X 13 April 2008 03:19 PM

IR are just glorified debt collectors these days. They once sent my father a tax bill for £23k ... he's on PAYE for fecks sake :mad: After months of hassling him it turned out that he owed then nothing. Do you think he got an apology?

TX.

EddScott 13 April 2008 03:27 PM

Where does your money get paid to?

If the money earned overseas and is remitted to the UK, it is fully taxable.

In some cases individuals domiclied but not ordinarily resident in the UK are taxed on the remittance basis on income arising outside the UK
How often do you visit the UK and for how long (if at all)

coolangatta 13 April 2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 7805478)

How often do you visit the UK and for how long (if at all)

Paid in Japan, in Japanese yen. Non UK resident :)

Less than 1 month a year.
Are you employed by HM Revenue :confused:

RussBoy 13 April 2008 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 7805478)

Not true. You can easily elect to be tax domiciled elsewhere. It also depends on the status of UK earnings (i.e. as a sole trader, company director etc.). I'm Spanish registered, and a Spanish resident but earn money in the UK. My UK company (corporation) tax gets paid to HMRC in UK but my dividend tax (i.e. personal) gets paid to the Spanish authorities.

Back to the OP's point though...I'm not sure if I'm missing the point...but why are you doing a UK tax return then if domiciled in Japan for tax????

R

Brit_in_Japan 13 April 2008 07:34 PM

When I was in Japan I still completed a tax return because I had money in UK savings accounts and I was earning rent on my property in the UK. I could recover tax deducted at source so the net result was they would sent me a cheque, which was nice :)

coolangatta 14 April 2008 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan (Post 7806167)
When I was in Japan I still completed a tax return because I had money in UK savings accounts and I was earning rent on my property in the UK. I could recover tax deducted at source so the net result was they would sent me a cheque, which was nice :)

That's exactly why I complete a tax return each year.:)
However, that doesn't prevent HM Revenue from ignoring the fact that they have a tax return from me and then hassling my parents at an address they are fully aware I don't live at. Also wasting 'your' money posting returns to me in Japan that are clearly not to be used by anyone who does not live in the UK. :freak3:

Leslie 14 April 2008 11:47 AM

I think it just demonstrates the levels of competence these days in governmental departments!

Les

j4ckos mate 14 April 2008 02:32 PM

I deal extensively with customs and excise, god they must be utterley demoralised. totally hopeless all of them

Daryl 14 April 2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate (Post 7807705)
totally hopeless all of them

Pot. Kettle. Black... :lol1:

j4ckos mate 14 April 2008 05:20 PM

Why do you say that you dont know what i do?:wonder: