ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   DCCD-A clunks (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/676913-dccd-a-clunks.html)

martyrobertsdj 25 March 2008 01:13 AM

DCCD-A clunks

Ok.......slippery road, booting it a bit, exiting a slow'ish uphil corner and as the diff obviously shifted some drive towards the front wheels, there's quite a clunk/bang......it does not sound very nice.

Is it normal?

martyrobertsdj 27 March 2008 02:13 PM

No-one? :(

rickya 27 March 2008 02:25 PM

Mine clunks at slow speeds, quite normal.

martyrobertsdj 27 March 2008 09:22 PM

Hmmm.....mine has done a bit of clunking in the past, but not when set in Auto.

In this instance it was different........imagine having a rear wheel drive car and then suddenly dropping a clutch to engage the front wheels......that's what it felt like.....not a progressive transfer of drive at all. :wonder:

Wonder if Evo IX's do it?? :norty:

13072304 04 April 2008 09:42 PM

my typer does it big time at the rear if you are changing gear quickly when accelerating! im told its normal and ive heard it in another 4-door scoob!

Jap Imports 06 April 2008 07:34 PM

Normal really i would say... got 05JDM DCCD, mine clonks about a bit sometimes....

ex-webby 08 April 2008 08:14 PM

Mine NEVER clonks when in Auto mode!

They may only do it when travelling at very slow speed with the diff fully open or one notch up.

Spec'c'57 08 April 2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7794944)

They may only do it when travelling at very slow speed with the diff fully open or one notch up.

Mine was the same as this. NEVER when in auto..

roadrange 08 April 2008 08:37 PM

dccd dif

i put my 06 sti hawkeye into prosport stockport last saturday with a horrible clonking noise/vibration when pulling of . more noticeable with some lock on the car has only done 20,000 miles had a call from claire at prosport today (tues) and told the centre diff was knackered. phew thankfully it still has warranty.

scooby-tc 08 April 2008 08:42 PM

have to say i get no clonking at all in DCCD-A

richie001 08 April 2008 08:54 PM

No clonking on mine in Auto

martyrobertsdj 08 April 2008 09:15 PM

Hmmm.....me thinks a visit to the supplying dealer may be called for. :(

Cheers folks.

Welloilbeefhooked 08 April 2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7794944)

Don't you mean with the diff locked? When open there should be NO noise at slow speed even when turning corners.

Wayne.

davidscooby 08 April 2008 10:20 PM

this is all confusing . should it bang and clunk or not???? at low speed when corning with dccd???

Welloilbeefhooked 08 April 2008 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by davidscooby (Post 7795367)
this is all confusing . should it bang and clunk or not???? at low speed when corning with dccd???

If the diff is locked or very nearly there then yes it will. With the diff fully open it wont.

When it does this try pulling up the hand brake by 1 notch to see if it switches the diff back to fully open as it should.

Wayne.

ex-webby 08 April 2008 11:14 PM

welloilbeefhooked,
Sorry.... brain not engaged. I meant the other way round. :D

DIPSY 03 May 2008 05:43 PM

Mine in a 05 jdm sti clunks aswell at low speeds in Dccd-a .It only does it when you change gear at low revs the noise comes from rear passenger side.If i take of pretty quick there is no clunk noise at all its weird .It not the shocks running tein super streets

Milamber 04 May 2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by DIPSY (Post 7850424)
Mine in a 05 jdm sti clunks aswell at low speeds in Dccd-a .It only does it when you change gear at low revs the noise comes from rear passenger side.If i take of pretty quick there is no clunk noise at all its weird .It not the shocks running tein super streets

Mine does too, was paranoid at first but it seems normal. At high revs no problem but low revs and a bit of a clunk when I engage. Not even a clunk, just a noise when the drivetrain picks up really.