ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Can i get A/C??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/675051-can-i-get-a-c.html)

Underworld 16 March 2008 11:42 PM

Can i get A/C???

On a model that dsnt have a/c... like aftermarket or something.....

if so, for how much can i get it installed???

classic 97 sport

satancom 16 March 2008 11:46 PM

You can buy all the parts from a car thats being broken, same year would be best :)

Underworld 16 March 2008 11:58 PM

how about fitting ??? easy peasy?? i mean not a FORTUNE to get it done???

dunx 17 March 2008 12:17 AM

DIY if you need to save the pennies, plenty of hard work stripping the dash out.... try a breakers for cost of parts, then fit, and pay for re-gassing.

DunxC

martwrxsl 17 March 2008 12:21 AM

why are you thinking of a/c we have no summer? and it's a drain on your mpg and performance. I could understand it if you lived in spain:lol1: .

Underworld 17 March 2008 12:33 AM

It gets HOT in summer down here :wonder: :wonder: :wonder: dont it???

martwrxsl 17 March 2008 12:44 AM

Yes. But not hot enough to modify a car from non a/c to a/c. Sorry I was taking the p!ss about the question. They usually fit the a/c as standard when they build the cars. Not sure where the condenser or compressor is mounted on your car but it would mean taking everything apart to fit plumbing pipework where it should have been. It's up to you mate but I wouldn't fancy it. Forgot to mention taking the dash of as well.

Underworld 17 March 2008 12:52 AM

looks a big job... would rather leave it now lol.... i had no idea what needs to be done.

i thought the layout of both a/c and non a/c cars were the same, except the a/c bit of course....

I find summer quite hot down here, and most of the time i drive in the traffic of central london - which adds up to more heat lol

MikeCardiff 17 March 2008 09:06 AM

When I was looking to buy my car I didnt even consider A/C but having used it now I wouldnt want to drive in the summer without it - makes a big difference on the motorway when you can shut the windows so dont get all the noise and cruise along nicely chilled.

Personally wouldnt bother trying to fit it to your car as it would probably be cheaper to sell the car and buy another with it already fitted as it doesnt add anything to the second hand value, even though it was a £1200 !!! option new.

scooby2! 17 March 2008 12:41 PM

you can get new kits fitted to them still for around the 1200 mark and usually takes upto a couple of days max to get it fitted

try this company below and speak to sam, they are the best at this kind of thing in the uk

Alpinair Vehicle Air Conditioning

Ryo 17 March 2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by scooby2! (Post 7738117)
you can get new kits fitted to them still for around the 1200 mark and usually takes upto a couple of days max to get it fitted

try this company below and speak to sam, they are the best at this kind of thing in the uk

Alpinair Vehicle Air Conditioning

I had it fitted to my00 last april - got it done by my local subaru garage by the same company that fitted them as an optional extra back when the classics were being sold new (coldair or something similar).

It was all original parts & took most of the day to fit.

Cost roughly £1200 to have done - one of the best things I did to the car and I dont regret it one bit.

[Davey] 17 March 2008 04:00 PM

Seriosly NOT worth the agro.. Better to just buy another car with A/C..

CupraDave 17 March 2008 04:07 PM

I have the all parts for a/c PM me if you want them

Ryo 17 March 2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7738599)
Seriosly NOT worth the agro.. Better to just buy another car with A/C..

Depends how much you like your current car, how much you want AC and how much cash you have.

For me it made sense at the time.

GazTheHat 17 March 2008 05:31 PM

Just open the window. :)

Underworld 17 March 2008 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 7738758)
Just open the window. :)

i'l get more heat coming in