ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS3 price drop? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/676593-ps3-price-drop.html)

Brun 23 March 2008 08:31 PM

PS3 price drop?

I'm really sorry to do this to all you people, but i just had to start yet another PS3 thread :(
I'm startin to get itchy feet and will soon be shelling out the notes for one. I just want to check that the prices are gonna stay stable for a while. I understand Sony are bringing out an 80gig model - do you think this will knock the price of the 40 or they will just charge more for it? I have no real problem with splashing the cash, but i would be a touch annoyed if they were £50 cheaper in a few weeks time :) I'm waiting for GT5 really so i'm in no real rush :D

BooSH 23 March 2008 09:37 PM

I doubt they will be releasing an 80gb model they couldn't sell the 60gb which was the reason the released the 40gb they did sell the 80gb model in the grand old USA but i think they've stopped selling that there now.

Geezer 23 March 2008 11:32 PM

I duno, seems to be an awful lot of talk about bigger capacit PS3s about now, can't all be speculation.

However, cosodering the cheapness of drives, I would be surprised if larger capacity was th only opton. Expect smaller and better featrured

geezer

BooSH 24 March 2008 11:14 AM

You can buy a Seagate 2.5" 160gb harddrive that slots straight into the ps3 for about £80 anyway, it's not hard to upgrade the hard drive in them, unlike the xbox.

Brun 24 March 2008 11:24 AM

I get the impression i should just pull my finger out and splash the cash :D

T5OLF 24 March 2008 11:41 AM

This seems like a good price if you want games with it. I am buying one just for the bluray player as I don't really have time to play games now I have a new baby. The sumsung 1400 BR player is 200 quid for another 60 quid I can buy a PS3 and have the option to play games/store films etc. And the sammy is only profile 1.

PC_World - PS3 Hardware

I think Dixons are doing the same deal and with SAVE10 discount code you can get another 10 pound off I think.
Dixons - Low Priced Electricals

J4CKO 24 March 2008 11:45 AM

I will wait and get one when it gets a bit cheaper, already have a 360 and a Wii that I dont play that often but I want a Blu Ray drive, Now the 360 is only £189 the PS3 looks expensive at £285, when it drops to £200 I can justify it, might be a while !

DJ Dunk 24 March 2008 11:47 AM

I'd expect to see a Dual Shock/Metal Gear Solid bundle when the game releases.

I won't be buying one all the while they come with the Six Axis controller.

Shark Man 24 March 2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7755750)
I will wait and get one when it gets a bit cheaper, already have a 360 and a Wii that I dont play that often but I want a Blu Ray drive, Now the 360 is only £189 the PS3 looks expensive at £285, when it drops to £200 I can justify it, might be a while !

In a similar boat, think when they hit £200 as a package I'll go and get one. By then I should have completely exhausted the crop of reasonably priced Wii games that interest me (Wii was probably not the best platform for someone who likes violent realistic games ;) )

bugeyeandy 24 March 2008 12:54 PM

There's a slim and lite version of the PS3 rumoured to be coming out late this year. I think i'll wait until then because at the moment the thing is like a giant black beached whale :)

messiah 24 March 2008 01:11 PM

some online shops have them for £260 now. I wouldn't worry about the hdd capacity as you can easily swap the hdd over for a bigger one without invalidating the warranty - its just a laptop sata drive.

messiah 24 March 2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy (Post 7755878)
There's a slim and lite version of the PS3 rumoured to be coming out late this year. I think i'll wait until then because at the moment the thing is like a giant black beached whale :)

I wouldnt bet on that - its too soon in the Ps3's lifespan - there have been some mockups, but thery're no more than photo-chops, and I know which magazine has been printing it - the same one that said were was going to be a 360 with a built in hd dvd drive and an Apple multi-touch tablet...

Mr.Manchester 24 March 2008 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy (Post 7755878)

I bought one lastweek, there not much bigger than a 360.....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...er1/triple.jpg

I will admit they run a lot smoother and feel miles better in terms of build quality.

BooSH 24 March 2008 03:15 PM

And with the 360 you have the addition of the bulky power adaptor, thats all built into the ps3.

bugeyeandy 24 March 2008 04:03 PM

I bought one lastweek, there not much bigger than a 360.....
Yep thats right, not much bigger in the same was a Mondeo isn't much bigger than a mini :lol:

bugeyeandy 24 March 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyeandy View Post
There's a slim and lite version of the PS3 rumoured to be coming out late this year. I think i'll wait until then because at the moment the thing is like a giant black beached whale
I wouldnt bet on that - its too soon in the Ps3's lifespan - there have been some mockups, but thery're no more than photo-chops, and I know which magazine has been printing it - the same one that said were was going to be a 360 with a built in hd dvd drive and an Apple multi-touch tablet...
Yep, it was T3! I hold out some hope , as do I hope that the PS3 will eventually drop to £200 :D

bugeyeandy 24 March 2008 04:05 PM

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/imag...lim_mockup.jpg

Mr.Manchester 24 March 2008 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy (Post 7756221)
Yep thats right, not much bigger in the same was a Mondeo isn't much bigger than a mini :lol:

Slightly OTT comparison don't you think? :rolleyes:

Even the biggest of idiots can see there almost the same in height and depth considering the HDD ontop of the 360 :p

bugeyeandy 25 March 2008 01:16 AM

Mmm, some people sure are sensitive in this place. Someone has negged my post for that :freak3:

Anyway, Mr Manchester - I am prone to exaggeration :D

bob269 25 March 2008 01:27 AM

Funniest thing is you all moan about how small and quiet your consoles should be yet go out and buy the biggest loudest pc you can find which would put a jumbo jet to shame when it's powering up, and all to play solitaire on :D

Shark Man 25 March 2008 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 7757906)
Funniest thing is you all moan about how small and quiet your consoles should be yet go out and buy the biggest loudest pc you can find which would put a jumbo jet to shame when it's powering up, and all to play solitaire on :D

You haven't heard the DVD drive on my Wii...I'm tempted to take the discs down to kwik-fit to get them balanced :freak3: