ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   there's only one ronaldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/675751-theres-only-one-ronaldo.html)

new boy 19 March 2008 11:18 PM

there's only one ronaldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonight..he took the best record for goals scored in a season by any man utd player.

that record was 40 years old and done by a certain mr george best.
and theres still some games left

shame he's not english

ads

STi wanna Subaru 20 March 2008 12:57 AM

Your facts are wrong.

pauld37 20 March 2008 07:01 AM

Another one of your true Man USA fans :Whatever_

P1Fanatic 20 March 2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by new boy (Post 7745223)
tonight..he took the best record for goals scored in a season by any man utd player.

that record was 40 years old and done by a certain mr george best.
and theres still some games left

shame he's not english

ads

Record for goals scored by a utd winger in a single season. Best 32, Ronaldo 33 with minimum 10 games remaining. Im not quite sure how many games Best played in that season so its all relative. Just the usual media spin.

Simon

P1Fanatic 20 March 2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pauld37 (Post 7745587)
Another one of your true Man USA fans :Whatever_

Could be worse - his name could be ash :)

Simon

STi wanna Subaru 20 March 2008 09:46 AM

As P1F says it's beaten he number scored by Best in a season.

Originally Posted by Wiki
In the 2002-03 season, van Nistelrooy scored 44 goals in 52 games

Funkii Munkii 20 March 2008 12:34 PM

Facts

Most League goals in a season: 32 - Dennis Viollet, Division 1, 1959-60

Most goals in a season in all competitions: 46 - Denis Law, 1963-64

alcazar 20 March 2008 01:10 PM

Only one Ronaldo? Thank God for that, we wouldn't want any more cheating, diving whining Portuguese gits, would we now?:D

Alcazar

Reality 21 March 2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 7746165)
Facts

Most League goals in a season: 32 - Dennis Viollet, Division 1, 1959-60

Most goals in a season in all competitions: 46 - Denis Law, 1963-64

Ronnie will probably beat both those by the end of the season.

:thumb:

STi wanna Subaru 21 March 2008 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 7746236)
Only one Ronaldo? Thank God for that, we wouldn't want any more cheating, diving whining Portuguese gits, would we now?:D

Alcazar

Nani? ;)

ash1 21 March 2008 12:31 PM

how many of those goals are toe pokers?

moneys 21 March 2008 02:12 PM

fantastic player, he would really thrive in a good team:thumb:

ash1 22 March 2008 10:15 AM

yep, he was first offered to LFC at a paltry 4m, ged houllier turned him down as he wanted £1m a year in wages at the age of 18.

chocolate_o_brian 23 March 2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ash1 (Post 7750939)
yep, he was first offered to LFC at a paltry 4m, ged houllier turned him down as he wanted £1m a year in wages at the age of 18.

more the fool those scouse-iards, sorry, spaniards:Whatever_

i can take a little bit of "theatricals" for a player who by manys estimations is the best in the world bar none at the minute. 33 goals from midfield is a nice after thought too.

flame suit on from all the bitter a.b.u. fans throughtout the world of scoobynet. im off for the second half.

STi wanna Subaru 30 March 2008 01:48 PM

He just keeps getting better and better. genius

P1Fanatic 30 March 2008 05:55 PM

One audacious back heel (not even ash could class that as a toe poker :lol:) and 3 assists. Awesome.

Simon

spireite 30 March 2008 08:19 PM

another foriegn fact

and heres another favorite of mine

who's that lying on the runway :thumb:

rigga 30 March 2008 10:44 PM

Great back heel

Against the Villa.......... even better........ lol

Bluenose through and through

Funkii Munkii 31 March 2008 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by spireite (Post 7772890)

who's that lying on the runway :thumb:

Sick Cnut

davegtt 31 March 2008 09:10 AM

Was discussing him over the weekend in the pub, as much as I hate the guy I cant deny he is just pure class and great to watch. Super goal on Saturday :)

DaveBeck 31 March 2008 10:27 AM

im hoping wenger with his eye for youth tallent can get someone like him as arsenal are missing someone like that. walcott has been exceptional in that position when coming on as a sub but im not putting theo in ronaldos league.
i hate him but the boys got skills. best player in the world? only messi for me is a challenger

davegtt 31 March 2008 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DaveBeck (Post 7773918)
i hate him but the boys got skills. best player in the world? only messi for me is a challenger

Kaka IMO has an edge over Messi.

Funkii Munkii 31 March 2008 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DaveBeck (Post 7773918)

I'm always curious when I read someone "hates" so and so

Other than the fact he's a Utd player and gets more spit roast action than most why exactly do you hate him ?? :)

DaveBeck 31 March 2008 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 7773991)
I'm always curious when I read someone "hates" so and so

Other than the fact he's a Utd player and gets more spit roast action than most why exactly do you hate him ?? :)

his cockyness, yes your a good player but no need to suck your own dick. always falling over, moaning ,diving.
arrigance towards people. i know why he has it, he's a young player top of his game. world at his feet.
im a gooner and obviously what he brings to man utd is 99% certain the tittle again. man utd wouldnt of been where they are without him(same goes for all the top 4 clubs with there star men) and i dont like to see man utd do well.
he might be a top bloke but ive never met him. just going on what i see of him, first impressions and all that.
hate is a strong word i agree. but above is my honest opinions. i think if he played for newcastle:lol1: i would only dislike him:thumb:

Funkii Munkii 31 March 2008 02:58 PM

All valid points, but all great players have the arrogant streak, Henry springs to mind, now he thought he was bigger than the club, the moody stares, the shrug of the shoulders, lauding it up after scoring, especially in his last 2 years there, who did he think he was Cantona ? :lol1:they all have it, and if we were that good we'd have it as well :thumb:

DaveBeck 31 March 2008 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 7774511)
All valid points, but all great players have the arrogant streak, Henry springs to mind, now he thought he was bigger than the club, the moody stares, the shrug of the shoulders, lauding it up after scoring, especially in his last 2 years there, who did he think he was Cantona ? :lol1:they all have it, and if we were that good we'd have it as well :thumb:

dam right i would :lol1: but im not so i hate him:lol1: :lol1:
henry was a gooner. can do no wrong :luxhello: i see what you mean though

STi wanna Subaru 31 March 2008 03:59 PM

Not much to argue with here.... from bbc.co.uk

But I have to say the discussions in the Blue Bell on Saturday were not about the things to come. I happened to say I thought Cristiano Ronaldo was now the best player to ever play in the Premier League. Well that put a fire under even the mildest man's backside.

But who's been better? Shearer? Zola? Henry? Bergkamp? All right they've all been great in their own way, but has anyone taken a season by storm in quite the way the Portuguese lad has?

Now, I know the arguments against...

1. He's not been around for very long.
Well, he's been around long enough for teams to have worked out a way of playing him. But unless your squad's got a whippet who's strong in the tackle, you can forget it.

2. He dives.
Well yes, he does. It's embarrassing, too, cos he's a strapping lad and he shouldn't need to. The pitiful, cow-eyed gestures at the refs don't help either (not that there's a professional player worth his salt who won't be falling over every time they set foot in the opposition's area if Rob Styles is the ref).

Even so, put the ball at this lad's feet, watch him go and you can forgive some of the other stuff.

3. He's a poser.
True again. Sometimes the lad seems to have half of Boots in his hair - he looks like a drag artist without the wig on. The ear-rings, the double-shuffles, the chest-out strutting...I dunno.

I'd like to hold it against him too, but frankly if I could run at 200 mph with a ball on a piece of a string I might walk around like I was God almighty 'n' all.

4. That wink.
He got Rooney sent off in the World Cup, people say. Well, hardly. He didn't trample Carvalho's crotch and then push himself over. Yeah, it wasn't his greatest moment but footballers have prayed on the stupidities of other footballers for years. The same people might argue that Materazzi got Zidane sent off 'cos of what he said. Crap.

My point about Cristiano is he has a bit of all the other players mentioned. He terrifies like Henry with his pace, he has the nous of Bergkamp when he needs it - and he's better in the air than either of them.

His goal tally's up there with big Al, and he has invented an entirely new free-kick that defies belief.

He turns the ball into one of them crappy plaggy jobs that you used as a kid when the casey had got a puncture. It swerves and dips and curves and flips. It'd bamboozle Stephen Hawking let alone Jussi Jaaskeleinen.

Then there's the flicks and the wiggles and the shimmies. If Pan's People had taken up footie it would've looked a bit like Ronaldo.

Of course these are the sort of things that English schoolboys have shaken out of them the moment they step out on to the local quagmire.

'Save that for the samba classes, you Jessie! You can have some time with the ball when you've run round the pitch 10 times! And even then I don't want you hanging on to it for too long. Get it oop the pitch!' (Ooh dear, am I betraying Gary Megson's coaching secrets here?)

The result of this Neanderthal approach is a national team that tends to treat the football like a hand grenade with the pin out.

Me, I could watch Ronaldo play every day. The backheel was just further evidence of the lad's genius. (Why is it called a backheel any road? Surely you can't heel it forwards?)

To me, he's taken what's possible on a football pitch to a higher level.

If he can stay vertical and cut out the bleating when someone has the audacity to get the ball off him – and if he can put up with my missus drooling like a Labrador over a T-bone steak - then I can safely say he's had no peers in the English game for the last 15 years.

Funkii Munkii 31 March 2008 04:42 PM

'Save that for the samba classes, you Jessie! You can have some time with the ball when you've run round the pitch 10 times! And even then I don't want you hanging on to it for too long. Get it oop the pitch!' (Ooh dear, am I betraying Gary Megson's coaching secrets here?)
Superb :thumb:

Ted Maul 31 March 2008 05:13 PM

There's no doubt he's the best player in the prem this season, I can't comment on the likes of messi, kaka etc as I don't watch those leagues in detail.

As for the best player ever in the prem, for me there is no argument, it is Henry...at the moment.

from premier league website

00/01 season Goals 17 Assists 7
01/02 season Goals 24 Assists not available
02/03 season Goals 24 Assists 23 :notworthy
03/04 season Goals 30 Assists 8
04/05 season Goals 25 Assists 14
05/06 season Goals 27 Assists 6
06/07 season Goals 10 Assists 4 (injured for half the year and looking for the door.... ;) bear in mind only a few penalties in this lot over the years as he never took them when he was the one fouled..and he was fouled a lot...

As for Ronaldo

04/05 season Goals 5 Assists 4
05/06 season Goals 9 Assists 6
06/07 season Goals 17 Assists 13
07/08 season (so far) Goals 26 Assists 6

there's 4 pens in this years goals

now the way the United and Arsenal play I feel that neither of these players is a winger or a striker so the comparisions based on position are futile I feel. They both play fluid forward type roles.

If Ronaldo can keep up his current scoring and assist record for another 3 years then I would say he is as good as Henry. (he has age on his side) If he can do it for longer, and against the big teams (he's a flat track bully like Henry I feel here...) then he could be considered the best ever in the prem. But at the moment, it is Henry, no question. In fact I feel that this season for Rnanldo is still not as amazing as Henry's 02/03 season, although he won nothing that year.

DaveBeck 31 March 2008 06:43 PM

23 assists in a season = god not to mention goals in the 20's for 5 years.
very nice find.