ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Help Please my second cat won't come off :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/677974-help-please-my-second-cat-wont-come-off.html)

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 01:20 PM

Help Please my second cat won't come off :(

Hi all,

I have purchased a second decat pipe for my 2001 wrx and am currently trying to fit it,

now this might sound like a really daft question but any ideas on how to get the old cat off? haha told you it would sound daft, the problem i have hit is that the bolts holding it on are different sizes and just dont seem to want to come off, should they be different sizes or is this wrong?

Cheers Nicola.

subarujimmy 29 March 2008 01:23 PM

I had to cut mine off and refit with new bolts. It was a bit of a nightmare! :(

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy (Post 7769520)
I had to cut mine off and refit with new bolts. It was a bit of a nightmare! :(

Haha was thinking they might need cutting off, they are in quite a tight place though what did you use to cut them off? again probably a daft question but i havent got time to be messing with the wrong tools lol

codie247 29 March 2008 01:35 PM

I always wizz round to the nearest Kwik fit, National etc, give one of the lads a couple of quid to fit for me. Better option i think if you run into problems, they have all the tools, bolts etc and it will be up on a ramp.

Lee

subarujimmy 29 March 2008 01:42 PM

Gas axe (oxy acetylene cutter).

If the bolts are corroded and worn you might be able to chisel them in half? Can't quite remember now.

As codie247 has said, if you havn't already started it, might be worth the £20 or so to get them to fit it??

Best of luck :)

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 01:45 PM

i have found out why i cant get it off, the cowboys who fit this last time have threaded the bolt into the cat, there is no nut holding it on to the car :( any ideas on how to get this out?

subarujimmy 29 March 2008 01:55 PM

Never heard of one fitted like this before.
You could always try warming it up with a blow torch, but try not to set it on fire! haha

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 02:45 PM

:lol: I aint even going there, have rung kwik fit and they have said that they can burn them off :eek:

So am off down there in 15mins, only thing is they won't fit the other pipe back on as it hasnt come from them so hopefully they wont mind me doing it while i am there, they cant really be expecting me to drive off without a cat on... can they :lol1:

subarujimmy 29 March 2008 03:00 PM

What area u in matey?

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 04:03 PM

Kwik fit, have burnt the bolts off :D Thanks for your help.

subarujimmy 29 March 2008 04:05 PM

No worries. Havn't done anything

Best of luck with the mods.

Which exhaust you got?

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy (Post 7769912)
No worries. Havn't done anything

Best of luck with the mods.

Which exhaust you got?

Thanks,

Even kwik fit couldnt get the bolt out of the cat fully so looks like it was the right idea to just go there,

I have got the hayward and scott cat back system and the prodrive second cat replacement pipe,

just incase anyone was wondering why i bothered my car is a uk300 but it hasnt got the ppp pack fitted,

what a difference it has made to the car though, especially when setting off, it used to judder a bit and wasnt a very easy car to drive really but now it has made all the difference and sets off fine, the noise hasnt gone too loud, bearable i'd say, and the difference in the drive is great

Chris.

nshaunluke 29 March 2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy (Post 7769785)
What area u in matey?

brighouse :thumb: