ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone storing their own DERV? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/676846-anyone-storing-their-own-derv.html)

Diesel 24 March 2008 09:34 PM

Anyone storing their own DERV?

Just wondering if there is any milage (lol) in getting a tank and buying 300 gallons of Derv at wholesale prices to stock at home? Is this cheaper than Tesco? It is the same 'bulk; principle I apply to buying other stuff from Costco/Makro after all...

I really need to pay less as it has just cost me £70 in fuel to go see my ol' mum and dad over Easter. Its a bl00dy luxury now to stay in touch with your parents!!!

D (actively seeking solutions - and pls dont suggest trains - we have about 4 in Wales...and they all run left to right not up and down)

kingofturds 24 March 2008 09:39 PM

Cheap fecking old diesel and plenty of vegetable oil:thumb: although vegetable oil is 80p a litre now:( used to be 49p a litre 18 months ago.

Pick up my 96 primera diesel next week

Gordo 24 March 2008 09:46 PM

errr - no is the simple answer, I'm afraid.

you'd need a fuel licence, and it would cost you for the tank. you'd need a lot more than 300 gallons for a sensible delivery - i.e. you'd be setting up a tank large enough to supply a petrol station to make it worth your while. It would only work when oil prices were rising unless you had the fuel throughput of a fuel station - otherwise you'd definitely lose money on the downside

a bunch of rambling from me (i've had a drink) but the bottom line is stomach it and get on with life. investing in a big fuel tank isn't the way forward. having an excuse not to visit the in-laws feels good to me!

G

Diesel 24 March 2008 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 7757202)
investing in a big fuel tank isn't the way forward. having an excuse not to visit the in-laws feels good to me!
G

LOL;)

You can get 300 gal deliveries mate (check me handle ;) ) just like central heating oil (as some heating systems actually use diesel). Guess I need to make a few calls to suppliers. And no there is NO way I'm thinking of getting red diesel or putting sunflower oil through my 350Lb Ft Beemer with 6 x fuel injectors @ £300 each jobbie.

D

kingofturds 24 March 2008 09:54 PM

False set of plates, and a heavy right foot leaving the forecourt =:D much cheaper

Puff The Magic Wagon! 24 March 2008 10:02 PM

You dont need a licence for diesel as heating oil is the same stuff and you don't need one for that.

The problem is the minimum amount that you can have delivered :D

dpb 24 March 2008 10:05 PM

.and the possibilty getting you tank dipped by the fuzz :wonder:

Wurzel 24 March 2008 10:25 PM

My house has a 1000 litre oil tank for the heating and costs about 700 euros to fill up. No licence needed for it either.

Luan Pra bang 24 March 2008 10:40 PM

you can buy them secind hand for here and there. My old next door neighbour had a tank full of red for his tractor.

NotoriousREV 24 March 2008 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7757173)
Cheap fecking old diesel and plenty of vegetable oil:thumb: although vegetable oil is 80p a litre now:( used to be 49p a litre 18 months ago.

Pick up my 96 primera diesel next week

ASDA are doing Pura for 59p a litre

Lee247 24 March 2008 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 7757372)
My house has a 1000 litre oil tank for the heating and costs about 700 euros to fill up. No licence needed for it either.

How much :eek:

1000 litre tank here too, £548. 400% increase in the last 5 years.
So, who is it, the Oil Companies or the Government????

How come Wurzels is sooooo much cheaper than mine. :mad:

fatherpierre 24 March 2008 11:34 PM

Got to be LPG mate.

I've just picked up an ebay cheapo. A 1985 W123 Merc 230E with a 50 litre LPG tank. 49.9p a litre near me and it does ~30mpg on it :smug:

For the amount it has saved me thus far I need to do another 1200 miles in it to have paid for itself and the fully comp insurance :smug:

DYK 25 March 2008 12:17 AM

no but i was thinking about digging down to one of the fuel lines that suuplies the airports and tapping into it.:)

Diesel 25 March 2008 12:09 PM

Well I just called a local supplier and they do DERV for 96p a litre - sounds promising as its about £1.15 on the forecourt. Looks like I can save £190 every 10 weeks or so for me by having it on tap :thumb: :D

I then called them back and asked if it included VAT...it didnt...so that's a dead duck now then :( Thought that was going to be the best idea I had this year:mad::o;)

D

john_s 25 March 2008 06:23 PM

We have a 5000 litre diesel tank at work. As you've discovered, there's no great saving to be had buying in bulk. Supermarkets are usually cheaper than a bulk delivery TBH.

You can gain a bit if you fill the tank before a price increase, but it is a bit of a gamble.

The biggest benefit we found is the greater control we have over the diesel - we know it's going into one of our vans. When we used fuel cards, it was rumoured that one employee was filling more than his works van with it.

It was a huge advantage when the fuel protests were on a few years ago, as we had a tankful of diesel to keep us going when people were struggling to buy it on the forecourt.

pauly 25 March 2008 07:51 PM

simple answer is no you won't save any money

boss pays about 3p a litre less (or did when I last saw the reciepts, it was 92 for him and 95 on the forcourts at the time)
take the cost of the tank into consideration, a tank of any decent size is gonna be a good few quid,

he buys 25000 litres at a time,
done it mainly for convienience (sp) ie the trucks fill up in the yard at the end of the day rather than feckin about on garage forcourts with fuel cards in the morning/evening rush hour

Diesel 25 March 2008 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by pauly (Post 7759444)
simple answer is no you won't save any money

Nope:(

I am now researching Iranian home fission devices and putting a windmill on top of the car to charge a battery ;)

D

NotoriousREV 26 March 2008 08:59 PM

I said this on another thread: why not look into LPG fumigation. Add an LPG kit to your diesel to deliver 25:75 ratio of LPG to diesel. Gives ~20% hike in power and a ~30% improvement to fuel economy and reduces your pence per mile. Works on ALL diesels.

Diesel 26 March 2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 7762541)
I said this on another thread: why not look into LPG fumigation. Add an LPG kit to your diesel to deliver 25:75 ratio of LPG to diesel. Gives ~20% hike in power and a ~30% improvement to fuel economy and reduces your pence per mile. Works on ALL diesels.

Now that would take some research! However good to know you can use it on Diesels. Any tax advantage? D

Luan Pra bang 26 March 2008 11:18 PM

Get a tank and go red ;)

NotoriousREV 26 March 2008 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 7763101)
Now that would take some research! However good to know you can use it on Diesels. Any tax advantage? D

You can buy kits for it, been used in the US for ages and the Aussies are catching on to it. There's a couple of places doing it over here. I was thinking BMW 335d + DMS + LPG = ~400bhp and 60mpg :lol1:

Not sure whether going LPG lowers your tax or makes you C-charge exempt, but I think so.

lozgti 27 March 2008 09:52 AM

Reminded me of this story:D

BBC News | UK | Taxi driver faces jail for fuel hoarding

Diesel 27 March 2008 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 7763810)

Unbelievable!!! At least with Diesel you can drop a match into it and the match goes out. With petrol YOU go out! D

nooobyscoooby 28 March 2008 02:06 AM

The other thing is the quality of the fuel. Cheapo diesel could easily be more expensive in the long run if pumps/injectors wear more quickly.

And if you buy your diesel stock in the summer, it will wax in winter temperatures if you don't use it quickly enough.

StickyMicky 28 March 2008 11:15 AM

= red ;)

Diesel 28 March 2008 12:08 PM

Anyone know what TVO is - that takes me back a bit! Maybe this is the answer! ;)

Dr.No 28 March 2008 02:48 PM

<pedant mode>

It's 'diesel' not 'DERV' in this context....

DERV is what you put the diesel in!

</pedant mode>

Diesel 28 March 2008 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.No (Post 7767160)
<pedant mode>

It's 'diesel' not 'DERV' in this context....

DERV is what you put the diesel in!

</pedant mode>

Disagree! You order DERV for the Landrover and Diesel for the tractor. ?

D