ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anybody using network streaming music? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/676996-anybody-using-network-streaming-music.html)

Deep Singh 28 March 2008 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by James Neill (Post 7767167)
I have an Xbox running XBMC and streaming (using a wireless bridge) from my main computer with all the music. Works well. Will also stream films, radio and tell me the weather :)

What do you use to navigate ? Do the options come up on the TV?

James Neill 28 March 2008 07:58 PM

Yep. You can use a controller or DVD remote. Looks like this

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/im...screenshot.jpg

http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/i...51be356e_o.jpg

http://www.eirikso.com/images/HTPC/XBMC.jpg

Dream Weaver 28 March 2008 11:41 PM

Does that use Xbox1, as I have one of those sat here doing nothing.

stevem2k 28 March 2008 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 7768720)
Does that use Xbox1, as I have one of those sat here doing nothing.

Yes.

Be aware that the xbox1 is quite noisy though.

James Neill 29 March 2008 12:45 AM

Yep, xbox1. Here are some useful links

Good beginer info
Xbox-Scene.com - Xbox 360 Xbox360 Modchips Xecuter3 Xenium SmartXX X-Chip X-B.I.T Xecuter2.6 Xodus - Gamesave Dashboard exploit - EvolutionX Avalaunch MXM Dashboard UnleashX - X2 & EvoX bios - Copy Xbox Hacks & Cracks tutorials faq - Cheapmod

How to get a modded XBox if you don't have a mod chip. xbox needs to be modded so you can install XBMC
How 2 XBOX > Home ( DNN 3.2.2 )

XBMC forum - all the info you need is in here
XBMC Community Forum

Latest XBMC builds here
T3CH XBMC BINARY RELEASES / DOWNLOADS for XBOX, Latest SVN = 2008-03-23 rev12263 : I AIM TO MISBEHAVE

James Neill 29 March 2008 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7768724)
Yes.

Be aware that the xbox1 is quite noisy though.

XBMC has a auto fan control. It'll run the fan at a variable speed to maintain a set temperative. My fan mostly runs at just 10% to keep things cool. Barely audible.

Deep Singh 29 March 2008 07:55 PM

James does this mean that you have to switch on the TV and your PC before you can listen to music?

Thanks

James Neill 29 March 2008 08:29 PM

PC - possibly. Because that's where my music is. You could use a NAS device or have the music on the Xbox hard drive though.

TV - no. XBMC has a little webserver built in and you can play different music by going to a web page. Kind of like using a laptop as a remote control

Deep Singh 30 March 2008 09:35 AM

James, I know nothing about XMBC so my questions may sound a little stupid.

Where is the webpage displayed? On your laptop or does the XBMC have its own display?

Thanks

James Neill 30 March 2008 09:43 AM

On my laptop.

XBMC has no display. It's just software that runs on a modded Xbox. So if you want to display the music then you need to have your TV on, or use a computer to connect to the XBMC web interface.

logiclee 30 March 2008 10:57 AM

I use my pc with TVersity installed and my PS3 to stream music and video onto my home cinema system.

Wireless music and video, Blu-ray player and the most advanced games console for £269.

Cheers
Lee

Deep Singh 31 March 2008 09:06 AM

Thats the problem. I don't want to have my laptop on when I want to listen to music. I'll have to go upstairs, get it from the study, boot it up etc. Also it means I need to cart it from room to room if I want to listen to music in different areas of the house and if my toddler finds it he'll destroy it in 10 seconds!

It is an amazing piece of kit for the money, but not what I'm after

James Neill 31 March 2008 10:47 AM

Have you go a Pocket PC with Wi-Fi? Would make a great remote!

Deep Singh 31 March 2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by James Neill (Post 7773964)
Have you go a Pocket PC with Wi-Fi? Would make a great remote!

No, good idea, but for the price I would pay for a pocket PC, and XBox I could get a Sonos. So Sonos it is I think.....
:)

Power Junkie 31 March 2008 12:37 PM

The sonos system is great, you will be happy with it :)

Deep Singh 31 March 2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Power Junkie (Post 7774191)
The sonos system is great, you will be happy with it :)

Thanks. Quick question, if its linked up to a NAS and my laptop is switched off can it still access Napster?

James Neill 16 November 2008 09:53 PM

After what has felt like years. The next stable version of XBMC has been released. Have it up and running and all the library functions now work really well.

Download here

T3CH XBMC BINARY RELEASES / DOWNLOADS for XBOX, Latest SVN = 2008-11-13 rev16144 : I AIM TO MISBEHAVE

More info here

XBMC ‘Atlantis’ released | XBMC Media Center

Deep Singh 17 November 2008 06:41 PM

I bought the Sonos for a good price and a Buffalo NAS. Haven't got around to setting it up though:(

Gordo 17 November 2008 10:24 PM

I spent ages researching this and ended up spending <£100 on an Apple airport express (edited to say I've just checked - £65 plus about £15 for the cable kit which gets you the optical out dongle).

Use the laptop to 'discover' it on wireless, connect an external hard drive (don't need to but it's a work laptop) and play via iTunes. Apple thingy has a clever 3.5mm jack that has an optical out buried in it- means I either play using a 3.5mm to 2 phonos into various speakers around the house, or use the optical out to play via our surround sound system - means the AV amp's DAC does the work and it sounds great (well, as good as mp3 gets I guess!).

Much cheaper, means I use the itunes interface I'm used to, great at parties etc (we connect the airport to speakers in the garden and play from the laptop in the house). I didn't fancy the sonos etc as they all seem expensive with questionable UIs and I'm not sure a much better solution isn't far away.

Good luck!

Gordo

OllyK 18 November 2008 08:18 AM

Another XBMC fan here. XBox of eBay with DVD remote dongle - £20, copy of MechAssault £5, Play It Again Chip thingy to patch XBox - £10. Took about 15 mins to get it all set up. Stream Films and Music from my server down to my TV / Stereo plus all the other little odds and sods you get with it as well!