ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Should I go back to standard? What would you recommend? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/679512-should-i-go-back-to-standard-what-would-you-recommend.html)

JordanTypeR 05 April 2008 10:32 AM

Should I go back to standard? What would you recommend?

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice.

I've got a 98 Typr R, and it's been lowered on shocks and springs. This gives a really bumpy ride (which I'm not too fussed about because I've always had lowered cars so know the score), but with it being quite low it feels a bit impratical.

When I'm giving it a good blast down a country lane, if I hit a slight bump round a corner it can make it a bit twitchy because instead of gliding over it, it tends to bounce off it with it being so hard. I'm sure this would be perfectly suited to a track etc, but I use it for everyday use.

The car had this done already when I brought it so I don't have the standard suspension, or know what it's like with it.

Has anyone got and advice as to what I need? Whould I leave it as it is (it does look nice lowered)? Should I put standard suspension back on it? Put Prodrive springs on it and leave the shocks as they are?

It'd be nice if I could just drive on a field and comftorably rip a big donut without worrying about hitting every litle bump :norty:

Oh and I'm running 17" Speedlines on a 40 profile tyre I think off the top of my head :wonder:

Thanks, Jordan

911 05 April 2008 06:51 PM

IMHO:
Get some good Type R suspension, fit 20mm lower Eibach springs, 22mm front roll bar and 24 rear and the car will drive (glide?) over UK's B roads and be really stable.

For parts ask David at Welcome to the API website

JordanTypeR 06 April 2008 08:09 PM

So, do you mean put standard Type R shocks back on it then?

winker 06 April 2008 09:15 PM

hi i agree with 911 standard shocks with eibach springs got them on my type r

911 07 April 2008 07:37 AM

Yes. The type R for road spec is very good. Not very bling or fashinable byt well sorted.

go to more 'advanced' mods and you win in one quarter, loose in another.
It is too easy to loose the Impreza suppleness which makes them a very good UK road runner.

JordanTypeR 08 April 2008 08:26 PM

Ok then, standard shocks it is again with some 20mm springs for a start.

Can anyone tell me the part code for Type R shocks and where's the best place to get them from?

I've got a breaker near me but don't wanna get fobbed off with the wrong ones! Or should I get new ones? :wonder:

911 10 April 2008 07:16 AM

Start with a call to David at Welcome to the API website
There are others I'm sure but I know API well as a customer. I'm sure he will discuss the topic with you!

cyrusgod 09 January 2010 08:48 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have similar dillema.. did you ever get the shocks?
I bought my car (I am in Japan - MY99 STI) which came with some aftermarket coilovers and to be honest I am fed up with the ride - OK on a smooth road but 80% of the time shakes the car like a bugger!
I would like to revert to a standard STI/Prodrive setup.
How much did you pick them up for in the end? New items?

dunx 09 January 2010 02:39 PM

Last visited in July, I don't think you'll get an answer, but my pal has KYB adjustables on his and they are fine, you may get them at a good price out there ?

HTH

dunx

cyrusgod 09 January 2010 02:58 PM

Cheers for the response Dunc.
KYB are coilovers right? Japanese product? I just want a nice comfy ride - fed up with passengers complaining about the bumps!

The manual I have for mine says they are KTS - not the same I know but I am wondering if a cheap route is to source some softer springs for my existing setup.

172sport 09 January 2010 03:58 PM

No not coilovers, a very cost effective upgrade IMHO.

Its the nearest I've felt to the P1 setup.

KYB AGX are just replacement struts.

cyrusgod 09 January 2010 04:24 PM

So I would need to get some springs to fit, like prodrive or another brand. Thanks guys. Will do some googleing!

172sport 09 January 2010 07:07 PM

std P1 springs go great with KYB AGX struts.

I use std 95wrx springs but if some come up I'd go P1 springs as they are slightly lower, 20mm I reckon.

This setup along with roll bars is perfect for me on A/B roads and even pretty good on track.