ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Aftermarket dumpvalves are sh#t!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/675804-aftermarket-dumpvalves-are-sh-t.html)

rodgtt 20 March 2008 11:00 AM

Aftermarket dumpvalves are sh#t!!!!!!!!!!

this aint a question at all i just wanted to add that since ive removed my Forge vta and put the standard valve on theres been sooooooo much improvement! no more lumpy or funny idling, smoother gear changes and much better fuel consumption and all for what...a boy racery 'woooshhhhh' on every gear change. its not worth the noise, trust.

Tidgy 20 March 2008 11:14 AM

never had any problems with mine

Glowplug 20 March 2008 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7745933)
never had any problems with mine

No probs here either, and its a Forge VTA :lol1:

girl-in-a-scoob 20 March 2008 11:24 AM

no problems with my forge either

Steve001 20 March 2008 12:06 PM

ditto :)

but i do service mine at least twice a year, good clean and a smear of grease.

nothing quite like a bit of grease when you have a dump - ooooh errrr! :D;)

Glowplug 20 March 2008 12:39 PM

Can/do dv's make that much diff to mpg, or is it just the addiction to the whoooosh that makes you give it that bit more boot all the time hence using more juicey?? :norty:

magicgreg 20 March 2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 7746183)
Can/do dv's make that much diff to mpg, or is it just the addiction to the whoooosh that makes you give it that bit more boot all the time hence using more juicey?? :norty:

I think there is a bit of that but a VTA does alter the air/fuel ratio I think which makes the car run rich therefore increasing mpg.

Thats as technical as I get unfortunately and it could be completely wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and explain soon.......

G

Claaarkio 20 March 2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by magicgreg (Post 7746226)
I think there is a bit of that but a VTA does alter the air/fuel ratio I think which makes the car run rich therefore increasing mpg.

Thats as technical as I get unfortunately and it could be completely wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and explain soon.......

G

thats pretty much it, but only on lift off / overrun / part throttle where the dump valve is open and the intake is no longer explicitly controlled by way of the maf.

Dave :)

classic Subaru Si 20 March 2008 01:54 PM

No probs on mine either, and it's been on it for 8 years!!

The rookie 20 March 2008 01:56 PM

Sounds like it was leaking slightly when it should have been shut...

Simon

rodgtt 20 March 2008 02:08 PM

Wow only a couple of hours and a good response! I think mine could have been leaking, but it has been on my import since I bought it 6 months ago and god know how long before that. Seen a few threads saying they're useless etc so thought id give it a go and change it. Im not joking, but unless my forge was knakered then id recommend getting the standard back on... mpg has shot up bigtime, you get a nice turbo chatter on lift off and dont scare old grannies half to death when passing by and for me it runs alot smoother. It does make sense what magic craig is saying about the air/fuel mix so maybe thats why im seeing a big difference. anyway, im happy

dunx 20 March 2008 02:25 PM

You should slow down and drive like PSLewis, he's never heard his dump valve open...
On mine I only get it to open under very heavy load, when it's really cold !
FMIC !

DunxC

Tidgy 20 March 2008 02:29 PM

i get a right good bit of wastegate chatter when i drop a large one,,,

Claaarkio 20 March 2008 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7746485)
i get a right good bit of wastegate chatter when i drop a large one,,,

I just get a load of splashback when i drop a large one :)

Tidgy 20 March 2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Claaarkio (Post 7746493)
I just get a load of splashback when i drop a large one :)

its the risk you take with the large ones, try different angles and you may reduce the amount,,,,

Daft Lad 20 March 2008 03:20 PM

:lol1: @ you two, I'd join in but I think I may lower the tone just that bit too far :(

Never had any problems with my HKS SSQV though, for my two penneth! :)

magicgreg 21 March 2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Daft Lad (Post 7746624)
Never had any problems with my HKS SSQV though, for my two penneth! :)

Seconded.

Clarkie172 21 March 2008 03:00 PM

Im getting a bailey one but unsure whether or not to fit. I may try it and see