ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HELP BOOSTING TO 2 BAR HELP?????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/679178-help-boosting-to-2-bar-help.html)

daniel_3855 03 April 2008 04:35 PM

HELP BOOSTING TO 2 BAR HELP??????

hi guys had an evo now for 2 weeks fitted an autometer boost gauge on my evo 8 fq300 today and its boosting to 2bar my car is standard the only mod i have done is the standard air box mod. its not overboosting as i would feel the overboost power something is sending wrong signals to my boost gauge i have tryed 2 gauges and both read the same. anyone help? been on mlr and no one noes whats wrong, i know there is some top tech guys on here from when i had my sti. help needed please?:thumb:

scoobian 03 April 2008 04:41 PM

is it a steady 2 bar or a peak?
is it erratic or a steady build up
can you hold the car slow(ish) on the brakes and kep your foot planted to see where the boost goes?

johnnyroper 03 April 2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by daniel_3855 (Post 7782565)
hi guys had an evo now for 2 weeks fitted an autometer boost gauge on my evo 8 fq300 today and its boosting to 2bar my car is standard the only mod i have done is the standard air box mod. its not overboosting as i would feel the overboost power something is sending wrong signals to my boost gauge i have tryed 2 gauges and both read the same. anyone help? been on mlr and no one noes whats wrong, i know there is some top tech guys on here from when i had my sti. help needed please?:thumb:

are you 100% sure it is not overboosting?

where is the gauge plumbed in?

daniel_3855 03 April 2008 05:09 PM

yes sure mate its not overboosting, builds up very smooth feels like nothing wrong, it boost to 2bar then drops just below 1.9. i have it t pieced on the vac pipe as close to the inlet i could get it thats what most people said on mlr to put it.? here Defi Controller and Gauge Fitting 'How To' - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

is there anywere elso to put the t-piece?:thumb:

scoobian 03 April 2008 05:16 PM

ERRR JUT A THOUGHT: its not measuring in psi is it (i.e you think its 2.0 but is actually 20psi)?

daniel_3855 03 April 2008 05:56 PM

no i had a bar gauge that goes up to 3 bar and its boosting 2 bar then fitted my autometer that goes up to 20psi and the neddle just goes all the way round. i have even phoned 3 mappers up and they dont no whats wrong:mad:

tow13 03 April 2008 06:34 PM

maybe an irritating reply but r u sure it is standard it may look it but cud be a sleeper see if the turbo is oe 2bar wheeee!

daniel_3855 03 April 2008 06:42 PM

yes mate its standard, had it looked at by a mapper the fuel cut is 1.5 bar ish so its just sending wrong signals? seen a couple of post on mlr like mine and people are saying actuator anyone no??????

tow13 03 April 2008 06:54 PM

could be actuator try some1 elses but surely this would activate the fuel cut

daniel_3855 03 April 2008 08:23 PM

anyone else no whats wrong come on guys?????:thumb:

Fat Boy 03 April 2008 08:37 PM

ask on www.bbs.22b.com thats where the real techy guys and mappers spend most of their time

The Fixer 03 April 2008 09:57 PM

Is the boost gauge electric or mechanical? Mot familiar with Autometer ones?

If it was boosting to 2 bar the fuel would cut (based on it being set at 1.5 bar) and the power would drop off.

shogo10 03 April 2008 10:33 PM

Get it rolling roaded to get accurate readings :)

daniel_3855 04 April 2008 08:36 AM

hi its mechanical, the cars not overboosting. as soon as it would hit 1.5bar it would cut out, something is sending wrong signals to the gauge? wonder if joly green monster will no whats wrong??????:thumb:

dan83590 04 April 2008 10:48 AM

A mechanical gauge simply reads the air pressure from the air inlet and any associated hoses after the turbo has done its bit. If two different gauges have shown the same and they are plumbed correctly the reading must be correct.

Perhaps try a third gauge, you never know, you may just be really unlucky and had two duff gauges.

sponners 04 April 2008 02:29 PM

wouldn't thought it would be 2 faulty gauges!

remember though that the 'boost cut' is not strictly boost pressure related but actually airflow.

have you tested the actuator? - by putting a pipe onto it and see if you can blow into it? - if you can then the diaphram is fubbered?

have you had the afrs checked?- could explain why its not hitting the fuel cut.